Favorite Album Opener...

SerenityNow!

*burp*
Feb 28, 2008
On Top
Hey, just wondering what everyone's favorite album opener is? For me it's The Moor, hands down. Great build-up and the song sets the mood and pace of the whole album perfectly!!

Absolute perfection to my ears! :D

I really LOVE every album opener Opeth have done. "Advent", "April Ethereal", "Windowpane" and "Ghost of Perdition" are my favourite songs from their respective albums. If I'd have to choose only one, I guess I'd go for "Ghost of Perdition", which is the ultimate Opeth song IMO.

Ghost of Perdition, although this answer might be a bit boring coming from me, since GoP is simply my favourite Opeth song in all respects. As an opening song it makes a statement by not beginning with a long build-up. Instead it's a shock when the first calm chords suddenly erupt into a full death metal assault. That's just great.

But The Moor is also a good choice. The build-up is pretty long and repetitive but it's not boring. Whereas the build-up in The Leper Affinity - this long eerie keyboard sound getting louder slowly - is pretty boring the second time around. (The rest of the song is killer, though.)

"The Moor" is a fucking amazing song, but I think I'll go for Prologue/April Ethereal, the way that the end of Prologue fades into April Ethereal is awesome.