Favourite Ozzy album?

I agree Gillis is far from a hack. That said I think the best guitarist Ozzy had was Jake his playing was the highlight on The Ultimate Sin. I was never a big Rhoads fans myself.... I know many arn't thrilled with Speak OF The Devil but Gillis' perfomance on that is stellar. As with the MTV concert that aired back in the early 80's....

plus brad said he had about a week or so to learn the songs

Bark at the Moon. The title track is my favourite Ozzy song, and 'Waiting for Darkness' is an incredible closing track. 'Centre of Eternity', 'Spiders' and 'You're No Different' are also great songs. I agree with a few here that Jake was Ozzy's best guitarist. Criminally underrated.

Other albums of note are The Ultimate Sin and Blizzard of Ozz. Not too keen on Zakk era stuff, though I don't mind Ozzmosis.

i would have to say Blizzard of Ozz

i read somewhere Ozzy feels he hasn't recorded "his SGT. Pepper Yet"

for me i think he recorded it right out of the gate with Blizzard

He does? I didn´t recall it, I recall George Lynch collaboration. I must check my copy of the album back home.
Love that album, was my first MacAlpine record and still hold it as one of his best up to this day.

Yup. Lynch plays on the songs Tears of Sahara, and The Vision. Jeff Watson plays on The King's Cup.

He does? I didn´t recall it, I recall George Lynch collaboration. I must check my copy of the album back home.
Love that album, was my first MacAlpine record and still hold it as one of his best up to this day.

Track 6...The King's Cup. It is the best Macalpine album for sure. I have a few others by him. At one time I had a cassette of the Project-Driver album, with Sarzo, Macalpine, and I forget who else. But, it was an all star line-up. I saw him a few years ago, helping out Steve Vai on the G3 tour. One of my top 20 favorite guitarists, for sure. Have you ever listened to his jazzier stuff? He can do it all!

I could make a case for Edge of Insanity being the best one, but it's splitting hairs. Billy Sheehan and Steve Smith (Journey) wail on that album, but I have no problem giving the nod to Maximum Security either (the songs with Lynch are god-like). I have those 2 and Project Driver on both vinyl and cd, and all 3 albums kick ass. The other 2 musicians on Driver were Tommy Aldridge and Rob Rock (Impellitteri).

I can't believe the lack of LOVE for the early Ozzy albums on this thread. To me, hands down, Diary of a Madman is the best album Ozzy ever did and probably one of the top 10 albums of all time in my hallowed halls. Blizzard is second, followed by No More Tears for me.

Track 6...The King's Cup. It is the best Macalpine album for sure. I have a few others by him. At one time I had a cassette of the Project-Driver album, with Sarzo, Macalpine, and I forget who else. But, it was an all star line-up. I saw him a few years ago, helping out Steve Vai on the G3 tour. One of my top 20 favorite guitarists, for sure. Have you ever listened to his jazzier stuff? He can do it all!

You're right. I'm a huge fan of Tony I have all his solo albums, his CAB project albums, the stuff with Planet X and Ring Of Fire as well as The Devil's Slingshot album. I saw him too at the G3 tour, I wished he had been the third guitar instead of Yngwie eho put a very mediocre show. The "Project: Driver" album is IMO his weakest effort despise the line-up.

I can't believe the lack of LOVE for the early Ozzy albums on this thread. To me, hands down, Diary of a Madman is the best album Ozzy ever did and probably one of the top 10 albums of all time in my hallowed halls. Blizzard is second, followed by No More Tears for me.

I dunno....Randy died right before I turned 14 years old and I barely had a clue who Ozzy or Randy were until a few months later. Don't get me wrong, I like those albums a lot, but most of the good tracks are played out beyond belief....and other than the title track, I've never cared for the "2nd side" of Diary.

For me personally, I've never been a huge fan of Ozzy's voice and I was just able to identify more with Jake's guitar playing. Please note I am not trying to take anything away from Randy, he is just not one of my favorites.

Zakk was a Randy ripoff from day 1, and I was never able to respect that. Yes, he had his moments, but to this day nothing tops Jake's guitar playing on those 2 albums, IMO. In spite of my lack of love for Ozzy's voice, The Ultimate Sin is probably one of my top 25 albums ever.

You're right. I'm a huge fan of Tony I have all his solo albums, his CAB project albums, the stuff with Planet X and Ring Of Fire as well as The Devil's Slingshot album. I saw him too at the G3 tour, I wished he had been the third guitar instead of Yngwie eho put a very mediocre show. The "Project: Driver" album is IMO his weakest effort despise the line-up.

