Female fronted melodic death metal (Includes RAW's for your mixing pleasure)

That's weird because I'm using Logic Pro X as well It should've been 217 but Logic isn't that logic times.

@TRUIE Yeah it's definitely a shame, but it definitely was a necessary to make sure the whole band didn't fall apart, I think I have shared enough details but if you want to know more we can always discuss it via pm :)

Happy mixing!

Cool effort! :)

Minor criticism I have (but that could also be opinion related) :
-Drumwise the kick and snare sound a bit too loud imo, and the overheads are too low and sound a little thin, as if the LPF was set too high.
-Some drumparts are indeed off as what I had played, and could be me, but the drums sound a robotic tight :rofl: Sure the drums are editted, but I did edit them in a way that you can hear a human is playing drums :tickled:
-I'm not too keen about the guitar tone, it's definitely undergained in my opinion and sounds a bit honky in the upper mids.
-Overall the mix is pretty good, but it sounds a bit too clean, which makes it sound a little sterile, but that's just my opinion.

I'm definitely not trying to bash your mix, I do appreciate the effort and the critics are only meant to make your mixes better :)

Cool effort! :)

Minor criticism I have (but that could also be opinion related) :
-Drumwise the kick and snare sound a bit too loud imo, and the overheads are too low and sound a little thin, as if the LPF was set too high.
-Some drumparts are indeed off as what I had played, and could be me, but the drums sound a robotic tight :rofl: Sure the drums are editted, but I did edit them in a way that you can hear a human is playing drums :tickled:
-I'm not too keen about the guitar tone, it's definitely undergained in my opinion and sounds a bit honky in the upper mids.
-Overall the mix is pretty good, but it sounds a bit too clean, which makes it sound a little sterile, but that's just my opinion.

I'm definitely not trying to bash your mix, I do appreciate the effort and the critics are only meant to make your mixes better :)

Thank you for feedback! Readjusted the guitar sounds and updated the file, but can't say if made any significant difference. I'm having hard time with the guitar tones in general. The 'bite' or 'grain' or whatever it's called mostly stands out for me as static upper middle dissonant resonance, as it has no harmonic relation with the musical tones. So I always start carving it out, although the chart metal trend seems to go in the same direction. Have to figure out a way of producing more inline results. ^_^

Well, distorted guitar is basically noise which eats up the whole frequency spectrum But keep on doing what you do and eventually you will find the right balance :)

Who else is going to give this a shot?

Here my try! Did some extensive fiddling with the drums, and I'm not sure how the fills turned out. Had to insert some MIDI using the Stetson-Harrison method. ^_^

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ggqk5xv22m0lcf0/nephylim_-_futile_endevours.m4a?dl=0
Your mix is pretty OK,
A bit too dry to my taste (mainly drums), some more reverb/room samples on snare would help a lot.
Also, kick and snare are very rigid and too hard sounding to me, it's a bit fatiguing all along (sounds like all velocities are 127, very obvious for example in the part at 0'20 where hard hits, ghost notes and fills all sounds the same).

I agree that a bit more gain on guitars won't hurt too. I noticed that I had to dial more gain than usual too on my reamps, I think that these rythm parts just beg for heavy distortion/compression.

Otherwise, nice work !

Just did a new pass on the last mix I posted,
Here is the new version : https://dl.dropbox.com/s/qs0u3idyqkt4mvl/NEPHYLIM 1215 Futile Endeavours MASTER.mp3
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/qs0u3idyqkt4mvl/NEPHYLIM 1215 Futile Endeavours MASTER.mp3
Can't believe there's so little response to this new multitrack, is really nobody having a go at it ?
That's such a killer song, with real drums and nice overall recording, just go mix it guys !!

Thanks for taking a listen! Agreed that the drums could use more ambience. The velocities arent all full, but there's so much parallel compression going on, that it certainly sounds like it. There's some machine gunning in the fills, 'cause I was too lazy tweak them. Still trying to get my head around the metal sound.

I think your mix sounds great! It's perhaps a bit too strong in the lowest bass frequencies, but that's something you can probably revise with a remaster if necessary. Still, it feels very solid and consistent. Great mixing! BTW, purchased myself a Cubase, as I'm trying to migrate from Mac platform to Windows. If there is some 'essential Cubase tutorial resources' or something like that available, I would greatly appreciate. Googling just gives hundreds and thousands of more or less vague and ambiguous results, and the manual really is just documentation about the features without any tips/views how to use them effectively. ^_^

Reactions: TRUIE
Here is my try ! thanks for sharing this masterpiece.
Please comment, your opinions will help me grow as a mixer !

Spend an estimated time of 10 hours between minor editions (the bass and guitar tracks had "clips", I guess it was a product of absence of crossfades in the process of editing them), the addition of some samples to the bass drum and the snare and all the mixing and mastering process.

Again, thank you very much for sharing this material and give us the opportunity to have fun, and grow!

Thanks for sharing the tracks, I'll have a try!

Spend an estimated time of 10 hours between minor editions (the bass and guitar tracks had "clips", I guess it was a product of absence of crossfades in the process of editing them), the addition of some samples to the bass drum and the snare and all the mixing and mastering process.

Again, thank you very much for sharing this material and give us the opportunity to have fun, and grow!

I think your mix is nice.
IMHO The kick could have more click, it lacks high mid.
Also, I hear some ringing frequencies at 3'09. I don't know from which track it comes but I think you should remove it.

Thanks for taking a listen! Agreed that the drums could use more ambience. The velocities arent all full, but there's so much parallel compression going on, that it certainly sounds like it. There's some machine gunning in the fills, 'cause I was too lazy tweak them. Still trying to get my head around the metal sound.

I think your mix sounds great! It's perhaps a bit too strong in the lowest bass frequencies, but that's something you can probably revise with a remaster if necessary. Still, it feels very solid and consistent. Great mixing! BTW, purchased myself a Cubase, as I'm trying to migrate from Mac platform to Windows. If there is some 'essential Cubase tutorial resources' or something like that available, I would greatly appreciate. Googling just gives hundreds and thousands of more or less vague and ambiguous results, and the manual really is just documentation about the features without any tips/views how to use them effectively. ^_^
Thank you for taking the time to listen and give some feedback, much appreciated ;)
I'll check again the lowest frequencies (had worked on it between v1 and v2, but maybe it's still too much).

Not sure about Cubase ; I work with it since a lot of time, and learned to use it step by step through the years (and still learn a lot).

Steinberg have a lot of stuff on youtube, maybe it can help if you're after tips and tricks.
Check this playlists : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcQBdibdDxH2ngu3kNPYOEA/playlists

Also, don't understimate the manual, as I definitely grabed a lot of useful stuff from it, when I need to dive deeper into a feature. There is an online version that's pretty well organised and easy to navigate through :
https://steinberg.help/cubase-manuals/cubase-pro/cubase-pro-9/

Good luck ;)

Last edited:

Mix is nice ! The thing that's bothering me the most is the very clouded and harsh mids ; it seems to come from cymbals and guitars and it takes a lot of space / makes the overall mix sound a bit flat.
Maybe try notching some ~3-4k on cymbals and guitars ?
I also agree that some more kick (and more shells in general) wouldn't hurt, maybe some more work on EQ/comp too to make it cut through more.

Also, mix sounds a bit static and some basic level automations between parts will help a lot !! (for example you can play a lot with guitar rythm/lead levels and pans, that sort of stuff).

Hey there, I've heard some of the posts, and would really love to try this track out and show you what I can do, but the link to the tracks doesn't seem to be working, Is there a way I could still get these? Thanks!