Favourite Snare Drums? (NOT Samples!)

Trevoire520

Mar 24, 2007
Fife, Scotland
Looking to pick up a new snare drum and figured I'd see what you guys are liking these days?

Got my eye on either a Pork Pie BOB or the Worldmax Brass (which from what I've read are basically the same drum)

Anything particularly impressive been through your studio's as of late?

I have 8 different snare drums in my collection and the one I use the most is a Ludwig Supraphonic 5x14". It's a vintage model from -72 but the current ones are just as good. I've worked with the 6.5x14" version as well and it's great too.

Black Beauty is an excellent snare for sure, just very expensive. Black Magic is a good substitution, but the Tama mentioned above would also do a great job for a brass. I haven't used that particular model but I have one from an earlier series and it's one of the best brass snares I've heard.

If I could keep only one snare, it would be the Supra. Second after that would be a brass model, and third would be any kind of wood snare. With these three variants in your rig, you will have enough to cover a lot of ground. But definitely Supra first. :)

Chances are you've seen this already, so maybe it's just a reminder that that Sonor Steve Smith Cast Steel is fucking epic ;)

Lately I've been take by surprise by a cheap Tama Metal Works. No idea which one exactly though. But was really nice considering it was below 200eur.

edit: how about posting the link as well dumbass :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_k7zsvAlpA

I own a Tama bell brass 14x6.5 from 1980. pretty much the holy grail of snares.
"bell brass" is a mistranslation and/or marketing name for cast bronze fwiw.
sounds better than anything else to me. super loud, super punchy, and super versatile. the price is pretty ridiculous though. ~$3,000

also got a drumcraft clone of the above, but the bronze is twice the thickness so it sounds a little different. more round and a little less crack. these seem to go used for VERY cheap. I paid $450 when the retail is $999 here and my friend forum member Ionei got his for $350. highly recommend this drum because it's very similar to the tama but without the pricetag

my 14x8 maple snare is pretty fat and versatile, but the previous two I mentioned generally beat it most times
my tama starclassic birch/bubinga is a killer drum with a unique sound. very bright and crispy but again, the cast bronze snares are typically the winners

my gigging snare is a pearl joey jordison snare that I got for $60 and modified a little. GREAT snare especially considering the price difference between it and the others I own whilst not sounding any less pro.

re:black magic snares - they sound weird in my experience. cant get them to sound good unless cranked.. the real black beauty is MUCH better

basically for recording purposes, I recommend a cast bronze snare of some sort and/or a black beauty in 14x6.5" and you'll be pretty much set 95% of the time.

The one Lars used on St Anger.

k2-_8a719131-8cf9-4423-b257-69c768e43202.v1.jpg

:D

Lately I've been take by surprise by a cheap Tama Metal Works. No idea which one exactly though. But was really nice considering it was below 200eur.

I've got two of them actually, the 14x5.5" which see's a bit of use (though I wish it was a 6.5") and a 12x4" which is pretty cool, great for blasting on and just used it for a funk session a couple of weeks ago and it was perfect for that.

Also got a 14x6.5" MBP Walnut, though it can be a bit dry tbh and doesn't tune high very well.

Anyone have any thoughts of 14x6.5" vs 13x7"? I've seen a couple of the Worldmax snares in a 13x7" and wondering how it would compare?

I own a Tama bell brass 14x6.5 from 1980.

Lucky! That is one hell of a drum. Definitely one of the best, if not the best.

Another one I love that my old drummer had was a Tama 3.5×12 hand hammered steel piccolo snare. That thing would cut through the mix and had some serious crack to it.

He'd laugh because when we played smaller gigs, he could see the people in the front wince every time he'd hit that snare. Ha, love it!