Favorite fantasy series

Esteban

Thinking is overrated
Dec 28, 2002
Costa Rica
Visit site
So I just finished the first 3 books of A Song of Ice and Fire, and I'm definitely impressed, the third one is so good, that ending is gonna make buy the 4th one as soon as it comes out. Anyway, my favorite series:

1. The Lord of the Rings
2. A Song of Ice and Fire
3. The Farseer Trilogy

What are yours?

I liked the Xanth novels by Piers Anthony. I also liked the Sword Of Shannara books, The Lord Of The Rings, Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer series, and The Wheel Of Time series by Robert Jordan.

There was some other one where some dude had runes on his body. There were four or five books in the series. It was also very good.

Sonnenritter said:
Tolkien's tales of Middle Earth occupy my "favourite" position. The only real competitor is Stephen King with his Dark Tower series.

That's some good shit.......let us not forget the Dragonlance

The Necroscope series by Brian Lumley was good, want to read more of that. Also, just finished the first book Wizard's First Rule in the sequence by Terry Goodkind.

WOT by robert jordan
RUNELORDS by david farland

wheel of time is perhaps pretty well known, but not the runelord series, at least not here, which is shame since they are really really good. the world and the conditions of it really makes it interesting and farland's imagination is just huge, a recomended read for any fans of fantasy

oh, and the shannara books are good as well, though none of the books get even near the first one which i found impossible to stop reading, the ones after where good but nothing of that magnitude

Good for you lard-man.

My favourite is the LOTR as it's such an incredible achievement. Second would be between the first few Shannara books (the newer ones are just crap) and the Dragonlance "Twins" trilogy which was much better than the "War of the Lance" series.
Overall though, I prefer Science Fiction to Fantasy - too much fantasy is just generic "go find a ring/sword/something of power and defeat the dark lord/queen".
Terry Pratchett can be funny, some of his Discworld books are great.
Id Arthurian fantasy fiction counts then Bernard Cornwell's trilogy is amazing, as is Marion Zimmer Bradley's stuff including "The Mists of Avalon".

I usually have difficulty choosing. Recently it was Lord of the Rings, but after I finished reading that and started reading some Weis/Hickman, I remembered just how good Dragonlance is. And the Farseer trilogy is amazing too, I really enjoyed that. Terry Pratchett is incredibly funny and interesting of course, I love the Discworld series. There's also another series by L.E. Modessit Jr (or some such name), called something like The Saga of Recluse, which is also brilliant.

Esteban said:
So I just finished the first 3 books of A Song of Ice and Fire, and I'm definitely impressed, the third one is so good, that ending is gonna make buy the 4th one as soon as it comes out. Anyway, my favorite series:

1. The Lord of the Rings
2. A Song of Ice and Fire
3. The Farseer Trilogy

What are yours?

2 of the best and the very worst. LOTR fucking sucks.

Here's my list:

1. The Song of Ice and Fire
2. The Books of the Art
3. Lucifer (you didn't specify novels)

Uhh... Shanarra books fucking blow too. And seriously... R A Salvatore? LMAO!!!!!! He's one of the worst authors I have ever read. His books are so shallow and kiddy that it is fucking pathetic.

Jordan is good, but his later books suck ass, he really really needs to end that series.

I read the first 3 Shannara books and didn't like them, every one was like a lame copy of Lord of the Rings.

I love Dragonlance, the twins trilogy is awesome. I can't understand why The Farseer Trilogy is not that popular, those books are great!

LuminousAether said:
Uhh... Shanarra books fucking blow too. And seriously... R A Salvatore? LMAO!!!!!! He's one of the worst authors I have ever read. His books are so shallow and kiddy that it is fucking pathetic.

Jordan is good, but his later books suck ass, he really really needs to end that series.
Err, no my friend,YOU fucking blow.
Obedience is spelled with and E after the I.