Tuuletar

Amokala
Dec 16, 2012
Finland
wolverica.deviantart.com
So, what are your favourites (and why)?

My own top three could be:

Brother Moon
- My all-time favourite by this band. I like the catchy, folkish melody and these nature-inspired lyrics. Besides this song made me finally fall in love with this band. ;)

The Orphan
- Quite a moody song, I like the atmosphere of this one as well. Melodic guitar solo is the highlight and always sticks in my mind.

Song of the Sage
- To me this is the best song from The Beginning of Times. I like the versatility of this song and also flutes are nice addition. Again I like the lyrics as well.

When it comes to the favourite albums, it's still hard to pick between Skyforger and Elegy. To me they are the most powerful entireties and have great, inspiring atmosphere. :)

My favorite song from the current lineup's era is probably Skyforger as it encapsulates for me all the things about band that no one else can come close to touching in the blending of progressive arrangements, epic themes and sheer metal grandeur.

Early stuff, I really love both Magic and Mayhem and Song of the Troubled One. For quieter moments in the early days it's either Elegy or My Kantele (acoustic reprise).

Middle era -- probably Withered or Alone.

Don't even make me choose between Silent Waters and Skyforger for favorite album. I like each for different reason. Older stuff it's either Elegy or Tuonela depending on the mood.

Ah, crap...you asked us to give reasons why they are our favorites as well. M&M and SotTO both have that driving Opu groove on the bottom and the intricate folk-inspired keyboard/guitar lines that counterpoint the growls. Classic Amorphis recipe for tasty goodness. Withered has some of that same groove going for it but with the added sophistication of the jazz/prog elements.

Alone...I just like the overall sentiment of the song. Stand up, indeed.

Silent Waters and Skyforger I love the way they capture the magic and atmosphere of those particular stories in the Kalevala. I think Sande was in his top songwriting form on SW and Esa his current era top on Skyforger.

My favourites depends on my mood, what another bands I listen at the season, day even a time of the day.

I'm afraid I don´t give explanations to you, because my vocabulary is too concise.

Favourites at the moment
* My Sun
* Summer´s end
* Her alone

Long term favourites
* Into Hiding
* My Enemy
* Majestic Beast
* Magic and Mayhem
* Black Winter Day
* Vulgar Necrolatry
* The Smoke
* Alone
* Cares

And I really can't say my favourite album. It also depend on such a so many things.

My favorite album is Skyforger, because it was the soundtrack to the happiest year of my life. Plus, it's the only album I learned to play in ~95% detail on guitar (the ten regular tracks in particular - working short hours at the time because of the financial crisis helped matters), which makes for a pretty intense relationship, so to speak. Other all-time favorites are Elegy and Eclipse, with the other two Joutsen-era albums following closely.

As for individual songs, my personal #1 is Separated, even though it is "only" a bonus/B-track with practically no chance of ever being played live. Until then, my favorite was Brother Moon, which I still love very much, too. Of the most recent stuff I'd pick Soothsayer and Song Of The Sage, and from the old days Tuonela, Nightfall, The Way, Forgotten Sunrise and pretty much anything on Elegy, although I prefer the current incarnation of My Kantele to both Elegy versions. That song, to me, is THE essential Amorphis song, never mind HOS, BWD and Alone being the bigger hits.

I would love Amorphis to re-record Elegy with Tomi J doing all the vocals, usually I am against such things, but in this case I think it would be an improvement.
Favourite songs, tough choice, so many good ones to choose from, but generally from the current era, I prefer the clean/growled songs that mix the vocals up.
Albums, Elegy, Tuonela, Skyforger never clicked with me and is my least liked.

I would love Amorphis to re-record Elegy with Tomi J doing all the vocals

Couldn't agree more! :worship:

It's one of my favourite Amorphis albums, even sung by Pasi, but Tomi J. would be a vast improvement of this otherwise great album.

