Final proof that today's college kids are fucking morons.

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
Survey: iPods more popular than beer

Wed Jun 7, 10:14 PM ET

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Move over Bud. College life isn't just about drinking beer. In a rare instance, Apple Computer Inc.'s iconic iPod music player surpassed beer drinking as the most "in" thing among undergraduate college students, according to the latest biannual market research study by Ridgewood, N.J.-based Student Monitor.

Nearly three quarters, or 73 percent, of 1,200 students surveyed said iPods were "in" — more than any other item in a list that also included text messaging, bar hopping and downloading music.

In the year-ago study, only 59 percent of students named the iPod as "in," putting the gadget well below alcohol-related activities.

This year, drinking beer and Facebook.com, a social networking Web site, were tied for second most popular, with 71 percent of the students identifying them as "in."

The only other time beer was temporarily dethroned in the 18 years of the survey was in 1997 — by the Internet, said Eric Weil, a managing partner at Student Monitor.

Though beer might soon regain its No. 1 spot, as it quickly did a decade ago, the iPod's popularity is still "a remarkable sign," Weil said. "For those who believe there's an excessive amount of drinking on campus, now there's something else that's common on campuses."

Student Monitor conducted the survey the week of March 6, interviewing full-time undergraduate students at 100 U.S. colleges. The margin of error is plus or minus 2.3 percentage points.
thumbsdown.gif

I think they picked nerds with the white headphones and not the drunken jocks in their questions.

Well, in fairness, if you asked me to give up either beer or my iPod... bye-bye sudsy. Now, if it was between my iPod and bourbon, vodka or red wine... that's a different story.

Zod

more proof of the stupidy of today's college kids can be found in the pre exhilarating excitement in the faces of these guys when they think somebody has gotten a new cellphone. And its pure euphoric bliss when they invest in a new one themselves.

it's a fucking phone. it rings. You talk. You hang up. WTF!?

don't worry, out of 36 people in my class, I'd hire 10 of them total. The others are too fucking retarded, morally bankrupt or otherwise worthless peices of moronic shit.

Not that I'm saying life in your late 20s is any better. It sucks actually. If anything, I would say age 22-26 are the best assuming that one has graduated from college and is making money but is also avoiding those pitfalls of serious relationships and huge purchases like, say, a home. With hindsight, I would recommend to anyone in that age group to live their lives with as much adventure as they can tolerate. Because, when you own a house, have a family, etc., that shit is over and done with and you find yourself doing mundane stuff like shopping for disability insurance and researching minivans.

Excellent idea my friend. As far as children go though, you don't want to be raising them too late (and you don't your wife to give birth too late). So, it's a difficult decision. If we had our druthers, we'd still be childless for maybe another year or so.