Why people find philosophers annoying

Yeah...to be honest, I've never heard anyone who described himself as a scholar who wasn't more or less full of himself.

I have to say, I really dont know any philosophers other than the few philosophy students on this forum. Are there any non-academic philosophers? By and large, I think the problem is all of academia (with exceptions of course), not merely philosophers, share the same rigid and pretentious outlook and personality.

Where can I get a brush that size? :lol:

Where can I get a brush that size? :lol:

I like large canvases.

Ah, most of my best friends have phd's, hehe. And after a few existential crises replete with calls to former professors and friends, I've twice been accepted for a phd (once at Cornell no less), and twice decided not to pursue an academic career. Maybe I will finally give in, and become rigid, dry, and annoying. Or maybe I already am? Of course a phd not in philosophy. I think thats obvious to all here.

http://www.morehouse.edu/facstaff/nnobis/papers/ed.html

A philosopher should be like a dog with a bone. They grab hold of the problem and won't let go.

I am put off from arguing this way because I used to make my father really angry taking apart his argument, trying to show him what it is that he seems to be saying and why it seems flawed to me and so on. I am tempted do this in various forums that I frequent, but fear that it is taken as being offensive to the person I am debating with. I appreciate it if someone would debate with me in that way, just so long as they are not constantly playing "devil's advocate" as that really is annoying!

What do you all think?

I am not sure which, but at least one of the ancient philosophers really annoyed those he was debating with - probably Socrates did at least.

:lol: ok. thats one way to look at it.

I love philosophy, but most philosophers I've met are pretentious douchebags.

Out of curiosity, did everyone else have such active minds when they were that young, or am I just strange? It seems to me that most adults don't expect or even believe that kids can be deep like that.

No, I had many similar thoughts. I think my little kid philosophical thoughts were very sophist/nihlist. I was very good at looking at a large scale too. The stuff I learned in high school totally annoyed me. How hard is it to understand existentialism, really, can we move on now? I'm sure such things were thought way before people even began writing. But yeah, that's just my experience.

No, I had many similar thoughts. I think my little kid philosophical thoughts were very sophist/nihlist. I was very good at looking at a large scale too. The stuff I learned in high school totally annoyed me. How hard is it to understand existentialism, really, can we move on now? I'm sure such things were thought way before people even began writing. But yeah, that's just my experience.
Good, I'm glad it's not just me. I wouldn't say I had a large scale view, but I certainly thought in long term, such as "it doesn't matter because I'm going to die no matter what," but not so long term as to understand that our solar system will deteriorate and eventually the entire universe my no longer exist in its current form.

We didn't have philosophy in my high school, but when I took an intro philosophy course in college, I was annoyed because in my opinion, everything that we discussed was intuitive enough that there was no reason to spend more than a few minutes discussing each concept.

There's a philosophy course at my high school for seniors, I'm signed up to take it next year. I hope it isn't a load of crap.

I've never taken the "it doesn't matter because we'll all die" view, but I've used that to avoid the "what will they put on my tombstone" outlook.

I've never taken the "it doesn't matter because we'll all die" view, but I've used that to avoid the "what will they put on my tombstone" outlook.
My ex-girlfriend is taking a Death & Dying course right now and asked me for help last week thinking of an epitaph, because it was one of her assignments. I came up with

Here Lies
Stephanie Barry

Trust Me,
She Was Better
in Person​

She liked it so much that she handed it in like that :lol:

Good, I'm glad it's not just me. I wouldn't say I had a large scale view, but I certainly thought in long term, such as "it doesn't matter because I'm going to die no matter what," but not so long term as to understand that our solar system will deteriorate and eventually the entire universe my no longer exist in its current form.

We didn't have philosophy in my high school, but when I took an intro philosophy course in college, I was annoyed because in my opinion, everything that we discussed was intuitive enough that there was no reason to spend more than a few minutes discussing each concept.

i had the exact same problem in elementary/middle/highschool everything they taught seemed intuitive and/or pointless, i was still in middle school when i realised that elementary was just a prep-course for middleschool, which was a prep-course for highschool, and that highschool was really nothing more than a prep-course for college, the required childhood schooling never teaches anything that you need to know "in the real world". i don't know about other countries, but in USA, the required-by-law schooling doesn't teach how to get employed, how to avoid getting fired, how to get pay raises, how to balance a checkbook, how to avoid credit card debt, how to develop deep, meaningful freindships/romantic relationships, contraception/how to raise children, etc etc etc, American school doesn't teach any of those skills, the required-by-law schooling is nothing more than a prep-course for American college, i realized all this really young, and when i realized that i could survive without college, i stopped paying attention in school

School is pretty much bullshit here. As my English teacher said, high school is important to get a taste of everything. Fucking retarded, I hate English, Earth Science, Health (minus the psychological stuff), and Algebra. No job I can or will do involves any of that shit. Most people I know who are out of school forgot most of the stuff they learned.

Its kind of stupid how the school in america is only meant for average people. And they have nothing for more intelligent people, sure they have GT classes but all that is is just more information to regurgitate, no intelligence there, just more time wasted on school. Its hard for intelligent people (not to brag) to learn in an environment meant for less intelligent people. Most concepts I learn in Algebra are just taught so fucking slow and piece by piece that I either know it after the first piece, or I dont pay attention and end up figuring it out later on my own (and forget it over the summer due to not using it). And a shitload of lessons are common sense. Its retarded how we (as in all people average or not) have to waste time to learn stuff for jobs that 99% of people wont do, just for that 1% who need it. I dont need to know what a cumulonimbus cloud is unless Im going to predict weather. I think what people should do is make people take tests to see what their strengths and weaknesses are, and what is useful for what they want to and can do, so they can learn what they need and skip all the bullshit. The only reason they dont do that is because the board of education is too lazy to devise a good test to see what people can and want to do, and to build more schools. Pisses me off.

And in my opinion I think people find them annoying for the same reason most people hate nerds. Because they make them feel stupid.

crap. Sorry guys, I seem to have inadvertently sparked another bitch-about-school thread.

Thats okay. I dont know how it relates to this thread though. Public Schooling in America is absolute shit. I havent subsstituted in 5 years, but I remember how bad it was--how I essentially was a glorified gaurd for all but the one class of intelligent students each teacher seemed to get one bell a day.

Perhaps Feathers and Flames should write a new thread about his schooling experiences. It is an important philosophical subject (well, education was an important philosophical subject before philosophy was lost to the ivory towers.)

Thats okay. I dont know how it relates to this thread though. Public Schooling in America is absolute shit. I havent subsstituted in 5 years, but I remember how bad it was--how I essentially was a glorified gaurd for all but the one class of intelligent students each teacher seemed to get one bell a day.

Perhaps Feathers and Flames should write a new thread about his schooling experiences. It is an important philosophical subject (well, education was an important philosophical subject before philosophy was lost to the ivory towers.)

a thread about how American schooling is crap would be a really interesting thread, but would it really be a "philosopher" forum thread?

I wouldn't call myself a philosopher to start with, but I do think.
And I think that's why some people may find thinkers or philosophers annoying... because they don't (think).
We feel the need to point things out that they may already know, but can't be bothered trying to think about to the point where it becomes a coherent set of ideas.

People find philosophers annoying because they've reached the conclusion that reality is subjective - in which case thinking so hard about things that have no definite answer is a waste of time.