Many songs differ from time to time when I'm naming all-time favourite songs, but "My Kantele" and "Under a Soil and Black Stone" tend to stick. My favourite album is Skyforger.

Weeper on the Shore
Elegy
The Way

Elegy would have to be my favorite album. It's one of those albums that just takes you back to a certain place and time. I listen to it and I immediately go back about 8-9 years ago when my friend first put it on in his car. Snowy night in January of course. I could put it on in July and I'd still go back to that place.

And I wouldn't alter anything on Elegy. Personally, I find the Tomi-era Amorphis very hard to get into. The darkness of this band is no longer there. I don't know if it's Tomi's voice or the music or maybe both. I'm actually listening to some songs off The Beginning of Times right now and I think it is his voice that bugs me. A little too dramatic for my tastes.

Alone is always great. But the most important song for me is Reformation. It helped and made easier my pain in life when I had very difficult time perioid.

Alone is always great.

Speaking of which... Am Universum, as well as Tuonela, is to be re-released on vinyl, both with gatefold covers (the original vinyl edition of Tuonela was a picture disc with no proper jacket at all) and limited to 500 pcs each.
Levykauppa Äx promises them to be in store by March 22 - according to the Floga Records site, the release date is February 28, but waiting for them to arrive in Finnish shops seems to be a safer option than ordering from Greece.

Not sure if I'm gonna buy another Am U, it's never been one of my favorite albums and it's certainly not one I'd buy because of the artwork (which is my main reason for favoring vinyl over CDs). Tuonela is a different matter, though, I'm actually quite looking forward to finally get an LP version with a proper cover.

Think I'm one of the few people I know who has no nostalgia for vinyl. The only time I prefer vinyl to CD is when there is a problem with the A/D transfer and that's not a fault of the medium, but one of the conversion method. I like the bigger artwork, sure, but I can have that without the LP.

Guess my sense of romance is hopelessly stunted.

That said, I do love me some Tuonela and think Am U is a testament to Amo's musical diversity and breadth of talent even if it is not a frequent listen for me.

Well, for me it's not nostalgia because I never really "switched to CD" in the first place. I started collecting music in the spring of 1984, and later that same year the first CDs started to appear at the local record shop. To me they looked kind of stupid, and at the time they cost a full third more than the vinyl equivalent. My monthly allowance at age 12 was pretty meagre, so there was another strong argument, particularly since I also would have needed an expensive new player, whereas a vinyl player was readily around the house (in fact two of them). I didn't have a CD player until 1993, and that was a little discman I got as a present. By that time I had started to buy the occasional CD for the obvious reason - not everything was available on vinyl anymore. But even then I managed to get most of my stuff on LP, and nowadays it's almost the norm again to release new stuff on both formats, at least in Finland but elsewhere as well. Just bought the new Riverside today - the earlier ones I only found on CD at the time they came out, but this one was available on vinyl right away. [Oh, and DOES my cat love the protective plastic wrapping it came in... :p ].

That said, I have also learned to appreciate the practical side of the CD, particularly in comparison to a double vinyl album. Ain't nothin' that ain't good for somethin'. But that notwithstanding, the CD has never been more than a secondary format for me.

I wonder does musicians even know how much their songs or performances help people and make people happy, drag off a desperation and so on.

Favourite album:

ECLIPSE - Imho it's the greatest album ever made by man,
it's holy and perfect in any ways and has great meaning for me.
I can't even try to pick my favourite song since all the songs on
Eclipse are perfect.

I have grown to the man I am listening Eclipse and I can say it's
the soundtrack to my life. What makes it so perfect, are the memories
of spring and summer and all the great moments I have lived listening to
that album.

What made me to fall in love in the first place was Tomi J's
voice and attitude. Those death growls, clean and harsh vocals..
I mean why in the name of Kalevala Tomi doesn't make those harsh vocals
anymore??

Also here is the greatest live ever ------------------------------------------->

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuMH9CpZyL8&playnext=1&list=PL0E7FF444F051D8CC&feature=results_video[/ame]