Status
Not open for further replies.

LORD_RED_DRAGON

New Metal Member
Feb 18, 2003
Gotham City
www.normalbobsmith.com
just like the favorite movies thread
explain what television shows you watch with explinations of why you like those shows

as the thread starter i think i should start
i watch the superman-as-a-teenager show Smallville
on other forums the people that say they watch the show are horny people that think the actors/actressess on the show look sexy
but the reason i watch the show is because the psychological element is done-up in a way that's more realistic than any other superhero show that's ever been done before (except the 90s x-men cartoon, the whole concept of the x-men was a kind of parody of the civil rights movement, the "mutants" represented blacks, professor X reperesented martin luthor king and the eternally re-occuring villian magneto represented malcolm x)

before superheros, comic books were comic-AL
the characters the Shadow, the Phantom, the Spirit, the Rocketeer, the Sub-mariner don't exist any more because those characters were specifically created for ADULTS

then the comics code authority got created for the specific purpose of taking out any sexual element and marketing violence toward children (this was a direct response to the creation of Playboy magazine in 1953)

after creation of the comics code authority, we see the creation of Superman (every superhero character that's still got current comics/tv shows)
the psychological element in smallville is more realistic almost entirely because american tv isn't cencored by religious-fanatics anymore
there is a sexual element present that kind of borders on "soap-opera-ish"
but seperate from the love lives/sex lives of the charachters (including kryptonian clark kent having sex with human females) every episode of the entire 1st season had guest characters with super powers where those episodes showed these "villian" characters as people, we saw them as people, we saw them accuire super-powers, we saw how power corupts and absolute power corupts absolutely, and we were able to see how real people would really act if given super-powers which allowed us to sympothize with the "villian" characters so much more so than anything the superhero genre has ever done before

Well I'll get my 2c in before a mod locks this, I don't think tv has quite the same philosophical elements as film:)

Scrubs by a mile. Cox, JD, Turk, The Todd, all gold.
First quote off the top of my head - “I don’t ever want to hear anything that’s come out of that man’s mouth, unless of course it’s “Oh my God, I’m dying, now I’m moving towards the light; but wait a minute, there’s been a mistake: this is hell - “Hello Hitler, hello Mussolini. Captain Kangaroo? That’s weird.”
:lol:

proglodite said:
Well I'll get my 2c in before a mod locks this, I don't think tv has quite the same philosophical elements as film:)

Scrubs by a mile. Cox, JD, Turk, The Todd, all gold.
First quote off the top of my head - “I don’t ever want to hear anything that’s come out of that man’s mouth, unless of course it’s “Oh my God, I’m dying, now I’m moving towards the light; but wait a minute, there’s been a mistake: this is hell - “Hello Hitler, hello Mussolini. Captain Kangaroo? That’s weird.”
:lol:
the show smallville is just as philosophical as any movie which i was trying to explain but i'm having computer problems with editing my first post

LORD_RED_DRAGON said:
just like the favorite movies thread
explain what television shows you watch with explinations of why you like those shows

as the thread starter i think i should start
i watch the superman-as-a-teenager show Smallville
on other forums the people that say they watch the show are horny people that think the actors/actressess on the show look sexy
but the reason i watch the show is because the psychological element is done-up in a way that's more realistic than any other superhero show that's ever been done before (except the 90s x-men cartoon, the whole concept of the x-men was a kind of parody of the civil rights movement, the "mutants" represented blacks, professor X reperesented martin luthor king and the eternally re-occuring villian magneto represented malcolm x)

before superheros, comic books were comic-AL
the characters the Shadow, the Phantom, the Spirit, the Rocketeer, the Sub-mariner don't exist any more because those characters were specifically created for ADULTS

then the comics code authority got created for the specific purpose of taking out any sexual element and marketing violence toward children (this was a direct response to the creation of Playboy magazine in 1953)

after creation of the comics code authority, we see the creation of Superman (every superhero character that's still got current comics/tv shows)
the psychological element in smallville is more realistic almost entirely because american tv isn't cencored by religious-fanatics anymore
there is a sexual element present that kind of borders on "soap-opera-ish"
but seperate from the love lives/sex lives of the charachters (including kryptonian clark kent having sex with human females) every episode of the entire 1st season had guest characters with super powers where those episodes showed these "villian" characters as people, we saw them as people, we saw them accuire super-powers, we saw how power corupts and absolute power corupts absolutely, and we were able to see how real people would really act if given super-powers which allowed us to sympothize with the "villian" characters so much more so than anything the superhero genre has ever done before
and the whole show focuses on how he can't tell anybody about his superpowers because he's afraid of having military scientists discect him to make an army of supersoldiers which i think is a fear that's in the minds of all of america's telepathics psychics telekinetics pyrokinetics and people that can talk to ghosts

LORD_RED_DRAGON said:
and the whole show focuses on how he can't tell anybody about his superpowers because he's afraid of having military scientists discect him to make an army of supersoldiers which i think is a fear that's in the minds of all of america's telepathics psychics telekinetics pyrokinetics and people that can talk to ghosts

yes, it's called delusional psychosis with paranoic highlights. In this instance, having a hero fares better than being without one.

