Favorite Metal Drummer

Frost is one of my favorites by far; he can be technical and in terms of speed he can about own anyone. It's like the guy has no limit. Also in Fenriz(plays simple but can play about anything you give him), Hellhammer, Ole Ohman(Dissection's original drummer on the demos, The Somberlain and Storm; incredibly and highly underrated, easily another of my favorites), Inferno, Vitek(the dude was fucking 12 years old on their first demo and he sounded about as good as a lot of drummers do now), Jaska Raatikainen(Bodom, heard the guy do a drum solo and it was great; has some awesome double bass technique too), Tjodalv, Horgh, Grim and the classics of Lombardo, Sandoval and Hoglan. Quite a few, true. :D

Michel Langevin (Away) - Voivod
Marquis Marky - Coroner
Mark Zonder - Fates Warning
Rick Colaluca - Watchtower
Alex Holzwarth - Sieges Even
Tor-Arne - Atrox

Hans Nilsson (sp) - Crystal Age

Seriously, go listen to Far Beyond Divine Horizons. Fucking awsome drumming.....so good, the best Death Metal drumming I've heard, period.

The Drumming on Exodus' Another Lesson In Violence is pretty badass too, forgot the name of the drummer on that album and too lazy to go look it up so I can appear all knowledgable n shit.

I also really like Richard Christy. I've enjoyed his work very much with Death, Control Denied, ICed Earth etc.

Yeah whomever listed Gar Samuelson- excellent choice, i never really thought much about him, until the remasters came out- wow, he was way ahead of his time, one of the first jazz influenced drummers in metal.

Although I'm not particularly a fan of the band, I must concede after multiple listenings (in a hopeless attempt to enjoy Cryptopsy) that Flo Mournier is simply one machine of a drummer. It's remarkable how someone can play at such a rapid pace while never faltering in precision. Amazing.

I'm shocked to realize that not a single person listed Neil Peart, being that he's quite possibly the most adept and influential drummer of all-time.

Mike Portnoy also deserves mention, solely because he's Fucking Mike Portnoy.

Yeah whomever listed Gar Samuelson- excellent choice, i never really thought much about him, until the remasters came out- wow, he was way ahead of his time, one of the first jazz influenced drummers in metal.

I've never heard of the named musician, but he sounds interesting. Care to offer a recommendation?

Hellhammer - I've had many of my friends (with some metal knowledge) say that Mayhem's drumming sounds like its a drum machine. but in reality this guy is fast. Sources say he played on the Emperor Song 'Moon over kara-shehr', many reviews say that the drumming is so fast it sounds like a drum machine. I dont think so. I know from watching the Mayhem dvd that he is faster than anyone i've ever seen. His arms often just become a blur.

Also worthy or mention

Dave Lombardo - always a fav
Faust - played on my fav album
Horgh - one of the few drummers that are actually bigger than his kit :p
Prosciptor - yea, thrashy BM drum master
Trym - i might like Emperor too much :) But, on their dvd he barely breaks sweat. Fast blasting must be too easier for him :OMG:

Flo Mounier - Cryptopsy - Whisper Supremacy
Dave Lombardo - Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
Danny Carey - Tool - Lateralus
Tomas Hakke - Meshuggah - Chaosphere
Rick Bizzaro - Nocturnus - Ethereal Tomb
Jason Roeder - Neurosis - Enemy of the Sun
Mike Smith/Doug Bohn - Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten/Pierced From Within
Ray Herrera - Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Pete Sandoval - Morbid Angel - Formulas Fatal to the Flesh
Tim Alexander - Primus - Tales From the Punchbowl
Andy Schroeder - Vehemence - God Was Created
Matt McDonough - Mudvayne - The End of All Things to Come

Transilvanian Scotsman said:
Hellhammer - I've had many of my friends (with some metal knowledge) say that Mayhem's drumming sounds like its a drum machine. but in reality this guy is fast. Sources say he played on the Emperor Song 'Moon over kara-shehr', many reviews say that the drumming is so fast it sounds like a drum machine. I dont think so. I know from watching the Mayhem dvd that he is faster than anyone i've ever seen. His arms often just become a blur.

He has one of the worst drums sound ever on this DVD.
Even if his playing is incredible, it's unheardable!

Gar Samuelson was Megadeth's original drummer for their first two albums- Killing is my business and Peace Sells, he was a jazz drummer that somehow fell into megadeth-probably the lure of doing alot of drugs. Both albums had shitty production, and the drums were pushed to the back and muddy. With the remasters, one finaly can hear a really excellent drummer. He died i think in 1989 or 88 of a heroin overdose.

Flo Mounier - Cryptopsy - EVERYTHING
I'm not even a drummer, but I still want to check out his instructional DVD coming out soon.
Janne Saarenpää - The Crown - Hell is Here

I'm def not a fan of black metal drummers. They seem to just blast constantly or double bass roll constantly, speed is good but it can get boring. I prefer guys that change things up all the time and use creative fills, thats why I usually tend to prefer death metal drummers like Flo, Culross, and Talley.