Favourite song off A Sceptic's Universe?

Christopher85

New Metal Member
Feb 23, 2006
Sorry if this has been done to death but I am really curious to find out what you all think. Being so many great songs on the album it makes it very difficult to decide. My favourite would have to be either Excessit or Fountainhead.

Excellent question. A lot more interesting really. Makes you think and forces you to confront your own preferences along with the motivations behind these.

lars k norberg said:
I think you guys are too kind with us. I’d rather know; which is the worst song on ASU? And why?

Well, there are no really bad songs on "A Sceptic's Universe"... as you already read in most reviews here... but some do stand above others... so taking all this in mind, i'd say the worst (for lack of a better term) song(s) on "A Sceptic's Universe" are:

1) Cloud Constructor: "Being and Nothingness" and "Shuffled" are really really amazing... infact, "Shuffled" is the highlight of "A Sceptic's Universe" in my opinion... but the main part of the song, "Cloud of unknowing" sounds really generic to me... nothing special about it except for the fast solo... but otherwise, it sounds so bland compared to the very complex and intricate songs like "Excessit", "Insect", and "Fountainhead".

2) Moving Spirit: Well the first couple of times i heard it, i wasn't impressed at all... it took quite a few number of listens to swallow this song. Now I like it more, but i still think it's kind-of-weak compared to the more massive and impressive songs like the 3 mentioned above + Conjuring Collapse, Spinning, and Adaptibility.

... I guess those two are the worst, not meaning they are bad at all... but compared to the others, I'd say they SUCK !!! (LOL). Here, my assessment is only based on the music... i'm not talking about the lyrics because "Moving Spirit's" lyrics are really intriguing.

I like everything on that Cd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

But overall my favorite is "Defibrulator". I listen to it when i work out and jsut have it on repeat about 100 times.

I love Cloud Constructor! It's their first song I heard, the snare and bell in the intro and the diminution in the riff that comes in especially is so sick. And then there are those arpeggios and bass hits under the guitar solo that are awesome too.

And then shuffle...and the slow dramatic line before it, yeah I pretty much like everything about Cloud Constructor. I'm not sure what my favourite song is but the worst song on ASU is Moving Spirit.

This is probably because of the tonality or harmony or whatever of/in the beginning and the part after it. Maybe I'm weird but it just doesn't appeal to my ears. I especially don't like the intro (though the vocal phrasing is awesome...but strictly rhymically), and very much dislike the vocals and harmony in the end (that one last triad when he says "deniiiIIIEED" kills me) during "MOOOving spirit!" when it all overlaps.

And there you have it Lars.

I like Spinning, Insect and FountainHead the most, but out of the three I'd have to say Spinning, I've just become upsessed with it latley :D.

Oh, and the Shuffled part of Cloud Constructor is amazing too.

For my least favorite, I'd have to say Moving Spirit as well. Its still an awesome song though.