Favorite Akerfeldt Lead/Riff/Song/Moment?

1) 3:13 - 4:27 of Bleak. Beautiful.
2) The Roundhouse Tapes version of Face of Melinda.
3) 3:09 - 7:00 of Under the Weeping Moon. It's eerie and fucking awesome.

Listening to Opeth while doing the dishes I found a new moment, new as in, not one I had counted as a great moment before: the very final seconds of "The Baying of the Hounds", that low gurgling growl. Yummy

The end of the Apostle In Triumph, and the whole of Requiem including the beginning of Apostle, and pretty much everything everyone else has mentioned.

7:24-8:23 the apostle in triumph
9:20-10:40 in the mist she was standin
3:19-4:22 advent
9:20-11:53 black rose immortal
2:55-4:40 karma
0:46-2:06 and 2:47-3:16 serenity painted death
4:50-5:51 godhead's lament
all of blackwater park
1:16-2:00 and 3:00-3:22 the funeral portrait
3:47-4:33 a fair judgement
5:03-6:33 by the pain i see in others
intro of weakness on the lamentations, it rules!!
2:37-4:14 ghost of perdition
heir apparent outro

haha I could go on forever about favourite parts of Opeth songs.. for now what instantly comes to mind..

Face of Melinda: ultra heavy interlude and then amazing clean vocals for the chorus " I took her by the hand to say...etc"

April Ethereal: The minute the songs pounding double bass pedal appears with michaels brutal vocals..omg :)

The Leper Affinity: Every riff transition sends a shiver down my spine of goodness omg...

Blackwater Park: when the ultra heavy riff appears after the intro and the vocals appear :D

I absolutely LOVE the last two minutes of Dirge for November, from BWP...

This is the echoey arpeggio that sounds like it's emanating from a deep well. All the echoes feed back into the sound and make it for me one of the best Opeth moments out there.

Literally there are hundreds for me - but today, this is my choice

Definitely.

Searching my wayyyyy to perplexion
In crumbling faaaaaith I saw her
Bearing her paaaaain in the wilderness
The gleam of her eyyyes
In that moment she knew

Hey people, I'm new to this forum and I absolutely love Opeth. I own every album they've released, so I guess this is a good way to start with a post... ;)

The Leper Affinity: 1:25 - 3:11 One of the greatest guitar fills I've heard leading into a great almost upbeat riff and of course the heavy section into the amazing solo. Hell I love the whole song from intro to the atmospheric piano outro.

Bleak: 3:45 - 4:04 Fantastic harmony vocal section, it never fails to give me goosebumps. XD

Blackwater Park: 8:05 - 10:56 One of the greatest heavy Opeth sections imo, last few riffs are very epic.

Hope Leaves: 1:06 - 1:25 This section sometimes brings me to tears, the lyrics "gone for days without talking" I can really relate to sometimes. Simply beautiful, words cannot desribe how it makes me feel.

Reverie/Harlequin Forest: 5:59 - 7:19 The melody in this bit always gets me, it has very warm feel to it.

Advent: 11:03 - 11:23 Amazing atmosphere created here, the volume swells add a ghostly feel to this section. Sends shivers down my spine.

When: Basically the entire outro is amazing, I especially like the vocal part where he sings "Demise".

Demon Of the Fall: The heavy section where it goes from acoustic to distored close to the start of the song, also the amazing outro melody.

The Moor: 10:05 - 10:50 I love this transition from soft to amazingly heavy. Mike's growls are simply awesome at this part of the song.

I could go on and on picking out parts of their songs i love so i'll stop here. Simply an amazing band that I couldn't live without. I've been through some dark times and Opeth is one of the things which has really helped me keep going. Thank you Opeth!!! :)

I'd like to add the 'Shadows skulk at my coming' in Advent.

Such a killer riff, great duel guitars, I pretty much pulled over to listen to it while driving on my first experience.

Then again, maybe just all of Advent

Favorite Opeth lead: first solo in "The Leper Affinity"

Favorite Opeth riff: "Fever mirrored ghosts" riff in "The Leper Affinity"

Favorite Opeth song: "The Leper Affinity"

Favorite Opeth moment: 8:00 - 8:53 of "The Leper Affinity"

Probably the riff to Master's Apprentice. Believe me, their are a lot of Opeth riffs that I love, but they usually go into a different part of the song and you never hear them again unless you replay it. The riff to Master's Apprentice is not like this, it is consistent through the whole song. Although, the do go into other parts. It is just such a catchy riff! I can hear it now! Pure ownage! :headbang:

First post, welcome me :]

Well, honestly there are no parts in Opeth songs that I dislike, but if I had to choose the "top 5" or something, I'd say the following:

-From Demon of the Fall, 2:16-2:50, all the instruments and the way Mikael growls like a real demon are so very powerful.
-From Deliverance, the last part after the lyrics are over is just plain harmony.
-Reverie / Harlequin Forest, the whole 'calm' part in the middle all the way to the end.
-In Ghost of Perdition, the parts where Mikael sings "Hiiiiiigher" - Gives me chills every time I listen to it.
-I don't like picking parts from When since it's a real masterpiece, but 4:14-5:40 is out of this world. Gotta love the way it builds up and leads to a very heavy riff and then gets slow again.

The main acoustic bit in Black Rose Immmortal is for me the most sensational bit of acoustic playing in any Opeth song.

I also love the end of Under The Weeping Moon (live version) from the acoustic bit onwards.

The heavy chugging riff in The Forest of October

All of When is mindblowing

The start of The Moor (ie, from 1.50 onwards) is awesome. Love the drumming

The massive chord sound of Dirge For November

The first 3 tracks off Ghost Reveries are pretty near perfect

Loads of other stuff too, i could go on all day.

Dang. This thread is gonna be five years old before I can wrap my head around it. (Wait. My head just exploded.)

The Night and the Silent Water (whole song)
Bleak (clean singing parts)
Harvest
April Ethereal (first heavy riff.. wow)
Dirge for November (the atmosphere in this song is so depressing)
Harlequin Forest (clean singing)

that's it, my 6 favorite Opeth songs

Windowpane, from 4:40 to 5:30. The whole song is amazing, but that part is simply magic. Also, the first solo in The Leper Affinity kicks my arse every time I listen to it. Of course, like many Opeth fans, I could talk about the great bits for quite a long time.

If I had to pick parts form MAYH:

Prologue / Rain /Piano really set the mood
April Ethereal / 3:45 - 5:30 / Clean vocals -> Growled vocals -> solo/wonderful progression
April Ethereal / 7:30 - End / And I'll never know WHEN
When / 5:00 - 5:36 / Graven face, she said my name. Such a good riff
When / 8:25 - End / When can I take you from this pain, etc. So epic
Madrigal / Perfect Transition
The Amen Corner / 3:14 - 4:15 / Great Acoustic part and following riff
The Amen Corner / 7:55 - 8:01 / I love how it turns evil for just a second when he says "The Demon of the Fall"
Demon of the Fall / 4:23 - End / Best Opeth part ever?
Credence / 1:31 / I love how the riff changes right when the vocals come in. No warning. Mikael seems to do this a lot.
Karma / 1:00 - 1:57 / RAAAAAAA I have gone awayyyyy. So epic
Karma / 3:40 - End / Great acoustic/lead + The cold season riffs + The really brutal octave parts at the end. Also the chorusy part.
Epilogue / 1:23 - 1:29 / I love the use of octave chords here

The whole thing is a masterpiece though.

And I can't go without mentioning 1:20 - 2:55 of Heir Apparent. So fun to play.

Great Thread.