Why people find philosophers annoying

One issue with persons who "have philosophical tendencies" is that they're likely willing to have such discussions with anyone.

But, most people are more private with their thoughts. The more you speak, the deeper you delve, the more you show how you really think and feel. There's risks to revealing your inner character and most aren't willing to discuss things like life and law and society with someone they don't know too well.

http://www.morehouse.edu/facstaff/nnobis/papers/ed.html

A philosopher should be like a dog with a bone. They grab hold of the problem and won't let go.

I am put off from arguing this way because I used to make my father really angry taking apart his argument, trying to show him what it is that he seems to be saying and why it seems flawed to me and so on. I am tempted do this in various forums that I frequent, but fear that it is taken as being offensive to the person I am debating with. I appreciate it if someone would debate with me in that way, just so long as they are not constantly playing "devil's advocate" as that really is annoying!

What do you all think?

I am not sure which, but at least one of the ancient philosophers really annoyed those he was debating with - probably Socrates did at least.

I have dealt in many fields of academia as an Independent Research Scientist. During my early years, 19 years ago, I started out learning philosophy. However, in recent years I think I've developed a true hatred of philosophy. Let me explain. I accept the 3 laws of logic and learning what real fallacies are. But I see all this as Middle School knowledge that should be taught in Middle School.

I used to love studying cosmology for years until one day it dawned on me that most of everything you read about space beyond our solar system is mere philosophy and not science! Its one metaphysical conjectured piled on to more conjectures. In other words, its all guess work. Even the mathematics are based on imaginary numbers which can be manipulated to get the desired results.

I have completely abandoned cosmology as I see it as a pseudo-science. In fact, I have even renamed cosmology and now call it Deep Space Fantasia. I simply don't have time to study things that cannot produce accurate results.

Don't misinterpret my intentions. I am not against solid maxims nor am I anti-science. I strongly approve of science. I just don't like bad science.

When I see people debating cosmology and things attributed to deep space I cannot help but see them waste their time. We have all heard how "scientists" (or so-called) have solved the universe. Ironically, NASA has just discovered the first planet outside our galaxy. Don't sound solved to me.

In ancient times philosophy was a means to find truth. Even then philosophers were guilty of framing false arguments to fit their desired view on something. But since the ancients did not have modern science, philosophy was their best option for discussing truth. But today, in the 21st century, I think its safe to say that philosophy means not true. I have seen far too many people use philosophy to fuel their own egos while deliberately ignoring real points made by other people. Since this seems like the norm for the modern era then I will abandon philosophy. And since I have abandoned philosophy I can reply to an argument using knowable scientific knowledge to all scientific arguments. I never have to philosophize anything.

So that's how I feel about philosophy.

I have dealt in many fields of academia as an Independent Research Scientist. During my early years, 19 years ago, I started out learning philosophy. However, in recent years I think I've developed a true hatred of philosophy. Let me explain. I accept the 3 laws of logic and learning what real fallacies are. But I see all this as Middle School knowledge that should be taught in Middle School.

I used to love studying cosmology for years until one day it dawned on me that most of everything you read about space beyond our solar system is mere philosophy and not science! Its one metaphysical conjectured piled on to more conjectures. In other words, its all guess work. Even the mathematics are based on imaginary numbers which can be manipulated to get the desired results.

I have completely abandoned cosmology as I see it as a pseudo-science. In fact, I have even renamed cosmology and now call it Deep Space Fantasia. I simply don't have time to study things that cannot produce accurate results.

Don't misinterpret my intentions. I am not against solid maxims nor am I anti-science. I strongly approve of science. I just don't like bad science.

When I see people debating cosmology and things attributed to deep space I cannot help but see them waste their time. We have all heard how "scientists" (or so-called) have solved the universe. Ironically, NASA has just discovered the first planet outside our galaxy. Don't sound solved to me.

In ancient times philosophy was a means to find truth. Even then philosophers were guilty of framing false arguments to fit their desired view on something. But since the ancients did not have modern science, philosophy was their best option for discussing truth. But today, in the 21st century, I think its safe to say that philosophy means not true. I have seen far too many people use philosophy to fuel their own egos while deliberately ignoring real points made by other people. Since this seems like the norm for the modern era then I will abandon philosophy. And since I have abandoned philosophy I can reply to an argument using knowable scientific knowledge to all scientific arguments. I never have to philosophize anything.

So that's how I feel about philosophy.
honestly
this sounds like you're being lazy
you're just being Christian and using your Christianity to say that anything contradicting Christianity must therefore be "bad science"

but if you assume Christianity is wrong, then that opens your mind into being able to accept the parts of science that kinda prove Christianity wrong, like how when you look at the measurements of Noah's ark, the animals that existed at the time, could not have all fit into the ark, the animals that existed at that time did not include dinosaurs, humans did not interact with dinosaurs, if each story in the old testament actually happened there's no way in hell the stories are presented in chronological order, y-chromosomal-Adam, mitochondrial-Eve are way-the-fuck-older than biblical Adam-and-Eve, humans with condoms-made-of-sheep-intestines existed before biblical Adam-and-Eve, the 38-boat-stories aren't really similar enough to be 38 re-tellings of Noah's Ark, they were 38 different boats, Noah's flood couldn't have been global with only Noah and his family being the only survivors because humans now have too much genetic-variation in us for all of us to be descended from Noah's sons and their wives, i could go on with this but it's 7:30 PM here and I've been awake all day and I'm kinda sleepy

honestly
this sounds like you're being lazy
you're just being Christian and using your Christianity to say that anything contradicting Christianity must therefore be "bad science"

but if you assume Christianity is wrong, then that opens your mind into being able to accept the parts of science that kinda prove Christianity wrong, like how when you look at the measurements of Noah's ark, the animals that existed at the time, could not have all fit into the ark, the animals that existed at that time did not include dinosaurs, humans did not interact with dinosaurs, if each story in the old testament actually happened there's no way in hell the stories are presented in chronological order, y-chromosomal-Adam, mitochondrial-Eve are way-the-fuck-older than biblical Adam-and-Eve, humans with condoms-made-of-sheep-intestines existed before biblical Adam-and-Eve, the 38-boat-stories aren't really similar enough to be 38 re-tellings of Noah's Ark, they were 38 different boats, Noah's flood couldn't have been global with only Noah and his family being the only survivors because humans now have too much genetic-variation in us for all of us to be descended from Noah's sons and their wives, i could go on with this but it's 7:30 PM here and I've been awake all day and I'm kinda sleepy

Your reply has nothing to do with my reply. In fact, I specialize in geoscience. So answering Flood questions in geology is easy for me. I don't waste my time in philosophy which is why I refuse to get caught up in debates about Deep Space Fantasia. I deal strictly with Theology, History and science---science from the Ground Zero perspective (knowable science). You have skepticism. Big deal. Its all been answered. But you never answered our skepticism on your dubious worldview. That's because you have no answers.