TV Shows

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
What TV shows to you watch on a regular basis? Or to just pass the time? I don't watch near as much TV as I used to, opting instead to listen to music, surf the web, or play video games. But these are the ones watch religiously:

The Practice
I was not a big fan of this show until this season. The addition of the awesome James Spader and the beautiful Rhona Mitra breathed new life into the stuck show. I'm glad they decided to get rid of the whiny (in the actual show) Dylan McDermott and Lara Flynn Boyle.

Seriously, if you have nothing to watch on Sunday nights at 9PM CST (don't know what time that is elsewhere), give The Practice a chance. The producers have pretty much let Spader control the show, giving him the most screen time. And it's not because he was a star before, it's because his character is so damn interesting. He's so interesting that ABC has decided to cancel The Practice after this season and make a spin-off based on Spader and his lust interest, Mitra.

If you like the anti-hero, you'll like Spader's character. He fights for the little guy, and in doing so, breaks the laws he has sworn to follow. He also finds redemption in helping people that can't help themselves, after being a greedy anti-trust lawyer. I love characters like this.

Still Standing
Even if this is Married With Children-lite, it still makes me laugh. The fat dad is hilarious to watch, and makes me wonder what kind of dad I'll be.

Those are really the only two shows I have to watch each week. Of course I watch King of Queens, American Idol (the fiance loves this show), Everybody Loves Raymond, and the many Law & Order's. But if I miss one of these shows, it won't bother me.

The only shows I watch repeats of are Married With Children and Seinfeld, two brilliant shows and two of the best ever made.

What do you watch? (I'm sure this will turn into a Shield and 24 thread, two shows I can't get into, but oh well)

The Simpsons
I watch at least 3 episodes a day. Bar none the most clever TV show there will ever be. You can tell a lot about someone's personality by how much they love / hate the Simpsons, it's very strange.

24, That 70s Show, and a few others I catch when I feel like it. I was pretty dedicated to 24 the first two seasons though.

I love US TV !!

I am currently watching Season III "24" - downloading via the net and up to episode 13 - where they crack the computer virus affecting CTU and the plane lands with Nina Myers - what a bitch. This season is turning out to be far-fetched but still brilliant as ever.

Other favourite shows that I watch religiously / own as DVD box sets

The Shield (Season I & II)
CSI & CSI MIAMI
Alias (Only seen Season I & II)
Law & Order - Which is a terrific show and very underated.
ER (New Season) - Just got into for the first time.

Law & Order is such garbage now it's not even funny. That was such a great show, and has clearly run out of ideas.

I forgot about both CSI shows (Vegas is far superior to Miami), though I never remember to watch them either. Great shows though.

I like CSI Miami better. David Caruso is more exciting than that guy in Vegas.

I agree that Law & Order has run out of ideas. Nowadays it seems they are just making episodes based on current events.

But how anyone can actually enjoy The OC is mind boggling. Did you also watch Dawsons Creek?

The X-files ruled. The last season or two started to kick ass again after a long lag period.

Dreamlord said:
I like CSI Miami better. David Caruso is more exciting than that guy in Vegas.
David Caruso can't carry Michael Peterson's jock. Not then, not now, not ever. Just an FYI.

But how anyone can actually enjoy The OC is mind boggling. Did you also watch Dawsons Creek?
Because it's mindless entertainment and all the women are H.O.T. No, I hated Dawson's Creek. And you're one to talk, since you don't "get" 24 or The Shield.

Hey, I haven't ever watched the OC, but you know the 'main' girl in it? She's the one who was being poisoned by her mother in The Sixth Sense. You know, puke girl in the tent....when she tries to look all sexy in the ads, all I can think about is her puking. :loco:

These shows are getting pretty racy. I caught a few moments of Everwood a couple of weeks ago, and it showed two teenagers making out, and the boy jizzing off too early before the girl could get the condom on! I was a bit shocked that it wasn't HBO!

I loved season 1 & 2 of 24, but gave up on this third season. It started way too slowly, and so I walked. I've yet to see The Shield, but Chief B forced me to watch the very first episode, and I have to admit, it was brilliant. I guess I should get season 1 on DVD, but I doubt if I'll ever have time to see it.

Otherwise no TV for me really, other than The Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Bill Maher, and Championship Boxing. I really only need HBO with all honesty. :)

Has anyone heard about this new show coming soon on FOX called "Swan"? It's probably going to be the worst of reality TV yet. Twelve women put themselves through complete makeovers (including head-to-toe cosmetic surgery)...and then they all compete in a beauty pageant against one another. Just an awful state of affairs if you ask me....

markgugs said:
David Caruso can't carry Michael Peterson's jock. Not then, not now, not ever. Just an FYI.
I just think Caruso is more engaging, and more fun to watch. Plus, it's hard not to like him when he spouts off every stupid cliche in the book.

Because it's mindless entertainment and all the women are H.O.T. No, I hated Dawson's Creek. And you're one to talk, since you don't "get" 24 or The Shield.
Yeah, it is mindless. A troublesome youth gets a second chance and goes to live with the rich folk. Riiiiiiiiiiiight.....

I am one to talk. I didn't say I don't "get" 24 or The Shield. It's not like there's anything below the surface. I said I can't "get into" them. There's a differences. They are just ho-hum shows to me. Although the Shield episode I saw was rather good, it just seems like a racier NYPD Blue.

aqua teen hunger force
sealab 2021
the brak show
CSI (vegas)
the simpsons (repeats everyday i always forget to watch the new one)
samuri jack (when they're not dicking with the schedule)

and southpark when i actually remember that they're on. id watch the family guy repeats too if i hadnt seen every episode like 83658569 times already. cartoons are teh win.

south park
family guy
chappelle show
i watched the first 2 weeks of ameircan idol
i watched the whole series of my big fat obnoxious fiance

NAD: not 3 weeks ago, i met MIKE REISS, writer/producer of the simpsons! seriously, this guy is one of the fuinniest motherfuckers in the world. if he were given free-reign on the show, it wouldn't be sucking like it is now.

That's fuckin' cool man. I don't really know if the show is sucking right now, since I rarely catch the new episodes. Still, even bad Simpsons is better than most other tripe out there.

Oh yeah, and Seinfeld was pure genius. That show was about 4 whiny people doing absolutely nothing, and it was hilarious. Are they on DVD yet? I should pick those up.

Q: What is an issue that will never be explored on The Simpsons?
A: Well, I have this idea... and I know it wouldn't work and I know we could never pull it off... but the premise is this: Bart and Milhouse get tired of Jimbo, Dolph and Kearney picking on them and come to school witha couple of sawed-off shotguns... eh, fuck it, nevermind!