Favorite Ballads?

Yeah...reminded me of this:

DT covering Cemetery Gates. Guy from Anthrax does the harsh vocals, and Mustaine does the ending wankery. Pretty amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Symphony X - Communion and the Oracle
Symphony X - The Accolade
Blind Guardian - Nightfall
Sonata Arctica - Tallulah (fuck off, it's awesome)

Sonata Arctica - The Misery
Metal Church - Anthem to the Estranged
Metallica - Fade to Black
Bon Jovi - I'll Be There For You
Def Leppard - Hysteria
Whitesnake - Is This Love?
Skid Row - 18 And Life
Pantera - We'll Meet Again
Poison - Life Goes On

Pyramaze - Untill We Fade Away
Dream Theater - Wait For Sleep
Iced Earth - Melancholy
Iced Earth - Watching Over Me
Iced Earth - A Qeustion of Heaven
Sonata Arctica - Shy
Evergrey - I'm Sorry
Evergrey - Trilogy of the Damned
Evergrey - Closure

These all rule. Not sure if they're all ballads though.

Yeah...reminded me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiH_yDpyRDU
DT covering Cemetery Gates. Guy from Anthrax does the harsh vocals, and Mustaine does the ending wankery. Pretty amazing.

Dear god, the singer from Fear Factory totally butchered that song, and Mustaine's solo was horrible. Now I have to listen to the original so I can still like the song.:erk:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_ballad

The term "power ballad" is a colloquialism used to describe a type of song performed (but not necessarily written) by a hard rock or heavy metal band that is atypical of the songs defined by the hard rock and heavy metal genres. Typically, a power ballad is characterized by having a slower tempo, longer voiced notes, acoustic guitars in place of electric guitars, and deemphasized percussion and bass; but some sections of the song may include strong percussion and bass that are more typical of the hard rock and heavy metal genres for increased emotional effect. Common power ballad themes include (but are not limited to) emotional heartache, need, love and loss.

Metallica- Fade to Black, Sanitarium, One, Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters...does Until it Sleeps count?

Iron Maiden- Wasting Love

Testament- The Ballad, The Legacy

Opeth- To Bid You Farewell, Credence

Katatonia- Tonight's Music, Teargas, loads....

hmm