Favorite Power/Prog Metal Bands?

Prog Rock-King Crimson,Yes,Genesis,Anyone's Daughter,Camel, and Nektar
Prog Metal-Dream Theater,Symphony X,Adagio
Power Metal-Stratovarius,Kamelot, Magistral(I guess this sounds like a shameless plug for my guitar teacher's band but they get better and better with every new song)
And whatever category Evergrey fits in :headbang:

dargormudshark said:
Prog Rock-King Crimson,Yes,Genesis,Anyone's Daughter,Camel, and Nektar
Prog Metal-Dream Theater,Symphony X,Adagio
Power Metal-Stratovarius,Kamelot, Magistral(I guess this sounds like a shameless plug for my guitar teacher's band but they get better and better with every new song)
And whatever category Evergrey fits in :headbang:

Hmmmm..... a new candidate for Vanden Plas. Heard them ? Pretty cool list there, except could never "get" Camel and never heard Nektar.

Evergrey is cool as well. Saw them live twice and enjoy them, but they somehow haven't reached that "kick my ass" threshold like they have with many of my friends.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Hmmmm..... a new candidate for Vanden Plas. Heard them ? Pretty cool list there, except could never "get" Camel and never heard Nektar.

Evergrey is cool as well. Saw them live twice and enjoy them, but they somehow haven't reached that "kick my ass" threshold like they have with many of my friends.

Bryant

Of course I've heard Vanden Plas, I was right up front for them at progpower!
With Camel you really have to sit back and listen to at the right moment. Moonmadness is a great album to just sit back and absorb it all. Listen to "Another Night" and "Never Let Go". Nektar is a pretty cool band that has some cool keyboard work. Listen to "King of Twilight" and "Remember the Future". Have you heard Anyone's Daughter? If you hav'nt try to download "Adonis" it's one of my favorite songs ever. Unfortunately, their first two albums are out of print. Those are the on;y ones that are in english the rest are in german, most of their cd's are out of print. I think you can ony get 1 studio and 2 lives. I got one of the lives at Progpower it came with a dvd too, all for $13

I remember talking to you about Vanden Plas last at the Aftershow Party at Progpower.

dargormudshark said:
Of course I've heard Vanden Plas, I was right up front for them at progpower!
With Camel you really have to sit back and listen to at the right moment. Moonmadness is a great album to just sit back and absorb it all. Listen to "Another Night" and "Never Let Go". Nektar is a pretty cool band that has some cool keyboard work. Listen to "King of Twilight" and "Remember the Future". Have you heard Anyone's Daughter? If you hav'nt try to download "Adonis" it's one of my favorite songs ever. Unfortunately, their first two albums are out of print. Those are the on;y ones that are in english the rest are in german, most of their cd's are out of print. I think you can ony get 1 studio and 2 lives. I got one of the lives at Progpower it came with a dvd too, all for $13

I remember talking to you about Vanden Plas last at the Aftershow Party at Progpower.

Hmmmmm..... sorry Camel is not for me. I am very diverse. I can even listen to bluegrass (with no vocals) and all kinds of experimental music, but Camel puts me to sleep. I will check out the Nektar when I get a chance though.

As far as seeing Vanden Plas, you might remember me. I was in a wheelchair part of the time, but standing at other times with a huge brace on my left leg. Hopefully this year my body will have 206 bones as opposed to 207.

Bryant

recently turned onto MASTERPLAN great power/prog great vocals cross between coverdale and dio. I also enjoy

Brainstorm
Fates Warning
Circle II Circle (now these guys are doing Tage Mahal w/ Jon Oliva)
Primal Fear
Symphony X and many many more but of course we can't leave out SYMPHORCE

I Love many bands not only Power Metal, my faves bands are: Iron Maiden, Queen, Scorpions, Saxon, Dio, Helloween, Stormwind, Tad Morose, Nocturnal Rites, Manowar, Hammerfall, Therion, Def Leppard, Journey, Asia, Rhapsody, Vision Divine, At Vance, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, Pharaoh, Picture, Riot, Krokus, Warlock, Doro Pesch & many others........

:headbang:

Bryant said:
Hmmmmm..... sorry Camel is not for me. I am very diverse. I can even listen to bluegrass (with no vocals) and all kinds of experimental music, but Camel puts me to sleep. I will check out the Nektar when I get a chance though.

As far as seeing Vanden Plas, you might remember me. I was in a wheelchair part of the time, but standing at other times with a huge brace on my left leg. Hopefully this year my body will have 206 bones as opposed to 207.

Bryant

Yeah, I remember when Mikey from Evergrey was doing wheelies in your wheelchair. I can understand camel putting you to sleep, I go to sleep to Camel all the time.

dargormudshark said:
Yeah, I remember when Mikey from Evergrey was doing wheelies in your wheelchair. I can understand camel putting you to sleep, I go to sleep to Camel all the time.

