Favorite band in each genre

soundave said:
Dumb? I don't think so.

well favourites are favourites, why bother with genres which are artificial anyway? talented bands create their own distinctive styles and putting them in a bag with others, including counterfaits, is often unfair - that's what I meant ;)

besides it may lead to situations like picking bacstreet boys as the best boys band - it's shit anyway (fuck off to all n'stink fags :lol: ) However some of you managed to avoid such situations by puttin 'gay' next to 'power metal' :lol:

but that's me, carry on

yeah because every good band transcends genre, liek tool for instance :immoratl?;

Rock - Pearl Jam

Progressive/Avant Garde - In The Woods

Heavy Metal - Iron Maiden

Death metal - The Chasm

Black Metal - Burzum

Doom Metal - Skepticism

Folk Metal - Summoning

Power Metal - Blind Guardian

Dark/Goth Metal - Opeth

etc...

Rock - Led ...

Progressive - Opeth (of course)

Heavy Metal - Maiden

Death metal - Morbid Angel

Black Metal - Satyricon

Doom Metal - Mournful Congregation

Folk Metal -

Power Metal - BG

Dark/Goth Metal - The Eternal

Thrash - Kreator

Lets see... Opeth sing about dark/gothic themes, the music is dark and gothic sounding, their logo and artwork ALWAYS gothic. What doesn't make them dark/gothic? (not to mention swedes are descendants of the Goths)

And Summoning... everything they ever wrote musically and lyrically was based on a guy called Tolkien who was... lets see... Oh!! A folklore writer!!! omg!!! Amazing!

Now i'd like to see half the people explain why Opeth is "progressive metal"

hibernal_dream said:
Lets see... Opeth sing about dark/gothic themes, the music is dark and gothic sounding, their logo and artwork ALWAYS gothic. What doesn't make them dark/gothic? (not to mention swedes are descendants of the Goths)

And Summoning... everything they ever wrote musically and lyrically was based on a guy called Tolkien who was... lets see... Oh!! A folklore writer!!! omg!!! Amazing!

actually not all that the summoning guys wrote about was tolkien. all fantasy themes...but not all tolkien. iirc

Opeth is obviously Progressive Metal and metal music in general needs to learn from these guys. I hope what Opeth is doing now will be the lowest standard for any metal band in the near future, otherwise metal is doomed.

hibernal_dream said:

0h.... 0k

NineFeetUnderground said:
because nobody else really sounds like they do these days. its not that difficult of a concept really.

Oh, I see. That would make Bolt Thrower, Primordial, Samael, Burzum, Graveland, Suffocation, My Dying Bride and about 1000 other bands progressive metal? Because no-one else sounds like they do

hibernal_dream said:
Oh, I see. That would make Bolt Thrower, Primordial, Samael, Burzum, Graveland, Suffocation, My Dying Bride and about 1000 other bands progressive metal? Because no-one else sounds like they do

not a single band you named there is all that unique sounding. i think you missed the point or youre just a complete jackass.