Favorite Power/Prog Metal Bands?

BlindPanzer said:
I looooove Symphony X. Kamelot grew on me. Angra. SAVATAGE!!!!! I guess u could call Blind guardian's latest progressive... Tad Morose too judging on the 2 albums I have... ok I'm done kissing ass!
Hard not to kiss ass for me. Tad Morose ripped my head off. I couldn't believe I hadn't heard them earlier...... Have you checked out Vanden Plas ? Especially their latest "Beyind Daylight ?" it is brilliant.

Bryant

Ok here is my list, I choose to incorporate all of the styles of music I like...just because I can :p

Gotta start off with my top 2 favorite bands: Iron Maiden and Bon Jovi...hahahaha! A definate odd combination as they could not be any different!

Bon Jovi>Was my introduction to rock and later on I moved to heavier things. In my opinion they are the less "cheesier" culprits of the 80's hair metal hehehe, and excellent musicians who make fun records. They are outstanding live and will forever be in my top bands...yes, I m not ashamed!

Iron Maiden>What can I say about this band that hasn't already been said? It just all works so beautifully, Bruce's vocals with Steve's bass attack, Nicko's infectious drumming and now 3 killer guitars....sheer metal heaven for me...and their live performances are just a array of contant adrenaline rush.

Alice Cooper>The original shock rocker, I love his antics and his music..
Danzig>The evil Elvis!
Journey>Steve Perry's vocals are just so crystal clear and he sings every note so effortlessly. Love them!
Ok..I don't want to bore everybody with my silly comments as to all my fav bands...so here goes a somewhat comprehensive list>

TM (of course!), Brainstorm/Symphorce/Pantera/Metallica(old Metallica!)/Charon/Nightingale/Blaze/Dio/Queensryche/Dream Theater/Evergrey/Dokken/Skid Row/Depeche Mode/Bruce Dickinson/Ozzy/Black Sabbath/Deep Purple/Whitesnake/Heart/The Scorpions/Hammerfall/Type O Negative/Morgana Lefay/Van Halen/Sinner/The sisters of mercy/Circle II Circle/Primal Fear/The Alan Parson's Project/Children of Bodom/Warrior/A-ha/Angel Dust/GTR/Eric Clapton/Evanescence/Nightwish/Marillion/Masterplan(anything with Jorn!)/Nevermore/Richie Sambora/Tiamat/Savatage/Testament/Iced Earth/Foreigner/Xymox/Pat Benatar/Edguy/(a couple of 80's south american rock bands whom if I list you won't know :p) and I guess many more but I am running out of steam here...so there's a little bit of everything on my list.

Bryant said:
Have you checked out Vanden Plas ? Especially their latest "Beyind Daylight ?" it is brilliant.

I like what I just heard from their website... any album you recommend starting with?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm kind of slow

BlindPanzer said:
I like what I just heard from their website... any album you recommend starting with?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm kind of slow
Ha ha ha I have days like that as well. In fact everyday is like that for me. :yuk:
"Beyond Daylight" is pretty high quality stuff.

Bryant

I agree, that album is great. The only song I don't care for on that album is "end of all days". Other than that songs like "Cold Wind","Scarlett Flowerfields","Healing Tree", and the title track. But all there albums are good. My first was Colour Temple. I remember when I first heard "Days of Thunder", another awesome song. I'd say if your'e looking for something heavy get "Far Off Grace". :headbang:

Pabla said:
Bon Jovi>Was my introduction to rock and later on I moved to heavier things. In my opinion they are the less "cheesier" culprits of the 80's hair metal hehehe, and excellent musicians who make fun records. They are outstanding live and will forever be in my top bands...yes, I m not ashamed!
No shame in that. I might have to pick at you if you had said Poison, but Jon has a nice voice and the band is loaded with good musicians. They worked their ass off to get where they are as well. They aren't one of my top favorites, but "Wanted dead or Alive" was a classic the day it was released. Great song there. One of my top guitarists was in a hair band, namely "the Italian Stallian" Vito Bratta from White Lion. The rest of the band wasn't that great, but his playing was absolutely incredible.

Bryant

Bryant said:
No shame in that. I might have to pick at you if you had said Poison, but Jon has a nice voice and the band is loaded with good musicians. They worked their ass off to get where they are as well. They aren't one of my top favorites, but "Wanted dead or Alive" was a classic the day it was released. Great song there. One of my top guitarists was in a hair band, namely "the Italian Stallian" Vito Bratta from White Lion. The rest of the band wasn't that great, but his playing was absolutely incredible.

Bryant

:tickled: I never liked Poison, they are a bit too "sissified" for my taste hahaha! Although I will admit to owning a "greatest hits compilation"..I do love my 80's hence it was necessary! Back to BJ, yes they are one of the few 80's bands that REALLY survived the 80's just because they are amazing musicians and they worked hard to get where they are at today, it doesn't hurt that they have a few classics under their belt as well ;) and they are also one of the few bands from that era that haven't really "changed their sound" hence keeping the true spirit of what Bon Jovi was and is today :)

Oh yeah, I remember White Lion, never was a big fan of them either...didn't know the guitarrist's name but now that I think about it they did have some cool guitar riffs :headbang:

dargormudshark said:
I agree, that album is great. The only song I don't care for on that album is "end of all days". Other than that songs like "Cold Wind","Scarlett Flowerfields","Healing Tree", and the title track. But all there albums are good. My first was Colour Temple. I remember when I first heard "Days of Thunder", another awesome song. I'd say if your'e looking for something heavy get "Far Off Grace". :headbang:

"Far Off Grace" was definitely their heaviest, but also had their best ballad too though in "I Don't Miss You." I like all of their releases, but "Nightwalker" and "Scarlet Flower Fields" from "Beyond Daylight" completely blow me away and are probably my faves.
Weren't those guys perfect on the harmony vocals too ? Those were the best backing vocals I have ever heard from any metal band. I thought Pagans Mind, Symphony X and Vanden Plas were about as perfect as bands could get at PPIV. Of course I have very high expectations from the mighty tad Morose.

Bryant

Bryant said:
"Far Off Grace" was definitely their heaviest, but also had their best ballad too though in "I Don't Miss You." I like all of their releases, but "Nightwalker" and "Scarlet Flower Fields" from "Beyond Daylight" completely blow me away and are probably my faves.
Weren't those guys perfect on the harmony vocals too ? Those were the best backing vocals I have ever heard from any metal band. I thought Pagans Mind, Symphony X and Vanden Plas were about as perfect as bands could get at PPIV. Of course I have very high expectations from the mighty tad Morose.

Bryant

Yeah, those were some awesome backing vocals. I also think Stephan Lill has the best guitar tone in the world, especially the solo for "Healing Tree".