Favorite Philosophers/Thinkers?

I've read excerpts, and fully intend to sit down once and for all and devour Walden to its core. Thoreau's basic concept of thought in the book is good, methinks. Reconnect with nature, not so much to reject society, but to discover the self; humans are part of nature after all, and our origins of the Earth itself.

The good ideas in Laveyan Satanism were lifted from elsewhere.

This philosophy is too reactionary. Rather than seek to transcend the normative, it posits a binary reaction(indulge, indulge, indulge!). Rising above the herd while remaining firmly grounded within it doesn't work. Look, a supra-normative being doesn't need Anton Lavey to tell him which values he should adopt.

Silent Song said:
now now, that is a bit condescending. the so called "rediculous" parts of christianity, if there are any to be seen as such, are not connected to the absolute core values as they are with levay satanism. while one can argue various facets of christianity, it is far simpler to show inherent logical (and not so much philosophical) flaws that levay outlines in his core points of what satanists should think like.

Yeah perhaps I went a little too far now I think about it. My distaste for most of Christianity sometimes wins out over logic. So, sorry.

Im still curious how this levay character obtained followers? Whats his background? And really, now that I reread his core principles and laws, except for some silly ones, most truly mesh with the core values of American materialistic, business culture.

i'm no expert but it seems to me that he would appeal to those who are interested in his symbolism and distaste for other religions. those attracted (in the simplest sense) to the pentagram, purple black and red, "satan", and an opposition to christianity, or just something dark and shocking to mainstream society (though in reality no different as we have discussed)... in short, those who have not thought out clearly what it is they are subscribing to.

Silent Song said:
i'm no expert but it seems to me that he would appeal to those who are interested in his symbolism and distaste for other religions. those attracted (in the simplest sense) to the pentagram, purple black and red, "satan", and an opposition to christianity, or just something dark and shocking to mainstream society (though in reality no different as we have discussed)... in short, those who have not thought out clearly what it is they are subscribing to.

I agree with some of this, especially the part about people being attracted to his teachings because they're looking for "something dark and shocking to mainstream society." But I really doubt people choose satanism as a belief system because they like purple, black, and red, or even pentagrams for that matter. You can find those colors anywhere, regardless of religious affiliation. Incidentally you have listed my three favorite colors, and I think satanism is one of the more ridiculous belief systems out there.

The symbolism of the pentagram was initially rooted in paganism, NOT satanism. When upright (as opposed to inverted) the five points of the pentagram stand for the five elements--earth, air, fire, water, and spirit. The satanists took this symbol and corrupted it, much like the way the Nazis took and used the swastika, (which, if I am not mistaken, began as some kind of Eastern symbol). However it's still an integral symbol used and recognized among modern pagans, not something exclusive to satanism (although unfortunately the two are often confused as a result.)

NeverIsForever said:
I agree with some of this, especially the part about people being attracted to his teachings because they're looking for "something dark and shocking to mainstream society." But I really doubt people choose satanism as a belief system because they like purple, black, and red, or even pentagrams for that matter. You can find those colors anywhere, regardless of religious affiliation. Incidentally you have listed my three favorite colors, and I think satanism is one of the more ridiculous belief systems out there.

The symbolism of the pentagram was initially rooted in paganism, NOT satanism. When upright (as opposed to inverted) the five points of the pentagram stand for the five elements--earth, air, fire, water, and spirit. The satanists took this symbol and corrupted it, much like the way the Nazis took and used the swastika, (which, if I am not mistaken, began as some kind of Eastern symbol). However it's still an integral symbol used and recognized among modern pagans, not something exclusive to satanism (although unfortunately the two are often confused as a result.)
i am aware of all of this and coincidentally red & black are my favorite colors as well.

i was referring to these things from the perspective of those people attracted to satanism, not you or i. trust me when i claim these things, i have heard it from the lips of self-proclaimed "satanists" who worship the ways of lavey.

don't make any mistake, i agree with what you say here. i am clarifying what i had said.

You people are laughable. I could sit around all day generalizing and making up shit too if I felt like it. Why don't you use a fucking search engine and figure out what the hell you're talking about before you post or maybe you could actually meet some Satanists...like actual adults that have been practicing for 20+ years...?

infoterror said:
Which part of my original statement did you disagree with? And maybe it's just me, but I don't see how the pages you linked to have any relevance to the discussion. I mean, language trees???

My point regarding the pentagram was that the pagans had it first. I don't think this is arguable. Paganism existed before even Christianity. The early Christians had to invent Satan first, before anyone could have the bright idea of worshipping him and not God. Therefore paganism predates satanism and any symbols shared by the two religions were pagan symbols first.

SunMontage said:
or maybe you could actually meet some Satanists...like actual adults that have been practicing for 20+ years...?

So "actual adults that have been practicing for 20+ years" do not espouse the same tenets to be found on the official website? Unless their beliefs differ, then I do not see what meeting them would accomplish. Please enlighten me.

sun Montage, quoting sources to support your argument is one thing.

posting links you found in 3 seconds on a search engine vaguely related to your topic in hopes of appearing more intelligent does not pass. especially when you don't even take the time to verify the authority of your source. come on, this is research writing 101.

and what trust can be placed in information presented by such individuals? if i were trying to prove what that tree and its vague connection to this topic are saying, i certainly wouldn't construct a site as that individual has. i would have shown evidence for such conclusions, the sources of research, and credible data, and left off the extraneous stupidity.

Silent Song said:
sun Montage, quoting sources to support your argument is one thing.

posting links you found in 3 seconds on a search engine vaguely related to your topic in hopes of appearing more intelligent does not pass. especially when you don't even take the time to verify the authority of your source. come on, this is research writing 101.

What the fack are you talking about? I didn't post any links...but don't you worry your little head because I will be posting some and you will repent...