Favourite song/album of Amorphis

Um...he does?
Well, listening to the new stuff that was played on Tangra a week ago really made me feel a bit worried in that respect. Only three songs with death growls?
Surprised.gif
I hope that wasn't the whole story, much as I do love Tomi's clean singing.

Um...he does?

He does, but his vocals were on another level in songs
like Two Moons, Leaves Scar, Empty Opening or Weaving The Incantation.
There is still some great "harsh" moments in Higest Star (at least the chorus and outro)
and in Skyforger, but not at all on their latest album.

On Eclipse every word, every sound Tomi makes, has power in it, whereas there is a lot boring vocals
on Beginning (like Three Words, On A Stranded Shore, Escape, Mermaid)

But don't take this the wrong way, it's just my opinion. And actually
I'm really looking forward to Circle since what I have heard, Tomi J has
developed his vocals to better. A lot better in fact.

Here's how I name Tomi's vocals:

Clean vocals = Silver Bride, House of Sleep, You I need etc.
Harsh vocals = Two Moons, Leaves Scar, Born From Fire etc.
Growling vocals = Perkele, Majestic Beast, My Enemy etc.
Whimp vocals = Highest Star (verse), Course of Fate (chorus) etc.
Boring/ normal/dull/ pop vocals = Escape (verse), Mermaid (verse), Heart's Song etc.

Only three songs with death growls?

True, but those songs were heavy and black and amazing as fuck.
And I think Tomi's clean vocals sounds so much better,
more emotional and powerful than on previous albums.

Maybe that's because Hietala wasn't there to keep
Tomi in chains? Joke.

Or not.

True, but those songs were heavy and black and amazing as fuck.
Amen, brother. :devil: Well, for me the guitars have always been the main focus, and in that respect I have no worries whatsoever this time. The last album had its great moments, but compared to Skyforger and Eclipse in particular, they were few and far between, or buried to the degree of obscurity. (Am I the only one who feels infuriated by how far the lead guitar is mixed down in the chorus of TBOT's title track? Don't think I'l ever get used to it, even after two years it still sounds like a mixing error to me every time...)

Here's how I name Tomi's vocals:

Clean vocals = Silver Bride, House of Sleep, You I need etc.
Harsh vocals = Two Moons, Leaves Scar, Born From Fire etc.
Growling vocals = Perkele, Majestic Beast, My Enemy etc.
Whimp vocals = Highest Star (verse), Course of Fate (chorus) etc.
Boring/ normal/dull/ pop vocals = Escape (verse), Mermaid (verse), Heart's Song etc.

Okay, I get it now. And I guess, the way you put it, I agree.

I think the reason that the vocals on Eclipse sounded the way they did was not so much a stylistic choice on the part of the guys, but the fact that our Mr. Joutsen could not deliver a vocal performance like Highest Star at that point. He had a great instrument, but did not have the range of control over it that he does now. He could sing clean, gritty, or growl, but he couldn't move any of those around from chest to head and make them 'wet' or 'dry' with reverb the way that he can now. On Eclipse he was singing the other guys' songs. Since then, more and more, the other guys are writing songs for him to sing.

I think this next album will be a big marker for Tomi J because he's owning the vocals in a way he never has before. No more taking suggestions from Marco H. on what vocal lines he should sing. Here we'll get to hear more Tomi than ever before, (unless you count Sinisthra).

well,it's very difficult,but..

into hiding
the castaway
better unborn
against widows
summer's end
brother moon
weaving the incantation
her alone
majestic beast
soothsayer
goddes (of the sad man)
born from fire
seperated

After Circle album was released it has begun almost impossible to even make a list of the best songs of Amorphis. So I guess I "suffer" my destiny and love them all :D One little point tho, I would like to have more growl in Circle album. Ah a whining started immediately, bad me.

