Favorite Board Games?

I always enjoyed a game called Omega Virus. Other games were Hero Quest and other Games Workshop board games.

Eventually, I became a Games Workshop junkie. Warhammer, Warhammer 40K, Mordheim, etc. Even non-GW games like MageKnight and even HeroClix were cool.

Warhammer 40K will forever rule the world of tabletop gaming :headbang:

Risk - Somebody got me the LoTR version, and I like it more than the original. It's damn fun.

Lord of the Rings - by Reiner Knizia. It's a cooperative game where you play the members of the Fellowship and are playing against Sauron.

Diplomacy - though I suck at it. That pretty much applies to any of the old Avalon Hill games (Luftwaffe, Panzer Leader, Breakout: Normandy, etc.)

I always thought Moustrap was cool when I was a kid.

Chaostle - It's a game a friend of mine invented. It's in production right now and should be available in a few months. I did a lot of the game testing, and it's fun.

I've never, ever played Axis and Allies. Not sure how that happened.

Oh yeah, check out Board Game Geeks

Hah! Those games used to take us a couple nights to finish. Though I have done 6-8 hour sessions to finish in one long... night.
It can take a while, yes.
6-8 hours? Not at all unusual.
Then there was the time my opponent spent 30 IPC's on his first turn and rolled all sixes. I gave up there and then. ;)
We mostly set things up and play 'til the end unless we have other things we need to attend.

Did you try any of the xeno games "expansions"? That's when it takes a loooong time to play from start to finish. We've played for three days straight sleeping only while your opponent took his turn.

Wasn't Civilization played entirely without the use of dice? Seems like I remember that being an especially cool thing about that game. I only played it a few times with friends since games typically took soooo long. I remember we had to halt one game and declare me the victor (rahhhh) on account of snow.
In Atlanta.
(!)

Risk - Somebody got me the LoTR version, and I like it more than the original. It's damn fun.

Oooh, I've only heard about this. I've got to check it out. (Playing "nuclear Risk" on such a map would be even more fun than on the original..... :lol: )

Lord of the Rings - by Reiner Knizia. It's a cooperative game where you play the members of the Fellowship and are playing against Sauron.

This sounds kinda cool, too.
"As Gandalf, I call upon Gwaihir, Lord of Eagles, to take THAT hobbit with THAT Ring and fly them over Mount Doom. Then the hobbit drops the Ring in. If he doesn't, Gwaihir will drop them BOTH in.

Story over. Quickly."

:heh:

For those who would like to know what is currently out there, there is a board dedicated to board games: http://www.boardgamegeek.com

I'm actually big into board games, most of which started their life in Europe. Some of the better known ones are Settlers of Catan, Carcassone, among others.

Jason

you uber-nerds and your strategy games. Doesn't anybody just play Connect Four anymore? :lol:

Chess sometimes, but I haven't really sat down to play anyone for years. I think I played Mouse Trap with my niece, does that count? :lol: Trying hard to think of another board game I've played in the past ten years. I can't come up with much.

I don't know, seems like a lot of the people that play board games started playing card based games (Magic, etc), and even some dice based games (Dragon Dice was cool). I know few people that even have a regular board game in the house anymore.

I got it, Scrabble. I have a Scrabble game in the garage and have played it the last five years or so. My sister digs it, so we play when visiting.

LOTR risk is pretty darn fun. I also like the one where you can compete for the moon. Fun stuff (though frustrating at times).

Damn you all, now I'm going to have to buy some board games at Dragon*Con this year ;)

Wasn't Civilization played entirely without the use of dice? Seems like I remember that being an especially cool thing about that game.
You are quite right and, like you said, one of the better features of the game. There is a random element to the game though. The drawing of resources (or calamities) to trade with.

I only played it a few times with friends since games typically took soooo long. I remember we had to halt one game and declare me the victor (rahhhh) on account of snow.
In Atlanta.
We used to play every weekend for about two years time. I never lost one game. :) Yeah, that's a challenge! ;)

For those who would like to know what is currently out there, there is a board dedicated to board games: http://www.boardgamegeek.com

I'm actually big into board games, most of which started their life in Europe. Some of the better known ones are Settlers of Catan, Carcassone, among others.

Jason
Mmm, Carcassonne... forgot to mention that one... Doesn't take all that long either.
For some strange reason I never did play Settlers...
And yeah, I would agree, boardgamegeek.com is a good resource.

I have a five year old so Trouble, Candyland, and Chutes and Ladders are easy time killers w/ a bit of nostalgia.

As a kid my favorites were Axis and Allies, Broadsides and Boarding Parties (Axis and Allies w/ Pirates), and Monopoly (why did the banker always seem to win?).

Trivial Pursuit is still my favorite (when else am I going to use all of the useless information that prevents me from remembering my PIN numbers where I left my sunglasses?).

I'm sure I can think of more...