Favourite Band

Well, it seems that Road Salt Two has hit Youtube.

I checked a few songs just to see what its like and it pretty much seems that if you liked part one you will like this one; however, I think this one has just a bit of potential to win maybe a few people over that didn't care for the first part. I think I may like it a bit more than part one myself as it seems there is a bit more uniqueness between each song, as in part one I felt most of the songs sounded a bit too much alike. The first track I heard sounded a lot like something from RSO; however, both of the next two tracks I heard were decently different.

Here is the third song I listened to to give you a taste. Listen while its still up as I don't think they will stay up much longer.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkquZgsvuyY&feature=related[/ame]

A lot of posts about Pain of Salvation here. Russell Allen said the following about them: Be – Dea Pecuniae “It has an atmosphere and energy similar to Frank Zappa...It can only be Pain of Salvation. We're gonna play with them within two days (7 June ), and they are excellent musicians and instrumentalists. I just don't like this side of the progressive genre, but it's obvious that it has a lot of quality. I liked Daniel's voice changes on this song.”

As for me, I don't like them. Just my opinion.

Thank you, Gentleman of the Snow, for posting that video of PoS's "Sisters." I've been in the market for some new CD's, since my fave band, SX, only releases one every four years or so, and I read these forum posts to get ideas of what to buy. Since I need a sample of the song longer than the fifteen seconds, or whatever it is, that Amazon provides, this post of the entire track is a much better help. Therefore, based on that post, I will NOT be buying Pain of Salvation, if this is considered one of the "best" tracks. I personally hated it. Is this metal? I certainly can't tell using this as an example. I'm with Russell on this one, I don't like this side of the genre either. I guess our butts smell alike.............LOL

It's not metal, in fact, their past two albums are not metal. But they're still interesting, the former more than the latter. I for one enjoy when bands diverge from the tried-and-true, but it's not for everyone.

Ahhh... let's take a moment to appreciate the beauty that is Sisters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J5JIGIbKqU

Maybe it's just me... but I don't get this song, or any of PoS, to be honest. It bores me to tears. I don't hear this supposed "emotion" that everyone raves about. I just hear weirdness.

Granted, the first Opeth song I heard was Face of Melinda, and it bored me to tears, too. But now Opeth is my second favorite band. So who knows...

Maybe it's just me... but I don't get this song, or any of PoS, to be honest. It bores me to tears. I don't hear this supposed "emotion" that everyone raves about. I just hear weirdness.

Granted, the first Opeth song I heard was Face of Melinda, and it bored me to tears, too. But now Opeth is my second favorite band. So who knows...

This song is purely about the vocal performance, and given that he is my favourite vocalist of all time, the song really stands out for me.

I find the emotion convincing.

My first album by Opeth was Damnation. Damnation is actually one of my least favourite Opeth albums... though I still like it a lot.
Ghost Reveries is what really hooked me. I picked it up, and as soon as Ghost of Perdition started, I was blown away. It was like nothing I'd ever heard before:
Weird note selection, haunting melodies, creative song structures, great contrasts, and a rhythm from hell, all topped off with an amazing production.

Oh, and Face of Melinda is amazing! Have you ever heard a drummer use brushes in a metal band before?!?! :p

Yeah, very boring band! The first time I've heard of them was when I listened to the project Genius Rock Opera by Danielle Liverani. I liked Gildenlow's voice so I checked the band, listened to some songs, but just couldn't get into their music.

Also, :58 hi-ho Kamelot, right down to that little accompanying flute motif.

After hearing it again, you're absolutely right!

This song is purely about the vocal performance, and given that he is my favourite vocalist of all time, the song really stands out for me.

I listened to it again, and I actually liked it a lot better the second time. There's definitely something there, but I still don't get it, I guess. It's very moody music, and most of the time I'm just not in the mood to enjoy it. My favorite parts are the ones where he is not singing, or singing very little. His voice seems so odd to me.

Is there any PoS stuff that doesn't sound like this? Something maybe a little more exciting?

Oh, and Face of Melinda is amazing! Have you ever heard a drummer use brushes in a metal band before?!?! :p

I think it's amazing now, of course! But years ago when I was trying to get into Opeth, this song put me to sleep until that cool riff came in towards the end. I went on for years not liking Opeth because of the death growlies, but one day it just clicked with me! I think it was actually Ghost Reveries that got me into them, too. Ghost of Perdition and Harlequin Forest are two of my favorite songs by them.

My favorite part of Face of Melinda is the fretless bass performance by Mendez. But yeah, the brushes are cool, too.

He seems like a great vocalist, though I admit I don't like the more nu-metalish parts in Pain of Salvation. The song just doesn't wow me for whatever reason. I don't think it has anything to do with it being bad, just taste.

I listened to it again, and I actually liked it a lot better the second time. There's definitely something there, but I still don't get it, I guess. It's very moody music, and most of the time I'm just not in the mood to enjoy it. My favorite parts are the ones where he is not singing, or singing very little. His voice seems so odd to me.

Is there any PoS stuff that doesn't sound like this? Something maybe a little more exciting?

To answer your question, they DO have a lot of heavy, and more energetic stuff, but they also have a lot (and I'd say more) mellow stuff. Every song is different, and I don't see you liking most, if not all, of their stuff, unless you buy into the more emotional type of prog. I'm leaning towards this style more every day. It takes a lot to impress me with the more technical, heavy stuff these days.

I've posted the first song before... but here it is again!
I'm not guaranteeing that you'll like it, but it's one of my favourite songs. It was released in '98.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjcQgmbSgg8&feature=related[/ame]

Just watched that Rullo vid, since I'm finally at home. It's great to finally see Rullo in action! What a great drummer!
I wonder why he plays the 4-note bass drum patterns at 1:25 or so, starting with his right foot.
Naturally, starting with the left would be preferred. |R x x L R L R x x L R L |R x x L R L R x x L R L |

No prob, man. I enjoy pimping the bands that I love, lol.

I feel like recording some drum videos now, but I'm sooo lazy... I'm still working on that Opeth MIDI too. I haven't forgotten. I am kind of stuck right now, and I don't have too much free time. I used to write every day, but now I can barely fit in an hour a week :(