Never Look Back-Blues Saraceno
Chasing the Sun-Chris Poland
Resolution-Andy Timmons
Get Inside-Johnny A.

Edit-Forgot these favs:

Plaid-Blues Saraceno
Stressfest-Steve Morse
Split Decision-Steve Morse

Those are probably my favorites in no particular order.

Plaid - Blues Saraceno
Surfing With the Alien - Satriani
both Freak Guitar cds - Mattias Eklundh
Infra Blue - Joey Tafolla
Resolution - Andy Timmons (100% agreement!)
Art Metal - Hellborg
Shut Up & Play Your Guitar & Guitar - Frank Zappa

Resolution- Timmons
Erotic Cakes- Guthrie Govan
Denoument- Andrew York
All Night Wrong- Allan Holdsworth
High Tension Wires- Steve Morse
Extraction- Greg Howe
Chops- Joe Pass/Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen
The Guitar Trio- Di Meola/De Luca/McLaughlin
LTE 1&2 (though I don't know if it's fair to call them "guitar albums"
Bright Sized Life-Pat Metheny
Passion and Warfare- Vai
New Works for GUitar Quartet- Minneapolis Guitar Quartet (just for "Voices From the Garden"...oh my god that piece rules)

Eric Johnson should be on here too, but since feels compelled to sing...

I love Satch's stuff, most notably Surfing With the Alien, Crystal Planet, and Strange Beautiful Music. I'm not a big fan of most instrumental guitar albums, though, as they are typically written for the guitar to show off, which pushes the other instruments into the background. If I'm going to listen to instrumental music for something other than background music, I'd go for something like LTE which showcases all of the instruments equally.

I guess that's one of the reasons why I love Symphony X. For a band where the guitar player writes almost everything, he doesn't always write the best parts for guitar. He sees each instrument in the band as 25% of the whole and arranges things accordingly.

hmm, so many to choose from... A Couple of standouts are:

John Petrucci- 'Suspended Animation'
Ron Jarzombek- 'Solitarily Speaking Of Theoretical Confinement'
Greg Howe- 'Extraction'
Steve Vai- 'Passion & Warfare'
Jason Becker- 'Perpetual Burn'
Tony MacAlpine- 'Evolution'
Marty Friedman- 'Dragons Kiss' and 'Scenes'
LTE 1 & 2
Kiko Loureiro- 'Universo Inverso'

Many, many more...

Is "Extraction" the Greg Howe selection of choice? I bought his first album years ago when it came out...I probably still have the cassette somewhere. I didn't care much for it then, but I probably would now.

It's probably my favorite of his. I still have my minor complaints, but overall I'm a big fan of Greg's. Introspection is another favorite of mine. You might be taking a little bit of a leap of faith in buying his stuff if you are doing so based off of his first album....Varney finally gave him some freedom starting with Intropection and that's when he took on more of a fusion sound. If you're looking more for rock/metal/shred stuff, get Ascend...one of the cd's he did with Vitalij Kuprij.

Is "Extraction" the Greg Howe selection of choice? I bought his first album years ago when it came out...I probably still have the cassette somewhere. I didn't care much for it then, but I probably would now.

It's my favorite GH album. definitely the most "fusion" oriented of his works.

Mine would look something like:

Satch - Strange Beautiful music, CP and Is their love in space.

Vai - Fire Garden ( I out grew a lot of this type of music but I always go back to Fire Garden)

LTE - 1 and 2

T Mac - MS and Chromaticity

It's probably my favorite of his. I still have my minor complaints, but overall I'm a big fan of Greg's. Introspection is another favorite of mine. You might be taking a little bit of a leap of faith in buying his stuff if you are doing so based off of his first album....Varney finally gave him some freedom starting with Intropection and that's when he took on more of a fusion sound. If you're looking more for rock/metal/shred stuff, get Ascend...one of the cd's he did with Vitalij Kuprij.

Nah...I'm looking more for fusion stuff...like this:

http://www.greghowe.com/video.php?bcpid=1078986822&bclid=1111448990&bctid=1184470698

What complaints?

based on that, I'd definitely get Extraction.

My only two complaints are

a)Greg wasn't all too happy with the finished product (based on a couple accounts I've heard/read). That kind of got into my head after I heard about that and slightly diminished my view of it

b)It would have sounded even better if it had been recorded live, or at least if they had all recorded their parts and been in the studio together. It doesn't sound as natural as I'd like (using Resolution as the point of reference for what I think an amazing, natural sounding album should/can sound like) and I think the finished product suffered a bit from that.

Don't get me wrong though, even in spite of this I'd still give it a 9/10

based on that, I'd definitely get Extraction.

My only two complaints are

a)Greg wasn't all too happy with the finished product (based on a couple accounts I've heard/read). That kind of got into my head after I heard about that and slightly diminished my view of it

b)It would have sounded even better if it had been recorded live, or at least if they had all recorded their parts and been in the studio together. It doesn't sound as natural as I'd like (using Resolution as the point of reference for what I think an amazing, natural sounding album should/can sound like) and I think the finished product suffered a bit from that.

Don't get me wrong though, even in spite of this I'd still give it a 9/10

Cool...I'll look for it.

I found my old cassette of Greg's first release. Typical Mike Varney/Shrapnel wanking stuff. Guess that's why I didn't think much of it a the time...or now, 20 years later.

I found my old cassette of Greg's first release. Typical Mike Varney/Shrapnel wanking stuff. Guess that's why I didn't think much of it a the time...or now, 20 years later.

I actually like Howe's debut. It had Billy Sheehan playing bass on it! Then again, I don't mind the DT or Sy-X debuts that everyone loves to slag....