Favourite Band

I can't stand growling. I mean, if one can ACTUALLY sing, why growl? It doesn't make much sense to me.

The question isn't why growl, it's why not. A lot of people can do it in ways that sound really good. If used in the right place, growling can make songs a lot more effective because it can create a more sinister atmosphere.

Nobody (that I know of) ever liked growling instantly. Keep an open mind and someday you'll probably come to enjoy it too.

'Tis true. I never used to like growls, but now I love 'em. It has nothing to do with compensating for the inability to sing; it's a choice.

When I think about it, it's very odd that so many people (or any at all) enjoy growling, though. On paper, it sounds like a terrible idea... but the application, in some cases, is great, IMO.

Yeah, nothing wrong with growls. They have their place. It allows you to create different atmospheres and sounds that just aren't possible with pure singing. The only vocal style I hate is the screaming that a lot of hardcore bands do. Nonsense like Converge. I mean if the words you're saying can't be deciphered, why even bother using them?

so is that a diss at Sigur Ros? Cause that's uncool. I think what matters is that the vocal instrument be used artfully, and not boring or half-assed. That applies to all styles.

Man 'o man! Where to start? I'm old (41 years old), so I'll limit it to the present. My current favorites, among many others, are...
* Symphony X (of course)
* Royal Hunt
* Dream Theater
* Transatlantic
* Machine Head
* Nile
* Opeth
* Strapping Young Lad
* Lamb Of God
* System Of A Down

Older stuff...
* Death
* Rush
* The Police
* Dokken
* Alice In Chains
* Testament
* Slayer
* Metallica
* Megadeth
* W.A.S.P.
* Pantera
* L.A. Guns

Also like guitar "virtuosos" such as Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Vinnie Moore, Joe Satriani, Michael Angelo Batio, etc.

The question isn't why growl, it's why not. A lot of people can do it in ways that sound really good. If used in the right place, growling can make songs a lot more effective because it can create a more sinister atmosphere.

Nobody (that I know of) ever liked growling instantly. Keep an open mind and someday you'll probably come to enjoy it too.

Well, I actually like some harsh vocals, but something similar to what Hansi Kürsch, Russell Allen or Nils Patrik Johansson do. They use harsh vocals to add ‘flavour’ to their voices, but a whole album of growling is too much to me. I’ve been listening to metal for about 28 years now, and it seems there are some things I can’t get into. Maybe the old saying is correct “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks.” :lol:

Does anyone like Cult of Luna? I just got into the Eternal Kingdom album, and I'm starting to like it very much. I hate the singing, but the music is VERY cool! So if you do like Cult of Luna can you recommend any other albums?

I find this to be the most logical explanation. The overly male metal fan base is easily distracted by boobs, and many female metal fans may respect these vocalists for fronting a band in a genre of music typically fronted by males.

I enjoy a few female-fronted metal bands, but after a while it all starts to sound the same.

The chick from Virus IV has a great voice though the album itself most of the songs are kinda lame but i like her voice !!, she sang a little bit on Ayreon 01011001 , find her a good band please!!! lol

some questions and some news for you :
Is it true that last Lacuna Coil's cd is going pretty good on US charts?

Unfortunately Marillion's keyboard player Mark kelly is suffering from a great
hearing loss. I wish you all the best ,Mark

One good guest for last Ayreon's cd as a video preview in his site he invited
Ruter Hauer for some spoken parts

Russell Allen: "I’m not really a prog guy, I’m in a prog band but I’m just a rock, power metal singer that’s in a progressive metal band. I never try to be like the other prog singers, the very theatrical thing is not really my cup of tea. I like it here and there but I’m very passionate and aggressive, no holds barred what you see is what you get kinda guy, so I sing like that. Rock is better suited for my character and my personality and I bring that to Symphony X, that’s my job if people want to call it that *laughs*. So to do this other thing in rock is I guess a vindication in a way to validate my influences and validate my upbringing because that’s what I came up on. I didn’t come up listening to Yes, I love Yes but I didn’t grow up on that. I came up on Van Halen and Led Zeppellin and Metallica and Priest and Maiden and I’m into that. That’s what I come from. I respect and love Rush and all the prog bands that have influenced Symphony X – Kansas is a really good band that I like alot but I’m not really into that sort of music to listen to, I’ve told people this over the years and they’re always shocked by that, but it’s the truth. That’s what I bring to Symphony X, I’m bringing a rock singer to a progressive metal band."

http://www.rocksins.com/2012/02/symphony-x-russell-allen-interview-2012-part-1-14168/