fave TM song........

Lol, well not EVERYTIME or you'd explode. BOOM! ;} You'd get wayyyyy to full before long! :cD

(I'm ridiculous, aren't I folks? lol)

Bryant said:
Sweden ranks pretty high as far as putting out some quality bands and it is said, they have more musicians than any other country for the population. I have several net friends that are nuts over POS. I can tell you that I will be eating a cheeseburger and sucking down some brews while they are playing, but I do respect their following.

Bryant

Wouldn't surprise me Pabla... lol, considering that I think twice before removing any of then from my cd player to put anything in, even to listen to Fates Warning... ;}

Well I'm an okay guitarist but I'm not winning any awards, lol. On the other hand I ROCK at air guitar, lol. ;vD

Pabla said:
:ill: My vocals are terrible and I have 2 guitars at home, please don't ask me if I know how to play them though! It gets quite frustrating as I love music so much but have absolutely no affinity to be able to make any of my own. In my frustration though I tend to have excellent taste in music(at least I think so!), and TM put a spell on their CD's for sure...one of those few bands that just won't leave my CD carrier, or portable CD or computer....they are everywhere!

Lol, well there you go!

Pabla said:
Well, I howl with the best of them...that doesn't stop me from singing though and as to learning the lyrics I am pretty good at that too...I am just glad that at concerts the music is so loud hence drowning my own horrific vocals! I even like to sing along to the very high-vocal parts **squeak, croak!**

I'm sort of a guitar geek, but I can't sing at all. Unless I'm doing my Alexi Laiho Impression.When my voice is raspy I like to do my Graham Bonnet or Shagrath impression. Their was also the time at Iced Earth I was trying to hit all the high notes with Ripper.

Metaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal!!! :headbang:

WIntersReflection said:
Wouldn't surprise me Pabla... lol, considering that I think twice before removing any of then from my cd player to put anything in, even to listen to Fates Warning... ;}

Well I'm an okay guitarist but I'm not winning any awards, lol. On the other hand I ROCK at air guitar, lol. ;vD

I am even horrid at air guitar **sigh** no musical talent in me whatsoever

And to stay on topic I'd like to aslo add as a favorite "Take on the world" :headbang: hope we get that one live as well :) bound to be a crowd pleaser!

WIntersReflection said:
Lol, well not EVERYTIME or you'd explode. BOOM! ;} You'd get wayyyyy to full before long! :cD

(I'm ridiculous, aren't I folks? lol)
Ha ha ha well I hope I would pass out drunk from the beer before I exploded. Exploding does not make my top twenty list of experiences I would like to have in my lifetime. :loco:

Bryant

dargormudshark said:
I'm sort of a guitar geek, but I can't sing at all. Unless I'm doing my Alexi Laiho Impression.When my voice is raspy I like to do my Graham Bonnet or Shagrath impression. Their was also the time at Iced Earth I was trying to hit all the high notes with Ripper.

Metaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal!!! :headbang:
All I can sing lead on is Southern Rock. I have a baritone voice and have lived my whole life in Alabama, so the Southern drawl is a given. I don't dislike Southern Rock, but the few SR bands I really do like, I can't sing. Blackfoot would be an example. Can't quite get all of Medlocke's range. : (

Bryant

Bryant, as long as you are in tune I don't see why it should matter what genre you are singing, accent or no. :} I don't know what you sound like but even if it is a heavy one, I see no problem. Am I in the minority, lol? Do accents matter that much to the music?

Bryant said:
All I can sing lead on is Southern Rock. I have a baritone voice and have lived my whole life in Alabama, so the Southern drawl is a given. I don't dislike Southern Rock, but the few SR bands I really do like, I can't sing. Blackfoot would be an example. Can't quite get all of Medlocke's range. : (

Bryant

WIntersReflection said:
Bryant, as long as you are in tune I don't see why it should matter what genre you are singing, accent or no. :} I don't know what you sound like but even if it is a heavy one, I see no problem. Am I in the minority, lol? Do accents matter that much to the music?

I think accents sometimes play a role in music and sometimes not. They play a larger role in Southern Rock obviously because SR was originally a fusion of rock and roll, country and blues and the strong Southern drawl is part of the style of the music. I don't think I use much of my accent when singing "Rocking in the Free World" (Neil Young) but I certainly do when I sing say.... "Needle and the Spoon" by Skynyrd.
And to even relate this to metal, one of my favorite vocalists Chitral Somapala (Chity Lanka) formerly of Avalon and currently with Firewind is from Sri Lanka. I think coming from that country and speaking whatever language they speak in that country has given him a unique accent in his vocals and without it, though he would still be a fine singer, he would lose some of his character that he has in his voice.
On the other hand, if I didn't know Urban Breed was Swedish, he could just as well be American, German or whatever. He doesn't "sing like a Swede" to me. Some people have strong accents in their voice others don't. Klaus Meine "sings like a German" to me, but Dirk Thurich doesn't to my ears anyway.

Bryant

I think that when accents play a role in music, it is a limited one... a good singer will still be a good singer with or without one, or even if they are singing in a language you do not speak a word of... Which is why I don't think accents matter. Remember that sound clip where Urban was singing a Christmas song in Swedish? His voice was beautiful there too, he just has a cool voice. :>)

Bryant said:
I think accents sometimes play a role in music and sometimes not.

