Favorite fantasy series

I quite liked the empire trilogy by raymond e feist (daughter of the empire, servant of the empire, etc) but I can't seem to stay interested in epic fantasy any longer than a trilogy. how do you guys do it?

Possum said:
I quite liked the empire trilogy by raymond e feist (daughter of the empire, servant of the empire, etc) but I can't seem to stay interested in epic fantasy any longer than a trilogy. how do you guys do it?
When it gets really interesting, you just don't want it to end. Ever since I started reading fantasy I find very hard to read "regular" books, everything seems so... normal and boring.

Esteban said:
So I just finished the first 3 books of A Song of Ice and Fire, and I'm definitely impressed, the third one is so good, that ending is gonna make buy the 4th one as soon as it comes out. Anyway, my favorite series:

1. The Lord of the Rings
2. A Song of Ice and Fire
3. The Farseer Trilogy

What are yours?

I told you it was good, ya bastard.

To respond accordingly to the topic though:

1. A Song of Ice and Fire.
2. Redwall (series). I know they are kiddy, but I grew up reading them and are very dear to me.
3. The Bhelliom.

The Wheel of Time is MIGHT be in my top 5, sames goes for the Dragonlance series already mentioned, but I find it long winded. I'm reluctant to say boring, though it seems like all the books are, are plots and talking about doing stuff, and nothing exciting ever happens until the end. 500 pages is a long way to go for a little bit of excitement. I'm not at book 10 yet (7 currently), but I'm disheartened to know very little has changed.

Book 10? I didn't know there were 10 books in the Dragonlance series. I read the first original trilogy when I was about 13 and loved it completely, but it seemed a bit flat when I reread it a couple of years ago. The Twins trilogy is just incredible, and I knew Weiss and Hickmann had started on more books but 10? I'll have to get a hold of those babies.

TakinTheMusicBack said:
Book 10? I didn't know there were 10 books in the Dragonlance series.
Raistlin said:
I've read the whole main story: Chronicles trilogy, Legends trilogy, The second generation (2 books) and War of Souls trilogy.
That makes 11 books

DeathBlade said:
Would H.P. Lovecraft be considered fantasy? Or dracula?
I read once that fantasy can be divided in 3 major subgenres, terror, epic and I forgot the other one. Lovecraft goes in terror of course, so it could be considered fantasy

Lovecraft is definitely fantasy oriented, especially the stories that revolve around dream worlds and states of consciousness. I would mention him as one of my favorites, alongside many that have already been named like Tolkien. SO I will mention Morgan Llewellyn as being my favorite purveyor of historical/mythological fiction of the irish/celtic sort. I would recommend Bard: The Odyssey of the Irish and The Lion of Ireland to just about anyone...even a sostnagh...

Wandrail said:
SO I will mention Morgan Llewellyn as being my favorite purveyor of historical/mythological fiction of the irish/celtic sort. I would recommend Bard: The Odyssey of the Irish and The Lion of Ireland to just about anyone...even a sostnagh...
I've heard about Morgan Llewellyn... tell me more, what to read, where do I start. etc...

Esteban said:
I've heard about Morgan Llewellyn... tell me more, what to read, where do I start. etc...
Well, I did mispell the name :lol: its Llywelyn...my favorite book of hers is probably Bard: The Odyssey of the Irish, which is her retelling of the Conquest of the Sons of Mil, the legend of the coming of the ancestors of the irish to Ireland, and how they took it from the Tuatha De Dannan...just get it.

I also recommend The Lion of Ireland, which is about Brian Boru, Ireland's last and greatest high king and how he defeated the Vikings...most of her books are worth a read. They're all pseudo-historical and centered on th eirish/celtic people. I think sh edid one about the Etruscans as well though...

b
Wandrail said:
Well, I did mispell the name :lol: its Llywelyn...my favorite book of hers is probably Bard: The Odyssey of the Irish, which is her retelling of the Conquest of the Sons of Mil, the legend of the coming of the ancestors of the irish to Ireland, and how they took it from the Tuatha De Dannan...just get it.

I also recommend The Lion of Ireland, which is about Brian Boru, Ireland's last and greatest high king and how he defeated the Vikings...most of her books are worth a read. They're all pseudo-historical and centered on th eirish/celtic people. I think sh edid one about the Etruscans as well though...
No wonder I couldn't find anything on Amazon ;), anyway, thanks, I'll check out those books

Either if you like/dislike LOTR, or the Shannara books, check out Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever books by Stephen R. Donaldson. They are far more detailed, intricate, and mature. The main character Thomas Covenant is an anti-hero that doesn't believe he has been transported to a different land(he has leprosy:missing a few fingers). There's no dragons, or wizards, just lords that have special knowledge in certain earth-type lore(rock,wood, and a few other earth lore). The three books are...Lord Foul's Bane-The Illearth War-The Power that Preserves. Donaldson has created different types of creatures that aren't your ordinary drarves, elves, trolls or goblins. He writes with such detail.

Wandrail said:
Lovecraft is definitely fantasy oriented, especially the stories that revolve around dream worlds and states of consciousness. I would mention him as one of my favorites, alongside many that have already been named like Tolkien. SO I will mention Morgan Llewellyn as being my favorite purveyor of historical/mythological fiction of the irish/celtic sort. I would recommend Bard: The Odyssey of the Irish and The Lion of Ireland to just about anyone...even a sostnagh...
My favorite Llewellyn book is Red Branch The story of Cuchulain the hound of Ulster....freaking fantastic!!!

oops! It's spelled Llywelyn! Another good new fantasy writer is Ian Irvine The View From The Mirror series are very good. (book 1-Shadow on the Glass) Once again, these books are medevial era type books. But have nothing to do with dungeons/dragons type stuff. There are 3 races of beings from different worlds that have been stuck on the planet Santhenar so long, few of each race remembers their past.

ramses said:
Either if you like/dislike LOTR, or the Shannara books, check out Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever books by Stephen R. Donaldson. They are far more detailed, intricate, and mature. The main character Thomas Covenant is an anti-hero that doesn't believe he has been transported to a different land(he has leprosy:missing a few fingers). There's no dragons, or wizards, just lords that have special knowledge in certain earth-type lore(rock,wood, and a few other earth lore). The three books are...Lord Foul's Bane-The Illearth War-The Power that Preserves. Donaldson has created different types of creatures that aren't your ordinary drarves, elves, trolls or goblins. He writes with such detail.
Sounds good