Favorite Bassist fo all time?

Originally posted by Analog_Kid
A few other bassists to research:

Jaco Pastorius
Randy Coven
Doug Wimbish(Living Colour's 'Stain' album)
Simon Gallup(practically anything by The Cure)
Victor Wooten(Bela Fleck and the Fleck Tones, and solo)
Bill Dickens

These are examples of other truly great bassists.

Jonas Hellborg also.
Jazz / Rock bass player.
Check his albums with Shawn Lane.
That's great bass and great guitar, believe me !

lets see:

les claypool of primus because of his technique, has excellent slapping, popping and tapping technique and is really really original

billy sheehan because he breaks away from what bassists usually do and plays "lead bass"

ryknow from mudvayne is a fav. of mine because its so refreshing seeing talent in the nu-metal scene...he makes up some really good basslines and all his stuff suits the songs needs, he doesn't show all the time...

BIlly Sheehan is downright great.
What about Geddy Lee of Rush? I really enjoy what he brings to music and how he handles the bass.
And I just have to say Peter Steele also. I know he's not the "best", but I really love his music.

Spudd

Morningrise-Jeff Berlin is amazing! Ever hear his stuff on Bill Brufords solo stuff with Alan Holdsworth? It's insane!

His old stuff on Bill Brufords solo albums is really his best in my opinion, the guy is a god!!

A bit weird that no-one has mentioned Johan DeFarfalla this far, isn't it. I mean, he isn't necessarily the best bass-player there is, but damn does his style fit Orchid and Morningrise, IMHO.

Alright in my opinion Johan is way over rated, a great bass player, but nothing really special at all. I think it was great that he added a new dimension to Opeth's earlier sound but if you listen to Opeth's last two albums with Mendez, he not only adds another dimension but does it much better. He is a better bass player, with a much more interesting technique than DeFarfalla had. I have always thought that the sound that the Martins lent to the past Opeth albums has been much better, added a much smoother feel to the music, and I can just listen to the Martins on the last two albums and be much more interested than Opeth's first two. Anders and Johan are great musicians, but I believe the Martins have added much more to Opeth.

Trust me, I have worked with some truly great session bassists, Les is a hack. And yes, I have seen him live. All he does is moves his hand around and mutes strings. He has gotten where he is on quirkiy songs and image.

Couldn't agree more, this guy is SOOOO over rated. He has a cool technique and is very original, but all he does is slap the damn thing, and makes funny noises. This guy used to be one of my favs, until I heard guys like John Myung, Mendez, Jeff Berlin, Chris Squire, etc...

Mendez.....come on, you all know he kicks ass.

Umm.....Fieldy.....not so much for his playing...he's a nice guy though, and cuddly, and he smells good...

Originally posted by Morningrise

Alright in my opinion Johan is way over rated, a great bass player, but nothing really special at all. I think it was great that he added a new dimension to Opeth's earlier sound but if you listen to Opeth's last two albums with Mendez, he not only adds another dimension but does it much better. He is a better bass player, with a much more interesting technique than DeFarfalla had. I have always thought that the sound that the Martins lent to the past Opeth albums has been much better, added a much smoother feel to the music, and I can just listen to the Martins on the last two albums and be much more interested than Opeth's first two. Anders and Johan are great musicians, but I believe the Martins have added much more to Opeth.

I couldn't possibly call Johan overrated, for very few people even here seem to notice his abilities. However, I agree that both Martins are great at what they do - it is just perhaps that on the latest Opeth-albums only rarely there's enough "room" for Mendez to show his bass-playing abilities, which is a shame, for he is great. Due to the change in style Opeth has gone through since Morningrise, it is pretty damn difficult to compare the skills rhythm-sections on the albums, I think.

The eventual question of which pair (Martin & Martin or Johan & Anders) does one prefer, is just a matter of taste, IMHO. I like the both of them, perhaps just Johan & Anders a bit more.

-Villain

What's the deal with Primus?

I have heard a few of their songs, I do not see the appeal.

Didn't they do the fucking south park song?

Not that that would make their music bad, but come on south park?

The vocalist sings like a nut (that's not always a bad thing), and in this case singing like a nut isn't good.

I just didn't see the appeal, and the lyrics were stupid "Jimmy was a racecar driver, he drove real real fast" :confused:

Maybe I missed something...

Primus are cool and funny. "Winona's got a big brown beaver" *snigger*.

What about ICS Vortex (Simen Hestenaes). I vote him because he can play a simple bassline and sing like a (dark) angel...

Oyo@ Most of Primus' songs are little stories, with little ironic twists and stuff (in the song you mentioned, "Jerry was a race car driver", it's about a guy who's good at driving but in the end dies in a car crash). They take an effort to get into, when I first heard them I didn't think anyone could like that shit, but now, they don't even seem weird to me, it's just like "Oh yeah, that's Primus". A good band to get into if you want some really cool bass riffs and some funny stories (and Les' voice grows on you, he really is pretty funny)

AnalogKid@ can't agree with you on Les. And what other bassists are capable of has no impact whatsoever on me likeing Les, or even rating his ability for that matter, as I believe I have seen & heard enough evidence to disprove what you say :D. The title to the thread is favourite bassist though, not best :p