Favorite Sounds of a Playground Fading Track

Favorite SOAPF Track

• Total voters

Final_Vision

This is Not an Exit
Oct 19, 2001
California
Well, all, we've had plenty of time to let the album sink in. I'm sure most of you have listened to it multiple times by now. Sound off on your favorite track!

You know it's "All for Me" ;)

Fear is the Weakness.

Every part of the song stands out. Fantastic intro and fantastic lead guitar work. Though for some reason, I really dislike that pre-chorus part (when Anders starts singing "Fear is the weakness in all of us, its sad to see you go...", or whatever), it sounds too happy and uplifting when compared to the vibe of the rest of the song.

Honorable mentions: The Puzzle, Where the Dead Ships Dwell, Ropes.

It was a toss between Darker Times, Fear is the Weakness, and the title track for me. I ended up going with Fear is the Weakness, because I really feel like the song has it all: great lead work, varied riffing and arrangement, an epic chorus, and so much more. Really a great song. I could have just as easily picked Darker Times, though....

Fear is the mother fucking weakness. That song is extremely fucking epic beyond proportion.

Fear Is The Weakness got my vote. However, Darker Times and Sounds Of A Playground Fading are close second.

I voted for The Puzzle, but Fear is the Weakness, A New Dawn and Liberation (yes, Liberation) are equally good.

I'm not going to vote because I don't think enough time has passed for me to say which song is my favorite. I can say that at the moment, it's probably A New Dawn or maybe "Fear is the mother fucking weakness" as Clay-Man so awesomely put it. Then I would say All For Me, Darker Times, and probably everything else is a real close second.

Definitely A New Dawn...the rest of the album pales in comparison to this epic track.

Epic vocals, epic lead, epic solo, epic drumming, epic orchestra...SpaceOne verdict: epic song.

A special mention to the title track though.

A New Dawn is cool but I honestly think it doesn't touch Fear Is The Weakness.

Where The Dead Ships Dwell gets a lot of points from me for being the most catchy while still being original. Great cleans by Anders.

I think the main reason I love A New Dawn so much is that it's the perfect climax song, with the whole album doing an amazing job of building up to it, and to me it's the most emotional. And then Anders still goes with the heaviest vocals of the album for it. Also, the "getting somewhere with no directions" scream is just phenomenal.

Ropes 1st, runners up are Where the Dead Ships Dwell in 2nd and A New Dawn in 3rd. I can listen to Ropes and WTDSD on repeat and not get bored, love them.

I think the main reason I love A New Dawn so much is that it's the perfect climax song, with the whole album doing an amazing job of building up to it, and to me it's the most emotional. And then Anders still goes with the heaviest vocals of the album for it. Also, the "getting somewhere with no directions" scream is just phenomenal.

Totally agree with all of this. You can tell that Jester's Door was the crossover point (very emotional) and the album gets bright and energetic with A New Dawn. Another reason I love the flow of this album.

Fear Is The Weakness for me... the best song they've done for a long, long time. There's a NBC-era Soilwork vibe about the song (nothing wrong with that I love NBC :D) and it has an epic sound which has been missing from In Flames songs since... well, Clayman really.

A New Dawn comes close, another outstanding track. There are a lot of songs on this album I really like.

Totally agree with all of this. You can tell that Jester's Door was the crossover point (very emotional) and the album gets bright and energetic with A New Dawn. Another reason I love the flow of this album.

It's funny that you mention the flow and Jester's Door coming before A New Dawn because I'm not convinced it's the perfect entry song for A New Dawn. It's just because of what Jester's Door is, and then how quickly A New Dawn starts into the main riff. But I'm not sure of what else would work before it, so I guess Jester's Door does work. If this makes any sense.

TJD is good intro for A New Dawn... And Liberation is nice, calm track to come after such a powerful song.

TJD is good intro for A New Dawn... And Liberation is nice, calm track to come after such a powerful song.

I just listened to the transition and I feel like A New Dawn might just start off too powerful and quickly, but maybe not because it kind of wakes you up and kicks you back into the album. Also, you're right, Liberation is perfect after A New Dawn, because A New Dawn already seems like the last song on the album, and then we get an epilogue/bonus song.