Favourite song/album of Amorphis

Translation is so hard to do well, and it's hard to tell which difficulties are due to language problems and which are due to cultural differences that defy translation.

Yeah, that's what I feared, because although I spent my youth in Germany, I haven't lived there in two decades and am naturally out of touch with how kids there speak today. I've been a professional translator since the 1990s, but 99% of jobs have nothing to do with colloquial language. I'm totally aware of this and asked the German proofreader to make updates as she pleased, but in the end she didn't change much, because on the other hand it might sound even more artificial if men of my age all of a sudden spoke like twenty-year-olds. But it's always a tightrope walk, and of course a matter of taste.

Alright... This is me not getting until now, that you are the translator. *fansself*

I really hope I didn't offend you in any way b/c that was not my intention. I do realize that this must've been a shitload of work and I do appreciate it. Like I said in my first post I liked the book and I am still chuckling over some passages.

Reactions: Eurynome
I really hope I didn't offend you in any way b/c that was not my intention.

Haha, of course not, don't worry! :D As I said, I was totally aware of the issue, and anyone afraid of an honest and justified opinion should not be out there publishing stuff in the first place. ;) No translation is ever perfect (but then again, what's perfect in this world anyway?) but on the whole I'm pretty satisfied with the book, and not least so because there's also a lot of my photos in it. Good to know I didn't take them in vain through all those years...

Reactions: tuonelan
This is an impossible task (Tomi thinks so too, see avatar XD).

As for albums, I think it's Circle. It's a tough choice between Circle, Skyforger, Under The Red Cloud and Silent Waters, but there's just something about Circle that makes it special.
Maybe it's because Tomi's voice is on fire on this album, maybe it's because I saw and love the Circle Rockumentary, maybe it's because the concept of this album speaks to me, maybe it's because it's just a collection of kick-ass songs. You pick one, they're all true.

Favourite song? I can't possibly just pick one, but my favourite song for the moment is Nightbird's Song.

This is an impossible task (Tomi thinks so too, see avatar XD).

As for albums, I think it's Circle. It's a tough choice between Circle, Skyforger, Under The Red Cloud and Silent Waters, but there's just something about Circle that makes it special.

Agreed, 'Circle' is an amazing album. It's certainly an inspired album with a great injection of emotional songwriting. I wouldn't class it as my favourite Amorphis album, and I don't think it beats 'Under the Red Sun' (see my list on the previous page), but damn is it a great album.