Favorite Philosophers/Thinkers?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
I think it would be interesting for everyone to explain and describe their favorite philosophers--or the philosophers that have most influenced them.

And please, unless one is a cultureless heathen or a systematic robot, please do not rank favorite philosophers in order; its a subjective, not an objective exercise.

i must admit i am not intimately familiar with any noted philosopher's work. nearly everything i write here is of my own thoughts or drawn from experience, or from texts i have read including the Bible, various fiction novels with interesting worldviews, etc. currently i am reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms, a book written about 700 years ago about Chinese mythology and history. I'm interested in Confucious and other Asian philosophers as well as those of ancient times in other parts of the world. i have only a passing interest in current or recent philosopher's work at this time.

Sartre -- his book "nausea" really made me sit there and actually think about my existance

Emerson -- though he may not necessarily be considered a "philosopher", he was the man responsible for getting me into philosophy and transcendentalism

camus -- the man who got me into existentialism which basically outlined exactly what I was feeling at the time. 'The Myth of Sisyphus' and The Stranger rocked my world.

there's a few other odds and ends, but those are the major three

Well, when I was younger, maybe like 16 or 17, the first philospher I started getting into was Nietzsche. It probably had a lot to do with the provocative aspect of his philosophy but I was also just interested in the subject matter anyway. Of course there's no bigger cliché in the world than the 17 year old metalhead who picks up a copy of The Antichrist and thinks he knows everything about life, history, religion, etc. After that I discovered Sartre who influenced me to go in the existentialist direction. I'm not into his philosophy so much anymore simply because I disagree with him in a lot of ways. Other notable philosophers whose thoughts I've taken a liking to more recently are David Hume, Ludwig Wittgenstein, William James, G.E. Moore, and Saul Kripke.

Cythraul said:
Of course there's no bigger cliché in the world than the 17 year old metalhead who picks up a copy of The Antichrist and thinks he knows everything about life, history, religion, etc.

Except for the non-metalheads who pick up Atlas Shrugged, right? :p

Hey, I might think Rand's philosphy is shit, but no one can argue her mettle as a fiction writer and the power of that book.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Except for the non-metalheads who pick up Atlas Shrugged, right? :p

I thought this was a philosophy section. It's charitable to call Ayn Rand literature but illiterate to call her a philosopher.

infoterror said:
I thought this was a philosophy section. It's charitable to call Ayn Rand literature but illiterate to call her a philosopher.

That was the funniest thing Ive heard this week. Seriously.

Ah but his Ayn Rand comment was full of well thought wit. Anyone that has a brain and has come across Ayn Rand would have to agree.

I've always been a big fan of Nietzsche. *shrug* Also, even though he transcends philosophy and religion I absolutely adore Anton LaVey. I especially enjoyed the essays in The Devil's Notebook.

I think it's fair to say that Nietzsche *had his moments*, rather than praising his entire philosophy. I'm far from being well read enough to answer this topic, though.

The thing about Nietzsche and LaVey is that their views are inappropriate for the general populace in the current state that it's in (i.e. braindead) It's more for an few elite - or Alien Elite if you will. :D

Set Abominae said:
The thing about Nietzsche and LaVey is that their views are inappropriate for the general populace in the current state that it's in (i.e. braindead) It's more for an few elite - or Alien Elite if you will. :D

Id have to agree with this comment and Gallantry's. Luckily 99% of the populace will neither read, nor understand Nietzsche; those that actually represent his classical ideal, probably dont need Nietzsche's ideas or support--they already consider themselves supermen.

The other great benefit of Nietszche is not what he created, but what he destroyed. The man left christianity, morality, and most philosophy in ruins. Its quite beautiful really.