I downloaded the Ring of Fire stuff and thought it left a lot to be desired. I thought the vocals were horrid. At the very least, you have to admit that Driver is better than Eyes of the World and/or Violent Machine. :err:

I saw G3 too. The 4 second solo he did in one song made me jump out of my seat. Too bad he didn't get more guitar playing time.

have you even heard brad gillis play guitar :Smug:
Yah, I have considering I'm a old fogey almost pushing 40. Heard his work in both the Ozzy live album Speak of the Devil and his Night Ranger work. Nothing that impresses me. He's adequate but he's no RR or Jake. And as someone else said Jeff Watson in NR is better. BG played at the reception when Ozzy Married Sharon but don't know what he played. On another note George Lynch was considered for the guitar spot sometime after RR died. That would of been interesting.

Yah, I have considering I'm a old fogey almost pushing 40. Heard his work in both the Ozzy live album Speak of the Devil and his Night Ranger work. Nothing that impresses me. He's adequate but he's no RR or Jake. And as someone else said Jeff Watson in NR is better. BG played at the reception when Ozzy Married Sharon but don't know what he played. On another note George Lynch was considered for the guitar spot sometime after RR died. That would of been interesting.

lynch was after gillis i believe. gillis turned down the job then lynch did something stupid (can't remember what) and then lee got it

oh yeah:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iNYN6F5Wwo&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOjBZgSqyVE&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sOrdys9-n0&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Diary and Blizzard are pretty much tied for me. The Ultimate Sin is at a close second because the songs are so catchy and I think of a lot of fond memories while listening to it.

I could make a case for Edge of Insanity being the best one, but it's splitting hairs. Billy Sheehan and Steve Smith (Journey) wail on that album, but I have no problem giving the nod to Maximum Security either (the songs with Lynch are god-like). I have those 2 and Project Driver on both vinyl and cd, and all 3 albums kick ass. The other 2 musicians on Driver were Tommy Aldridge and Rob Rock (Impellitteri).

Yes, ok, thanks. As I said, I had the album on cassette at one time, but I made the mistake of lending it to a friend who "misplaced" it. People can't believe that's Steve Smith from Journey when I tell them that's him. I almost forgot, remember the band "Macalpine", with the album Eye of the World, where they tried to make him more commercial friendly. It couldn't have been his idea, because he didn't do another album, and went back to just playing his ass off. I made sure at that G3 show, when Steve introduced Tony M, that I made a lot of noise. It was cool that I wasn't entirely alone in this: about 30-40 others in the crowd made some big noise too.

remember the band "Macalpine", with the album Eye of the World, where they tried to make him more commercial friendly. It couldn't have been his idea, because he didn't do another album

yeah, I mentioned it in a previous post. What a bad idea!!

A few years ago I actually discovered another album - Violent Machine (1996) - which I think has some vocals on it. Not good.....

I always remember the acronym M.A.R.S. for the Project: Driver thing, helps to remember the musicians. :)

Yeah, the vocals on Violent Machine is TM himself. I forgot who else was on it, because it was 10+ years ago, that I had that album.
It's unbelievable how he's better than the G3 guys, and so many other guitarist's out there, and well known in the undergruond, yet he's never been on a bigger tour, supporting a bigger act. If his album's would have just been on a better promoting label, I think it would have been better for him.

I downloaded the Ring of Fire stuff and thought it left a lot to be desired. I thought the vocals were horrid. At the very least, you have to admit that Driver is better than Eyes of the World and/or Violent Machine. :err:

I agree that ROF left a lot to be desired considering it is a Mark Boals porject, but for some reason it is too tamed (as well as Bolas solo abums with MacAlpine).

As for PD I will have to disagree. EOTW is very commercial indeed but have a couple of good solid songs that I like more than the whole PD album. And as for VM, sorry man but you're lost, it's one of the best MacAlpine albums, the vocalist he picked is damn good and the songs are great. I managed to get the Japanese version new for mere $13 at the time.
Yeah, the vocals on Violent Machine is TM himself. I forgot who else was on it, because it was 10+ years ago, that I had that album.

Wrong. In "Violent Machine"the vocals in 'Hatred To Love', 'Little Gem' and 'Out Of Touch' are by Jerome Jones (bass Ricky Ricardo, drums Mike Terrana). Tony sung in "Master Of Paradise" an album that suffered greatly from bad production (and even was recalled, I kept my copy, just pump up the volume) and in which Tony's vocals also didn't help to establish much magic, still I like it better than "Project: Driver"

I made sure at that G3 show, when Steve introduced Tony M, that I made a lot of noise.

I did the same :headbang:

I will always like Driver much better than EOTW, but to each his own....I also only stumbled on VM a few years ago....so I didn't study it. Once I heard the vocals I pretty much dismissed it based on EOTW. I will definitely revisit both on your recommendation.

for the record, Brad Gillis is awesome. He can keep up with Watson for the most part. They have a bunch of duel leads where they are both smokin'!!

Heh heh....turned into a Macalpine thread....my mistake, Wyvern, about Tony singing on VM. I still have to get that one, along with the CAB albums.