:err: Hmmm.... The Pagans Mind guys were supposed to be watching that for me !! It was a rental !! :loco:

You know that might be a good use for Camel. It's not like they are horrible..... just very...... ummm.... mellow would be a "nice" adjective.

Bryant

Bryant said:
:err: Hmmm.... The Pagans Mind guys were supposed to be watching that for me !! It was a rental !! :loco:

You know that might be a good use for Camel. It's not like they are horrible..... just very...... ummm.... mellow would be a "nice" adjective.

Bryant

Yeah, just as long as the melody is adn the musicians get it across right without it screwing up, I'll love it. Depending on how powerful the melody is, I think some stuff,such as classical can be just as powerful as power metal.

If Bach were alive today, you think he would like metal?

Classical music can be very powerful, I think it must be similiar to metal in some way because of how well they blend when paired. :}

dargormudshark said:
Yeah, just as long as the melody is adn the musicians get it across right without it screwing up, I'll love it. Depending on how powerful the melody is, I think some stuff,such as classical can be just as powerful as power metal.

dargormudshark said:

I agree 100% I like some classical music, especially Russians like Rachmaninoff and Rimsky-Korskov (sp?) On a different note, I don't think the fact that I like metal should exclude me from other music though. Probably 98% of what I listen to is metal, but I do that because that is what I like the most.

Bryant

I totally agree. I know one guy who listens to everything from Phil Collins to Dimmu Borgir! I don't like either of them but I'm just saying. My range is probably from Zappa, Classical,Miles Davis, and some fusion to Bodom, In Flames, and some black metal.

When people ask me about my favorite bands it is always such a challange as first off I like such a big variety of music...I'll just about listen to anything w/the exclusion of rap, country and folklore...as long as it sounds good to my ears it will do! I also collect cd's so I am contantly discovering "new music" :) Alright...I'll break down and do a somewhat comprehensive list of all my favs...but not today! :p

dargormudshark said:
I would recomend Burning Down The Opera, that is one of the best live metal albums ever! The only song it's missing is "The Unbeliever". I am really dissappointed in Edguy's new single "Lavatory Love Machine", this crap sounds like poison, why don't they just tease up their hair.

Burning Donw the Opera is prolly the BEST live album I have heard in years! I wish they had played atleast Hallowed from Savage Poetry on it! That bothered me that they totally overlooked that album! ...... LLM is a joke! hahahah it really is granted I Hope they dont get big in the states from that song! that would be wrong! But I like it its a fun lil dity but its no Mysteria!

As far as prog goes..( in no particular order). Dream Theater of course!!! RUSH, Queensryche, Pagans Mind, Symphony X, and Time Requiem (I haven't heard anyone mention them!), Sanvoisen, and Siam

Power.... Tad Morose, Brainstorm, Wuthering Heights, Nightwish, Heavens Gate (AWESOME!), Aina, Jorn Lande, UDO, Edguy, Nostradameus, Cyclone Temple, David Shankle Group, DGM, Anthrax, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Angra, Silent Force, Rob Rock and much much much more!!!

JonnyD said:
Burning Donw the Opera is prolly the BEST live album I have heard in years! I wish they had played atleast Hallowed from Savage Poetry on it! That bothered me that they totally overlooked that album! ...... LLM is a joke! hahahah it really is granted I Hope they dont get big in the states from that song! that would be wrong! But I like it its a fun lil dity but its no Mysteria!

Yeah I think there jumping on the whole vintage thing like "The Darkness". They didn't totally overlook VGO. They play the title track. I wish they would have played "The Unbeliever".

dargormudshark said:
Yeah I think there jumping on the whole vintage thing like "The Darkness". They didn't totally overlook VGO. They play the title track. I wish they would have played "The Unbeliever".

Just needed to quote you since I see you are spinning MSG... :)

The_Q said:
Power.... Tad Morose, Brainstorm, Wuthering Heights, Nightwish, Heavens Gate (AWESOME!), Aina, Jorn Lande, UDO, Edguy, Nostradameus, Cyclone Temple, David Shankle Group, DGM, Anthrax, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Angra, Silent Force, Rob Rock and much much much more!!!
Cool to see a U.D.O. fan in here. I'm more of an Accept fan than U.D.O. but he still brings the noise. I think he's agreat vocalist.... or at the very least unmistakable.

Bryant

I looooove Symphony X. Kamelot grew on me. Angra. SAVATAGE!!!!! I guess u could call Blind guardian's latest progressive... Tad Morose too judging on the 2 albums I have... ok I'm done kissing ass!