Nerdy Sci/Fi novels.

Alucard

Admatha
Jun 3, 2001
Annandale, NJ, USA
Visit site
The mentioning of the 2001 books in the movie thread possessed me to start this. I was just wondering who everyone's favorite science ficton author is. Mine is hands down Isaac Asimov. That man was brilliant. I love the Robot and Foundation series.

Asimov...great choice...the Foundation series, (especially the first three he wrote: Foundation, Foundation and Empire, and Second Foundation), is as magnificent as the Dune series by Frank Herbert (also mentioned in another thread). I never did get a chance to read all of the Robot series, since I could never find all of it.

My favorite Sci-fi book would have to be 1984 (that book depressed me for days after I finished it). Not sure about who the writer is.

Wasn't it George Orwell who wrote "1984"?

Anyway, my favourite scifi novels are from Frank Herbert and Arthur C. Clarke. I haven't read many scifi novels lately, except for one by a Finnish author, Risto Isomäki, who wrote "Knights of the Dark Cloud" (rough translation), which I thought was a really great novel. Too bad it hasn't been translated in English. :(

Philip K. Dick without a doubt is my favorite, his books are the basis of Bladerunner, Total Recall, and alot of the ideas presented in The Matrix were his as well...

If you haven't read anything by him, he's got this phenomenal way of mixing sci fi/fantasy with philosophy....just about all his books are worth reading...

Also of note:

Kim Stanley Robinson (The Mars Trilogy - Red Mars, Blue Mars, Green Mars)

Philip K. Dick. Aldous Huxley. Frank Herbert. Ray Bradbury. Stanislaw Lem. Vernor Vinge. Clifford Simak. Orson Scott Card. Many others. SF (speculative fiction, not sci-fi) rules !

-------------------------
NP: King Crimson - Red