Finally saw Alive 2

I agree with jonnie and i have done all along. Joey seems so happy to be in the band again and i dont seem him as permament and he will be absolutly heartbroken when he is "asked" to leave again. And in the meantime anthrax have seriously pissed off and probably lost their current singer so tehy could be fucked. However i love the reunion and am just enjoying it while it lasts.

yeah this is what puzzles me. in interviews after they sacked joey, scott said how joey didn't fit in, never wrote a single lyric, a single note of music and now all of a sudden the guy is back in the band and scott loves the guy.
it seems they are using joey to purely generate some interest in the band (like a marketing gimmick) and that strikes me as a very cynical tactic. especially since i think bush was a far better fit. definitely a step backwards.

but hey maybe a bit of mystery is a good thing........

MadeInNewJersey said:
Regardless, if Bush did come back, I highly doubt you'd see fans of the "classic" era bitching & moaning like you see going on for the last, oh, year from the latter day fans. I

We'll talk when it happens.

max said:
yeah this is what puzzles me. in interviews after they sacked joey, scott said how joey didn't fit in, never wrote a single lyric, a single note of music and now all of a sudden the guy is back in the band and scott loves the guy. it seems they are using joey to purely generate some interest in the band (like a marketing gimmick) and that strikes me as a very cynical tactic. especially since i think bush was a far better fit. definitely a step backwards.
THIS is what I thought the second I heard about the reunion.

max said:
what's so good about being able to sing the "high notes" ??

if a song has high notes, I would say it's pretty good to be able to hit them.

BOOOOOOOOKKKKKAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

johnnieCzech said:
Yeah, I agree. But there WILL BE pissed off fans after the situation turns out. One way or another. Because of the anticipation.

The funny thing is that the only HARDCORE John Bush era fans are located on this forum. That would be a few hundred or so. Most Anthrax fans in the real world (away from this forum) will always think of Anthrax as the Joey era. The "Indians" "NFL" "Im the Man" that shit is what 99 percent of Anthrax fans will always remember. There are not many true metal heads out there that are going to miss songs like 'safe home'. There are not many Anthrax fans that even know who Rob is, excpet for the few die hards on THIS forum.

So all this talk about fans being pissed off yeah its true, 100 or so of the fans on THIS forum might be pissed off. But in the actual real world people are excited about the thrash being brought back, most metal heads are estatic that Joey is back and Anthrax is back to sounding how they remembered them as sounding. You can tell this by ticket sales and how crazy the crowd is going.

There are hundreds of thousands of Anthrax fans around the world. The only ones that are pissed Joey is back are about 100 people and they are on this forum bitching about it every day

ironmaidenfan09 said:
The funny thing is that the only HARDCORE John Bush era fans are located on this forum. That would be a few hundred or so. Most Anthrax fans in the real world (away from this forum) will always think of Anthrax as the Joey era. The "Indians" "NFL" "Im the Man" that shit is what 99 percent of Anthrax fans will always remember. There are not many true metal heads out there that are going to miss songs like 'safe home'. There are not many Anthrax fans that even know who Rob is, excpet for the few die hards on THIS forum.

So all this talk about fans being pissed off yeah its true, 100 or so of the fans on THIS forum might be pissed off. But in the actual real world people are excited about the thrash being brought back, most metal heads are estatic that Joey is back and Anthrax is back to sounding how they remembered them as sounding. You can tell this by ticket sales and how crazy the crowd is going.

There are hundreds of thousands of Anthrax fans around the world. The only ones that are pissed Joey is back are about 100 people and they are on this forum bitching about it every day

I strongly disagree, it's not like the bush era cd's only sold to the 100 or so fans on this forum and it's not like the reunion tour is filling places like it did in the 80s.

MadeInNewJersey said:
Yeah, I don't know how or why "I'm the Man" entered the picture, especially since it so clearly was a joke. Then again, MyHatred is none too bright.

Anyway, I guess you could say it's "subjective" what is and what is not metal, but uh, not really.

Anthrax = metal
Korn = nu-metal

See? Simple.

Wel, I see Korn as a rock band. And what is nu-metal? Maybe 2 latest In Flames albums, IMO..? Thank god they have moved a bit backwards on their forthcoming one!

whitey131 said:
I strongly disagree, it's not like the bush era cd's only sold to the 100 or so fans on this forum and it's not like the reunion tour is filling places like it did in the 80s.

