FINALLY!!!! I bought a Firepod!

Well after 2 hours of installation issues(thank you very much Microsoft) I got my Firepod working. I haven't had a chance to plug any mics in yet, but I did manage to get my monitors hooked up. S/PDIF is an amazing thing. My monitors have a S/PDIF in so I gave it a shot. Sounds PRISTINE compared to what I'm used to, running my monitors the analog way off of my old Tascam US-428. Can't wait to lay down some guitar. But it will have to wait, since I have 3 finals tomorrow and haven't started studying for any of them.

Oh and I bought a Boss NS-2 to give it a shot. Let me tell you, that pedal is CRAP compared to the ISP products....

HAHAHAHAHA! Installation took as long as it took to place the firepod on a flat surface plug it in and connect the firewire cable:

I swear to god macs are better in this regard. Fuck drivers.

HAHAHAHAHA! Installation took as long as it took to place the firepod on a flat surface plug it in and connect the firewire cable:

I swear to god macs are better in this regard. Fuck drivers.

Yeah Microsoft screwed the pooch with service pack 2, nothing but firewire issues. I was actually thinking about ditching my laptop and grabbing a Mac.... We shall see....

Audix fusion set

3 f10s, 1 f12, and 2 f15s.

I know, they probably will suck. But it's a start and it's all i can afford as of right now.

I didn't want to go uber cheapo though. And there are definitly cheaper sets.

Those F15's work well on hats/ride, but the rest were pretty crap when I tried them. Kick was alright, but I ended up sound replacing it 90% on the project I did.

And it should be known that XLR lines can get pretty damn long (around 100ft, IIRC) before loosing signal, and that's without phantom power mics.

I had no issues at all when setting my FirePod up with my MacBook. I plugged the firewire cable into it, my ext. HDD into the FirePod, turned it all on, and it worked in 5 seconds.

Ok, so I might buy one too in the near future but I'm not sure about two small things. As I really don't want to start ANOTHER firepod thread ;) I'll post here:

1) When micing clean guitars / recording singers I often had a clipping problem on my current shit interface. I can't spend money on extra compressors/limiters atm so will I be fine with just the firepod or not?

2) As the firepod cannot phantom power every mic pre by itself I'm worried if I can attach a mic that doesn't need phantom power to a powered pre without doing harm to it. For example if I have less than 4 mics that need phantom power and the others don't and I need every pre at the same time.

Thx in advance.

Ok, so I might buy one too in the near future but I'm not sure about two small things. As I really don't want to start ANOTHER firepod thread ;) I'll post here:

1) When micing clean guitars / recording singers I often had a clipping problem on my current shit interface. I can't spend money on extra compressors/limiters atm so will I be fine with just the firepod or not?

2) As the firepod cannot phantom power every mic pre by itself I'm worried if I can attach a mic that doesn't need phantom power to a powered pre without doing harm to it. For example if I have less than 4 mics that need phantom power and the others don't and I need every pre at the same time.

Thx in advance.

1: I have recorded some loud ass shit and yeah it has the ability to clip it still does well.

2: The firepod has switchable fantom power for preamps 1-4 and 4-8. So if you had 4 mics and not all of them needed phantom power you would be ok you would just have to use different pramps.

Hey, thanks for the reply but...

1: Sorry, I really don't get what your answer means :loco: - Is it possible to prevent it from clipping without additional gear when recording loud vocals/clean guitars and so on or not?

2: I know that you can only phantom power mics 1-4 and 5-8 at the same time. For what I need to know imagine the following situation.

8 mics, 2 of them need phantom power, the others don't. All of them need to be used at the same time.

Setting on the Firepod: Phantom power for mics 1-4: on 5-8: off

pre 1: phantom powered mic
pre 2: phantom powered mic
pre 3-8: non-phantom powered mic

So obviously the mics on pres 3-4 are getting phantom powered, even though they don't need it. Now: Are they being damaged by that or do they don't care?

Thanks again for help.

Setting on the Firepod: Phantom power for mics 1-4: on 5-8: off

pre 1: phantom powered mic
pre 2: phantom powered mic
pre 3-8: non-phantom powered mic

So obviously the mics on pres 3-4 are getting phantom powered, even though they don't need it. Now: Are they being damaged by that or do they don't care?.

As far as that question one thing. I guess I didn't get what you were saying. Are you asking if the preamps clip? I mean I don't get why you would clip your preamps, just turn them down :lol:.

Dynamic mics are not a problem. If you for some reason were using a ribbon mic then yeah you would have to worry about the fantom power thing but you can plug a 57 into a pre with fantom power on and it aint gonna hurt it.

Now we're getting in the right direction... :D

Point two is clear now, thanks!

As for question one: The thing is, that my current shit pre clips a lot when recording clean gtrs/vocals. The gain pot is like one millimeter opened or something like that. Anything more is way off in the reds... It doesn't have a pad switch or something like that.

As I don't have any comparison I was just worried that every pre would behave the same. Also had the problem on a Soundcraft board. So I hope I'll be fine cause I'll sound really fit into this thread as I reserved my FirePod yesterday (picking it up on Thursday, first session for a band: next week).

So finally: I bought a Firepod! :D
Everything seems to work fine so far, like it a lot.
One thing though:
The manual says that there should be 4 cds in the box. I only got 3, the ACID XMC is missing. What's that? Am I missing something important?

I don't know if you've found an answer to this yet, but phantom powering dynamic mics will do nothing to them in the vast majority of cases - 57s, i5s, and the like won't have any issues.

Jeff