One little point tho, I would like to have more growl in Circle album.
If my review had been about an extended version of the album with the bonus tracks, it would have turned out noticeably better. Of course 71 minutes would have been too long for a regular album and only works for die-hard fans (or maybe just for ain't-gonna-die-no-matter-how-you-try-fans like me), but if the growl/clean ratio had been a bit more balanced on the official version, it would have been a better album. Now the guitars promise more than the vocals keep - don't know how to say it better, but listen to Hopeless Days & you'll know what I mean.

Trying to adopt a long-term perspective - if on my 50th birthday party I'm supposed to give the DJ a list with my Top 20 Amorphis songs to choose from in the course of the night, at least Nightbird's Song is rather certain to be included, and New Song has good chances, too. How well the album as a whole will stand the test of time remains to be seen. For now, my personal ranking (= VERY rough outline, details vary with the mood of the day and only the first and last three are fairly definite) of the songs on Circle is something like this:

Nightbird's Song - New Song - Shades Of Gray

Into The Abyss - My Future - Mission - Dead Man's Dream - Narrow Path - His Song - Enchanted By The Moon - Illusion

Hopeless Days - A New Day - The Wanderer

In other words, I'm unable to make a linear "favorite to least favorite" list because I like those named in the middle in approximately equal measure. The last three all have their moments, too, but those are the ones where I most strongly feel that something is missing or could have been done better. But anyway, fact is that I haven't listened to the regular version in over a month and probably won't ever again. The one I burned for myself (for once appreciating the possibilities of digital technology over vinyl) doesn't have more than two clean-only songs in a row anywhere, and I like it much better that way. ;)

There are too many Songs on this album :p

I plead guilty. ;) What's more, I've also confused New Song with (A) New Day once, although that wasn't in writing. Given that an increasing number of Amorphis fans are over forty and beginning to experience that slow but steady decrease of memory capacity, they might want to come up with more distinctive song titles next time around... :loco:

I'm only a fan of Tomi-era Amorphis (couldn't get into their older stuff or even Magic and Mayhem), so with that in mind:

Album: I think Circle is my favorite. I love their 5 newest CDs (excluding Magic and Mayhem), but Circle is the only album that doesn't have ANY weak tracks (IMO), plus I like the increased screaming as well as it's darker and heavier overall feel.

Songs: So many great ones! I don't have a set 'set' of favorites but the tracks i'm currently listening to a lot are

Narrow Path
Dead Man's Dream
Mermaid
Silent Waters
The White Swan

I've gotten my girlfriend into them recently as well. We can't wait till they tour over here! Hopefully they will for this album cycle, i've been looking at their setlists and they look amazing.

Favorite album is The Circle, none of their others really quite do it for me,some have their moment's, but I feel that The Circle was the album that they were supposed to make.

Favourite album: Silent Waters
Favourite song: Black River

Yet, if i am in the "Tuonela" mood, my answer would be: Tuonela, Summer's End

Far too many to choose from and am still not up to speed still awaiting some CD's, but of what I have lived with enough and of course subject to change ;)

Current fave album - Skyforger
Current fave song - From The Heaven Of My Heart
Current fave from Circle - Hopeless Days

Back again, and this whole thread shebang is far too hard! Sampo, Silver Bride, Empty Opening, Born From Fire, The Smoke, The Wanderer... All magnificent and far too many more likewise to name just one HA!

Their catalog is a swag of greatness \m/

Currently my favourite albums would be Under the Red Cloud and Skyforger. It's actually amazing that UtRC reaches Skyforger levels of worship for me.

Favourite song is 'Silver Bride' and probably always will be!

It's hard to pick a favourite from the new one as it's still in the honeymoon period, but it oscillates between the title track, 'Death of a King' and 'Dark Path'.

my favourite albums of amorphis are My Kantele, Am Universum and especially Far From The Sun (I know... I know... ; ) still I just love it!!)

my all time fave songs are:
>> far from the sun (the lyrics speak to me on so many levels, from sad to ironic and outright mean :D it covers so many situations of my life, it could be the soundtrack of it ^^ )

>> goddess (of the sad man)
>> the night is over
>> god of deception
>> killing goodness
>> smithereens

Last edited: