favorite tv shows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ptah Khnemu said:
Hmm.... TV shows? I don't really watch tv to much, but when I do, since I don't like to switch off Comedy Central, I like to watch alot of Stand Up Comedy, and The Daily Show w/ Jon Stewart, and The Colbert Report. I enjoy political comedy and satire alot, especially the way Comedians portray the world today.
you like southpark?

The best seasons were the first 4 seasons. Seriously, what's better than "An Elephant Makes Love To A Pig"? There are some later episodes that were really good, but the jokes in those got really old really fast.

ARC150 said:
I leave the forum for a few weeks and you guys are talking about TV shows?!!?!? :heh:

Maybe I should close it. However, there are a few shows that are worthy of philosophical discussion: Im thinking Lost, Twin Peaks, The Twilight Zone, Northern Exposure, Simpsons, and the mindnumbing horror of reality shows.

So, on the subject, what does anyone think about Lost? I personally find it to be a wonderfully good show. Are they living a dream? Purgatory? An experiment?

They have a "Locke" and a "Rousseau"...I'm waiting for someone's last name to be Hobbes :D

In all seriousness, though...because of the way the plot advances, by jumping from one person's perspective/flashbacks to another's, I don't think the island can be a dream unless everyone "on" the island is having the same dream simultaneously. The idea of + 50 people collectively dreaming the same strange and at times illogical story line seems a bit farfetched.

Purgatory of sorts seems to me a more likely scenario. The only thing I can't figure out is, since "death" on the island would theoretically be a metaphor for leaving purgatory, what some of the people who have already died did to merit getting out. (I'd imagine it would have to be atonement for a sin in life, or learning of a particular lesson.) Yet a lot of the deaths seem due more to chance or mishap and don't really appear to follow any individual personal revelations. Specifically, the people who died en masse when the plane first crashed...unless of course they were there only to make the scenario "convincing" to the people still on the island, who if they're in purgatory obviously don't realize it. Same with Walt's dog...raises the question of purgatory for pets, haha.

It's definitely a great show, though :D

Anyone ever watched Harvey Birdman: Attourney at Law? A masterpiece from the good people at Adult Swim (Cartoon Network's sub network for more mature audiances). It's probably one of the most well written cartoons I've ever seen n my entire life. (Or at least IMO, it is.)

speed said:
Maybe I should close it. However, there are a few shows that are worthy of philosophical discussion: Im thinking Lost, Twin Peaks, The Twilight Zone, Northern Exposure, Simpsons, and the mindnumbing horror of reality shows.
i agree with what Dragon said a while back about how the mods should delete individual stupid posts instead of closing down entire threads and i'm glad this thread won't get closed

Ptah Khnemu said:
Anyone ever watched Harvey Birdman: Attourney at Law? A masterpiece from the good people at Adult Swim (Cartoon Network's sub network for more mature audiances). It's probably one of the most well written cartoons I've ever seen n my entire life. (Or at least IMO, it is.)

My mate loves that show; he's only shown me one episode - he introduced it as a comedy, I probably would have appreciated it more if approached as a cartoon...

Ptah Khnemu said:

Yea harvey birdman is funny as hell. I like Star Trek and Northern Exposure the most out of those listed. Northern exposure because its very original in its plot and star trek because its the best sci fi show ever.

Lost is a great programme.
I also enjoy the cooking programmes.Over here in Englad there is a programme called Gordon Ramseys F word which im a enjoying at the moment.Comedys are always great favorites include The Mighty Boosh and Black Books.

Presently I've been watching Deadwood on HBO. Great series in my opinion. Being a history buff I love historical drama. Rome was also a good show on HBO. Especially the last episode when the main character's wife commits suicide when he finds out she had a child with another man when she believed he had died. Quite a moral struggle there.

Status
Not open for further replies.