Favorite Philosophers/Thinkers?

speed said:
The other great benefit of Nietszche is not what he created, but what he destroyed. The man left christianity, morality, and most philosophy in ruins. Its quite beautiful really.

Funny, I consider that rather horrible. :p

We think much differently Anon Nick.

I guess I posted this thread toshow off, but anyway since Demiurge offerred his, here are mine:

I'd say Lucian ( although a satirist), Epicurus, Epictetus, Antisthenes, Diogenes-- any of the old Cynics, Stoics, I even find myself agreeing with the peripatetics on alot of things.

Well I am obviously a hater of systems: nietszche, Cioran, Camus, Dostoevsky, Schopenhauer, Bakhtin--although systematic. Russell when he sticks to his common sense psychology.

I do find Hegel, Marx, Kant, Pascal to be rather interesting, and I am acquanted with their works.

The Cynics imparted much knowledge. Their emphasis on self-control as high virtue rings very true to me, as I see passion as a potentially great attribute, but a destructive vice in the absence of self-control.

speed said:
Luckily 99% of the populace will neither read, nor understand Nietzsche; those that actually represent his classical ideal, probably dont need Nietzsche's ideas or support--they already consider themselves supermen.

This is exactly what annoys me about 90% of Nietzsche's adherents.

speed said:
Id have to agree with this comment and Gallantry's. Luckily 99% of the populace will neither read, nor understand Nietzsche; those that actually represent his classical ideal, probably dont need Nietzsche's ideas or support--they already consider themselves supermen.

It's kind of like Evola saying that he was not a teacher. His writings were to aid the journey of a certain kind of person, not to convert just any potential reader.

Gallantry over Docility said:
I was thinking of researching him. Any work I should aim to start with?

There isn't much of Heraclitus, just fragments.

For a nice summary: http://www.utm.edu/research/iep/h/heraclit.htm

There are several books available, which contain his fragments(often titled simply "Fragments"). He isn't exactly easy reading, especially since many of them are taken out of context. It's not neologisms that are problematic, but that he has a way of speaking in riddles(it's even what he's called: the riddler).

Demiurge said:
It's kind of like Evola saying that he was not a teacher. His writings were to aid the journey of a certain kind of person, not to convert just any potential reader.

Well said, well said.

And Heraclitus and Thales both are primarily left only in the writing of other ancients. Its the same with the cynics, and the epicureans. In the Epicureans case, the church decided to wipe out most of their works. A few survive, and Lucretius of course. I really wish the church didnt destroy most of Porphrry's attack against christianity written in the mid 100's when it wasnt even a major religion.

Demiurge, you need to read Demonax ( who was himself a famous greek philosopher) by Lucian; his Description of Demonax, is to me a description of the ideal philosopher.

Set Abominae said:
The thing about Nietzsche and LaVey is that their views are inappropriate for the general populace in the current state that it's in (i.e. braindead) It's more for an few elite - or Alien Elite if you will. :D

The general populace never has any philosophy except "eat, shit, die" however.

Nietzsche's is a philosophy for philosopher-kings... as all philosophy is outside of the kiddie (Russell, Wittgenstein) variety.

infoterror said:
The general populace never has any philosophy except "eat, shit, die" however.

Nietzsche's is a philosophy for philosopher-kings... as all philosophy is outside of the kiddie (Russell, Wittgenstein) variety.

:tickled: You fuckass. Stop overrating Nietzsche.

SunMontage said:
Why, exactly...? Just because you think so?
because it is a self-defeating philosophy. if a society followed his teachings exclusively, they would inevitably degrade and destroy themselves, at a higher rate than if they adhered to other philosophies.

The philosophy isnt half bad; kinda of a cross between Crowley, Nietszche, Dionysiac pleasure, Stoicism, and the nerdiness of an awkward teenager. but honestly, if I was going to be religious, I'd probably be a Satanist.

Now this official statement is pure genius on the satanist's part:
Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has kept it in business all these years!