Øjeblikket said:
yes, it's called delusional psychosis with paranoic highlights. In this instance, having a hero fares better than being without one.

And what would your diagnosis of LRD be Ojeblikket?

As for fave T.V. shows: Simpsons(Ive been watching since I was in third grade, and the show is still the only one that makes me laugh, and is relevant), the old Rod Serling Twilight Zone, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Nothern Exposure, X-Files, Seinfeld, Taxi, The Munsters, The Colbert Report, and Arrested Development--oh, and The Job, a short-lived show with Denis Leary about four years ago. T

1st
i was trying to get people to list drama/sci-fi shows instead of comedy shows

2nd
maybe philosophical was the wrong word to use to describe the show Smallville
pychological would be the best word
Smallville is definately a pychological show
it makes the viewers ask themselves the question "what would i do if i had superpowers?" (the 1st season a little more so than the others)
would you become power-crazy like american cops?
or would you make your own life fucked-up all to hell with your altruism like peter parker does when he puts on the spiderman mask? (which is the whole concept of the peter parker character, the thing that makes spiderman the most popular of marvel's characters)

firefly, curb your enthusiasm, (early) family guy, futurama, arrested development, the X files, any form of startrek, stargate, babylon 5, rab c nesbit, chewin the fat/still game, brimstone, scrubs, the mighty boosh, (1st series) little britain, the office (both versions), fawlty towers, black adder, bottom, malcolm in the middle (for the most part), friday night rock show (with tommy vance, before he past away - circa mid 90's), seinfeld, two guys and a girl, spiderman, x-men, dragonball z...

there are more. I rarely watch tv, so I find it bizarre that I have such a large list of favourite shows.

LORD_RED_DRAGON said:
the main character of smallville having this form of psychosis is what makes the show interesting

also
i totally expected speed to lock this thread the second he saw it

I still may. Well, since we allowed the Movies and pictures, and all the other stuff, I guess it would have been hypocritical to shut it down.

speed said:
Well, since we allowed the Movies I guess it would have been hypocritical to shut it down.
this thread has a lot of potential
there are episodes of the star-trek shows and stargete-sg1 and stargate-atlantis the pretender the profiler that are way more philisophical and psychological than anything they would ever show in a theatrically released movie

LORD_RED_DRAGON said:
there are episodes of the star-trek shows and stargete-sg1 and stargate-atlantis the pretender the profiler that are way more philisophical and psychological than anything they would ever show in a theatrically released movie

Oh good god. Its open for now...however.

LORD_RED_DRAGON said:
i guess the best example of what i'm talking about is the way that tv viewers sometimes develop addictions to specific drama tv shows like the pretender and the profiler instead of just tv in general because with drama shows like this the writers have the ability to make you care about the principal characters by making them seem like real people in a way that's just isn't really possible to do in a mere 2 hour movie and i guess this kind of explains how a group of people that knew me went to see the movie "Serenity" together without having ever seen the show "Firefly" and they just "couldn't get into it" (their words not mine) because they'd never seen the show

but i think maybe the reason Lord Red Dragon loves Smallville so much is quite possibly the exact same reason the hardcore fans of Lois & Clark [on Nevermoreboard] hate Smallville so much
before Smallville Superman was a character and Clark Kent was kind of a mask that Superman was wearing, Superman knew he was an extra-terrestrial and Clark Kent was his impersonation of how he percieved the human species
but in Smallville he learns he is an alien in the 1st episode and trough out the entire series he still thinks of himself as a human, he doesn't want the powers, he wants to be a normal human being, and his personal life gets fucked up all to hell because of his powers where the Clark Kent character has gone from being a mask to being Peter Parker [the secret identity of Marvel's Spiderman]
the other thing that makes it so hard for the Lois & Clark fans to watch is the "soap-opera" element that's in the show the whole show revolves around the cliche'd idea that "the person you're in love with and the person that's in love with you are never ever the same person"
and the had to kill off Clark's father [partially] because the scenes where Clark interacts with his parents sometimes get a little childish

Hmm.... TV shows? I don't really watch tv to much, but when I do, since I don't like to switch off Comedy Central, I like to watch alot of Stand Up Comedy, and The Daily Show w/ Jon Stewart, and The Colbert Report. I enjoy political comedy and satire alot, especially the way Comedians portray the world today.

Status
Not open for further replies.