Favorite Sounds of a Playground Fading Track

Favorite SOAPF Track

• Total voters
Sorry to burst everyones bubble/to diss the second most voted best SOAPF track... but i don't see the appeal for Fear Is the Weakness?

It is actually my least favourite on the record. The beginning/ending riff is a Niclas Engelin riff for sure! I'm pretty sure he wrote those sections of the song, or otherwise he showed Bjorn how to play them, because they are signature Englin riffs! That isn't the reason i don't like the song... i'm just honestly wondering why everyone likes it so much?

Engelin had nothing to do with any of the music. And I like Fear is the Weakness so much because of the building intro with climbing synths. Then it kicks into the verse with clean guitars underneath and the heavy guitars going in and out matching the drums. Then there is the melodic solo after the chorus, and then right back into the verse, which is awesome because it goes from heavy to mainly clean guitars.

Engelin had nothing to do with any of the music. And I like Fear is the Weakness so much because of the building intro with climbing synths. Then it kicks into the verse with clean guitars underneath and the heavy guitars going in and out matching the drums. Then there is the melodic solo after the chorus, and then right back into the verse, which is awesome because it goes from heavy to mainly clean guitars.

I know for sure that Engelin wrote a couple of solos on the record ('guest appearances' i guess you'd call them). Darker Times perhaps, i'm not sure which tracks exactly. So why couldn't he have written a single riff? It sounds very, VERY similar to Every Sin Leaves a Mark by Engel. I can't imagine Bjorn writing Fear Is the Weakness's riff... it doesn't seem right in my mind.

Fear is the Weakness is probably my least favourite song on the album. For me it sounds alot like much of A Sense of Purpose. Much better than that, but still lacks any punch.

@ IntoPhagist, i have to agree The Puzzle is amazing. WTDSD didn't immediately appeal to me, but it's certainly growing on me. :D I still can't forgive the fact that they left out the full synth section from the Studio Diary videos though! :confused: Bjorn seemed to want to replace the keyboard section with calm, jangling guitar instead :zzz:

How do you know Engelin wrote some solos? And even if he did, it's been stated that Bjorn asked him to let him do it all on his own. So I'm pretty sure Bjorn wrote all the music.

I read it on one of those many interviews that were posted in the general discussion (probably one that we Google-translated). Yes, Bjorn wrote and arranged all the music but who's to say he didn't want a cheekey cameo from the new member? It clearly said Engelin wrote a guitar solo on the record. I just can't believe Bjorn wrote that riff in Fear is the Weakness. It's an Engel(in) riff!!

Thats what I said for the intro of Deliver Us. Reeks of Engel :) I would never guess that it is an IF song it it wasnt for Anders' voice.

I read all of those interviews and I don't remember it saying Engelin wrote anything. Also, someone just posted a new interview on another thread and it says the same thing, that Bjorn asked Niclas to let him do it all himself. But you could be right.

Could it be that Bjorn wrote that riff himself, just after he finished listening to the new Engel album? :D

hint: Every sin (leaves a mark)
:confused:

Thats what I said for the intro of Deliver Us. Reeks of Engel :) I would never guess that it is an IF song it it wasnt for Anders' voice.

Deliver Us may remind you of Engel... but Fear is the Weakness IS an Engel riff!!

Every Sin Leaves a MaaAAAAaarrrk! Dum Du-Dum Dum Du-Dum Dum Dum Dum-Dum-Dum-Dum-Dum! :devil:

Honestly i read somewhere that Engelin contributed a guitar solo to the record.

Wassup,

I'm a COB fan, also enjoy In Flames a lot,

Just gave a nightly listen to this album with good headphones. It seems to sound most 'real' In Flames I've heard, very natural / live'esque. I liked the single track most, it kicked in without the video, some nice drumming and vocals etc. I understand the choice for single. It must be the track that sinks in best with the first listen. Of course when you listen to this stuff till you're bored you start enjoying the deeper, less superficial tracks.

I didn't even care to check the previous album, it sounded so sell-out.

There's not much eternal material on this album however, songs that really kick ass... it sounds nice all the way, but the gems are rather scarce.

Btw, I couldn't help thinking about Where Dead Angels Lie, from one of the track titles.

Definitely A New Dawn. The first thing that caught my attention is the vocals. I don't know where Anders has been hiding this voice over the last 10 years but he sounds the best he has since Colony on this song.

In a way it's kind of frustrating that he doesn't use this voice more often. Then I start to wonder if any studio trickery was used to give his voice a deeper register. It's just strange how different he sounds. Either way, awesome song.

Nah, Anders can still do the lower register... he just doesn't prefer it, for whatever reason.

Here is a part of an interview that will settle the (possibly) dead debate of whether or not Engelin recorded anything on the album:

"Blistering.com: There is already some degree of familiarity with Niclas [Engelin] being that this is his second stint with the band. How is he fitting in this time out?

Anders: We've known him for the early days of the Gothenburg scene, even when I was in DARK TRANQUILLITY and he was in other bands. He's a very good friend. We spend more time off the stage than on the stage, so it's important we have someone that's on your level… whatever that might be. He fits in. I don't know what we would have done he had said no. [laughs] The transition from him to Jesper would have been so much harder. We were going on a tour around 2009, but a few days before we were flying away, Niclas had to step in and he learned the songs, spent many hours playing the songs. He's really been a savior. We decided to do the album without him — he didn't record anything."

I got the album yesterday, so I haven't had the chance to listen to the whole thing yet, but I love the title track, the single, where the dead ships dwell and fear is the weakness.