I bought some Bush era CD's that doesn't mean I am a huge john bush era fan. I just wanted to check the CD's out. It's almost rediculous to argue about because its so simple. The Old school Anthrax fans think of Anthrax as Joey the vocalist. Not many people do you run across that are like 'yeah this sucks joey is back' they are all stoked. Every icon metal band in the world has even been quoted as being excited about the classic line up being back together. Anthrax had some good songs with John, he is a good vocalist, but its just not ANTHRASH that most metal heads grew up with. When arena's were being filed up Joey was on vocals and those people that filled arena's LOVED anthrax. When John came on board they slowly started losing fans until they could barely sell out clubs. Now granted they are still playing clubs they are able to sell them out and will have a much better chance at getting on a major tour with major bands such as Iron Maiden, Metallica etc. With Bush on vocals it would have never happend.

$haron Osbourne wouldn't even let them play ozzfest because she knew the crowd wanted the classic line up on the stage not the john bush line up

ironmaidenfan09 said:
I bought some Bush era CD's that doesn't mean I am a huge john bush era fan. I just wanted to check the CD's out. It's almost rediculous to argue about because its so simple. The Old school Anthrax fans think of Anthrax as Joey the vocalist. Not many people do you run across that are like 'yeah this sucks joey is back' they are all stoked. Every icon metal band in the world has even been quoted as being excited about the classic line up being back together. Anthrax had some good songs with John, he is a good vocalist, but its just not ANTHRASH that most metal heads grew up with. When arena's were being filed up Joey was on vocals and those people that filled arena's LOVED anthrax. When John came on board they slowly started losing fans until they could barely sell out clubs. Now granted they are still playing clubs they are able to sell them out and will have a much better chance at getting on a major tour with major bands such as Iron Maiden, Metallica etc. With Bush on vocals it would have never happend.

$haron Osbourne wouldn't even let them play ozzfest because she knew the crowd wanted the classic line up on the stage not the john bush line up
You have such a one sided view of this, I bought Among the living, it doesn't mean I'm a hard core Joey fan either. Your talking about the old school metal fans, not everyone. The truth is there are many fans spli on this.

I've gotta comment again.

I came on board just after Spreading the Disease came out. The day that Among the Living came out, I was there to get the cassette once class let out. I've been listening to the band for 20+ years and seen the lineups with Joey and John.

Yes, I'm old (35).

Honestly, when John Bush was brought on board, I thought it was the best way for the band to go. It's not that I thought that Joey was a bad vocalist, but John seemed to fit better with the band, visually and sonically.

I think that bands should move forward, not backwards. For some of us old school fans, Joey and Dan's return just doesn't ring right. :(

sumairetsu said:
I've gotta comment again.

I came on board just after Spreading the Disease came out. The day that Among the Living came out, I was there to get the cassette once class let out. I've been listening to the band for 20+ years and seen the lineups with Joey and John.

Yes, I'm old (35).

Honestly, when John Bush was brought on board, I thought it was the best way for the band to go. It's not that I thought that Joey was a bad vocalist, but John seemed to fit better with the band, visually and sonically.

I think that bands should move forward, not backwards. For some of us old school fans, Joey and Dan's return just doesn't ring right. :(

Please see the 73977479473749739 last threads to continue reunion discussion along the same lines.

Well IMO they certainly made a huge step forward on the live front, energetic performances, killer crowds and huge moshpits! they sound anything but dated and burned out if you have been to any of the reunion shows!

ironmaidenfan09 said:
The Old school Anthrax fans think of Anthrax as Joey the vocalist. Not many people do you run across that are like 'yeah this sucks joey is back' they are all stoked.
Speak for yourself. I've been into Anthrax since fucking 1987 and I love the Bush era, and you know where I stand on the reunion.

Every icon metal band in the world has even been quoted as being excited about the classic line up being back together.
MARKETING

When John came on board they slowly started losing fans until they could barely sell out clubs.
How do you know that wouldn't have happened anyway? In the 90s, if you weren't Metallica, you flat out didn't play anything except clubs, with rare exceptions.
Now granted they are still playing clubs they are able to sell them out and
So with Bush they never sold out shows; er, the WCFYA tour! If those gigs weren't sold out, they were damn near it.

and will have a much better chance at getting on a major tour with major bands such as Iron Maiden, Metallica etc.
Oh? Well, I hate to say it, Judas Priest isn't Iron Maiden. Don't forget Anthrax did co-headlining tours with Priest before (granted, not with Halford) and Motorhead (granted, not Metallica), that were successful in the States and Europe.
Yeah, they were a hit at Ozzfest last year! Er, wait a minute...

spacebeer said:
Well IMO they certainly made a huge step forward on the live front, energetic performances, killer crowds and huge moshpits! they sound anything but dated and burned out if you have been to any of the reunion shows!

They don't sound dated to you becuase you like old school. Nothin wrong with that!