WIntersReflection said:
I think that when accents play a role in music, it is a limited one... a good singer will still be a good singer with or without one, or even if they are singing in a language you do not speak a word of... Which is why I don't think accents matter. Remember that sound clip where Urban was singing a Christmas song in Swedish? His voice was beautiful there too, he just has a cool voice. :>)
I don't disagree with you. I think it is just more of a basis that needs to be looked at on an individual basis as opposed to a genre (even including the Southern Rock.) I don't see why a European band couldn't play Southern Rock for example. I live and will probably take my last breath in Alabama, but I play very little Southern Rock on electric guitar. I do play it on acoustic though. Anyway, what I am saying is that art to include music is very personal and your influences are going to dictate a great deal of your particular style. My biggest influence by far is Wolf Hoffmann. I can't play near as well as he does/did but stylistically it is apparent to those that know Accept's music and have heard mine. Also the fact that I do live in the "deep South" does have it's influence on me as well though. Just being a "local" musician has had an impact. I have jammed with a variety of local artists from country, blues, and southern rock influences, even jazz (though I couldn't "get it.") I don't even like but very little country or blues and especially modern country which is horrible, but it's not ALL terrible and being exposed to so much of it does also have an impact on my playing.
Ummmm.... this post is getting long. Anyway.... I think that where you are born and raised has an impact on your music to a degree. To what degree that is certainly does vary with each person, but it has an impact and that also is on an accent.

Bryant

Bryant said:

Bryant

Hey, that's cool! Blackfoot is freakin' awesome. Can you imitate shorty medlocke, Rick's grandfather? :headbang:

Yeah, I can see that. In my case the impact is almost entirely that the music from my State stinks, lol. ;} I think the biggest influence on how my music sounds is probably Eternity era Anathema. Although I have come a long way since the beginning and have gotten kind of weird, lol ;} I'd like to get some Blind Guardian influence in there but the other guitarist/singer tells me that THATS not happening... he isn't much into power metal. :/

Bryant said:
I don't disagree with you. I think it is just more of a basis that needs to be looked at on an individual basis as opposed to a genre (even including the Southern Rock.) I don't see why a European band couldn't play Southern Rock for example. I live and will probably take my last breath in Alabama, but I play very little Southern Rock on electric guitar. I do play it on acoustic though. Anyway, what I am saying is that art to include music is very personal and your influences are going to dictate a great deal of your particular style. My biggest influence by far is Wolf Hoffmann. I can't play near as well as he does/did but stylistically it is apparent to those that know Accept's music and have heard mine. Also the fact that I do live in the "deep South" does have it's influence on me as well though. Just being a "local" musician has had an impact. I have jammed with a variety of local artists from country, blues, and southern rock influences, even jazz (though I couldn't "get it.") I don't even like but very little country or blues and especially modern country which is horrible, but it's not ALL terrible and being exposed to so much of it does also have an impact on my playing.
Ummmm.... this post is getting long. Anyway.... I think that where you are born and raised has an impact on your music to a degree. To what degree that is certainly does vary with each person, but it has an impact and that also is on an accent.

Bryant

dargormudshark said:
Hey, that's cool! Blackfoot is freakin' awesome. Can you imitate shorty medlocke, Rick's grandfather? :headbang:

Ha ha ha haven't heard much of Shorty's stuff. Maybe some native American chants or something he does best. Ricky is in Skynyrd now btw. Nothing against Johnny Van Zant, but they should let Ricky sing some. The magic seems to be long gone in Skynyrd, but maybe Medlocke on some vocals could bring some of that back.

Bryant

WIntersReflection said:
Yeah, I can see that. In my case the impact is almost entirely that the music from my State stinks, lol. ;} I think the biggest influence on how my music sounds is probably Eternity era Anathema. Although I have come a long way since the beginning and have gotten kind of weird, lol ;} I'd like to get some Blind Guardian influence in there but the other guitarist/singer tells me that THATS not happening... he isn't much into power metal. :/
America is going trough a dry spell, especially in power metal. Metal Church is back together with a new lineup. Don't know how they sound, but that has to be a good thing. To me, they were one of the last "Great" US power metal bands out there with the Howe lineup, but then again, I have become a bit stand-offish towards American metal that it is very possible I have overlooked some gems out there.
As far as your music style, I think that's great. I think it's good to be "weird." Sounds like your singer/guitarist maybe just needs to be turned on to the "right" powermetal though everyone certainly has their own unique styles and tastes.

Bryant

dargormudshark said:
I think Medlocke is the best guitarist Skynard has ever had and he always looks cool palying the solo on Freebird. I think Blackfoot should get back together. They were like Bob Seger on Speed

I agree. I respect Skynyrd and like some of their songs, but Blackfoot was superior in my ears. The opening guitar riff on "Highway Song" still sends chills down my spine. Medlocke is as talented as they come. To play lead guitar and sing lead (at the same time playing little fills while singing as well) is amazing. There are but a handful that can do that.
I don't know exactly how we gpt around to talking about Blackfoot on the Tad Morose forum, but they were a cool band.

Bryant

Bryant said:
I agree. I respect Skynyrd and like some of their songs, but Blackfoot was superior in my ears. The opening guitar riff on "Highway Song" still sends chills down my spine. Medlocke is as talented as they come. To play lead guitar and sing lead (at the same time playing little fills while singing as well) is amazing. There are but a handful that can do that.
I don't know exactly how we gpt around to talking about Blackfoot on the Tad Morose forum, but they were a cool band.

Bryant

"Good Morning" is probably my favorite one from them. Now that you mention it Rick Medlocke is like the southern rock Alexi Laiho. :dopey:

Hey maybe Urban likes Blackfoot?