Favorite Metal Drummer

SunlapseVertigo said:
Flo Mounier - Cryptopsy - Whisper Supremacy

Danny Carey - Tool - Lateralus

Jason Roeder - Neurosis - Enemy of the Sun
Mike Smith/Doug Bohn - Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten/Pierced From Within
Ray Herrera - Fear Factory - Demanufacture

Tim Alexander - Primus - Tales From the Punchbowl
Andy Schroeder - Vehemence - God Was Created
Matt McDonough - Mudvayne - The End of All Things to Come
I agree with those guys. I'd add:

Nicko McBrain - Iron Maiden - Brave New World
Igor Cavalera - Sepultura - every fucking album, man!
Sean Reinert/Gene Hoglan/Richard Christy - Death - Human/Symbolic/TSOP
José Pasillas II - Incubus - SCIENCE

My favourite is Adrian Erlandsson on At The Gates "Terminal Spirit Disease" and "Slaughter of the Soul" - yes groove in metal!

Not a single mention of Thomas Tannenberger of Abigor. I'm continually disappointed. His work on Orkblut, Opus IV and Channeling the Quintessence of Satan is far beyond outstanding. Kjetil Haraldstad of Satyricon and 1349, Trym Thorson of Emperor and Zyklon, and Martin Lopez of Opeth deserve the accolades also. :kickass:

Spirit In Black said:
he is boring

I disagree (obviously or I wouldn't have mentioned him in the first place. I am a drummer and a fan of very technical drummers (the likes of Virgil Donati, Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colauita, Flo Mournier spring to mind) but Erlandsson's brilliance is that he matches the song excellently.

On The Red in the Sky is Ours and With Fear I kiss the burning Darkness he was a lot more flashy but when ATG stripped down their style, Adrian followed suit. Terminal Spirit Disease is a good example of playing for the song. Strong drum parts which make you want to headbang.

Would blasting and polyrhythmic fills have fitted? Good as they may be - you can't headbang to Cephalic Carnage.

Jondur said:
I disagree (obviously or I wouldn't have mentioned him in the first place. I am a drummer and a fan of very technical drummers (the likes of Virgil Donati, Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colauita, Flo Mournier spring to mind) but Erlandsson's brilliance is that he matches the song excellently.

On The Red in the Sky is Ours and With Fear I kiss the burning Darkness he was a lot more flashy but when ATG stripped down their style, Adrian followed suit. Terminal Spirit Disease is a good example of playing for the song. Strong drum parts which make you want to headbang.

Would blasting and polyrhythmic fills have fitted? Good as they may be - you can't headbang to Cephalic Carnage.
I have heard their earlier cd's and IMO he is just not that impressive......he fits the music yes, but he doesn't play that many different rhythms it's pretty much three or four different beats that he recycles throughout the entire cd, thats why I think he is boring. He isn't bad, but I wouldn't mention him with the best of all time.......that's all I'm saying

Martin Lopez - Opeth - Deliverance
Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater - Train of Thought
This drummer (Gene Hoglan!??!?) - Death - Individual Throught Patterns

Nicko McBrain of mighty Iron Maiden
Charlie Benante of mughty Anthrax
Ken Owen of mighty late Carcass
Paul Bostaph, ex-Slayer etc.
Nicke Andersson (sadly playing shit rock nowadays...), ex-Entombed
Daniel Svensson of In Flames

I'd have to say that Raymond Herrara has probably the fastest feet I've heard although I'm sure there is someone(s) faster out there. He's not the best drummer though I know. I really think Andols Herrick of Chimaira has some pretty tight drumming along with Igor Cavalera of Sepultura.

I can't name an ultimate favourite .. it's too hard.