Favorite books

Hmm apart from those Philosophy,Law and Physics books Im always reading?

I really love Hermann Hesse's books,mainly "Der Steppenwolf" and "Demian"
Other books I like are "The Catcher in the Rye" by Salinger,"1984" by George Orwell,"White Nights" by Dostoievsky and "Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa.I do love Samuel Beckett's experimentalisms on some of his books,but I cant really choose one.Im also a fan of Shakespeare,Milton,Sade and other classic authors

Im starting to read the Earthsea fantasy series which Ive been hearing good things about,any comments on it?

dark_Exile said:
Mine is crime and punishment(Преступление и наказание)by Dostoyevski.
that's an awesome book, i love 'the idiot' as well.

paradoxile said:
George Orwell's Animal Farm
Paulo Coelho's Veronika decides to die.
i like 'animals farm', too. maaaaaany, many years ago, i saw a cartoon (it wasn't really stuff for kids though) based on this book, weird stuff o_O
i really don't like coelho's style instead... but surprisingly, i really liked 'veronika decides to die', very good book. :headbang:

The Wretched said:
I really love Hermann Hesse's books,mainly "Der Steppenwolf" and "Demian"
i never managed to like those books and usually people praise them a lot, i never liked 'siddharta' either :erk:
The Wretched said:
I do love Samuel Beckett's experimentalisms on some of his books,but I cant really choose one.Im also a fan of Shakespeare,Milton,Sade and other classic authors
:headbang:

after all this quoting... i'll just mention my essential highlists:

'unbereable lightness of being' - milan kundera
'one hundred years of solitude' - gabriel garcía márquez
'the stranger' - albert camus

Androz said:
Yeah, I know, even the first editions of the book don't have the last chapter, god, what was Burgess thinking???
seems he temporarily lost his balls or mind :lol:

he whent with the sappy ending for the masses instead of the harsh reality of things. total bullshit!

I forgot to mention "Le petit prince" by Antoine Exupery,lovely book
Ill search for "100 years of solitude",somehow it grasped my attention =)

Hevimees mentioned Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman",definitely a masterpiece of our time.I would add the book "American Gods" to the Gaiman list,it is good entertainment if you've already read the Sandman comics series,otherwise I believe it would just pass as a crazy book.

I need to buy a good book to read these days. But I can't decide which? any recommendations? i like dystopic type books, like 1984 and etc.

m0rtis said:
I need to buy a good book to read these days. But I can't decide which? any recommendations? i like dystopic type books, like 1984 and etc.

Dystopic in a political sense or more focused on the subject as an individual?
Hesses's books fall on the latter,I'd pick Demian and then Steppenwolf.

As for the political side(I wouldnt really say political),Id pick a Kafka book,like "The Process"(I dont know if thats the correct name for the book in english)

Focused on the subject as an individual would be more fun i guess since i don't wanna get bored with all these political details. I study sociology and political science so i'm already reading those things at school..

Demian? the author is Hesses?

m0rtis said:
Well, since you already listed Brave New World (I think), A clockwork Orange may be the way to go.... or you could read Demian like The Wretched said

I have read A Clockwork Orange, and i love the moviei, it's one of my favorites.

I guess i'll try Demian, and also i found my book, The Giver, I read that book 6-7 years ago so i'll read it again =)

Besides Crime and Punishment, The Catcher in the Rye and Der Steppenwolf, I'll add:

- The Unbeareable Lightness of Being
- Anything by Paul Auster
- A Confederacy of Dunces
- The Year of the Hare
- Sonnenallee
- Los renglones torcidos de Dios (only in Spanish).

m0rtis said:
you'll love I am legend trust me :)