Finally saw Alive 2

ironmaidenfan09 said:
Although I love the Killers album Bruce Dickinson is a FAR superior vocalist to Paul D'ianno. When Bruce sings Pauls songs live I do enjoy them more than the originals however if I heard them re-recorded with Bruce on vocals it just wouldn't be the same and I would take the original Paul D'ianno versions anyday.

There are not many vocalists on this planet that could ever touch Bruce Dickinson's vocals. It would be nearly impossible to replace him. It was a disaster when they brought in Blaze Bailey.

In the case of Anthrax John Bush is not a far superior singer to Joey. Infact Joey could hit way more high notes and 'sing' better than the more monotone John Bush. Both are good vocalises but in different ways.

I don't think there is anyone on this forum that doesn't think John Bush is a good vocalist. The point is that the Anthrax songs during the Joey era are what most Anthrax fans want to hear. Even when Anthrax played live during the Bush era most people wanted to hear the 'old shit' and with John on vocals it just didn't sound the same.

In understand most kids on here probably were never even around when Joey was on vocals and got into Anthrax after he left. But for me the first time I saw them live was whent hey opened for Iron Maiden in 91 and that was fuckin awesome. Then of course they played with Slayer, Megadeth, and Alice in Chains at the Clash of the Titans tour which was another classic. And then the arena headlining tour with Primus and Public Enemy... fucking awsome! Anthrax came out with a HUGE clock on stage and you just heard a 'tick tick tick tick tick' and then they came out firing. I will never forget that shit back then. Now I just saw them again with Joey for the first time since then and it was like they never skipped a beat. I am calling for another Iron Maiden / Anthrax tour in 2006!

I know Bruce has a great voice but I always liked a grittier voice. Guy like Joey and Bruce you almost feel like they "sing" to well for metal.

Steve harris is a fucking god.

whitey131 said:
I'm not going to argue what bands I like and don't.. That was a list of cd's that I have bought in the past couple of years off the top of my head.

I'm not debating that at all; your tastes are your tastes. I'm not bashing your tastes at all. But it is funny that your argument about some older metalheads not giving a "chance" to new metal bands or whatever was supported by listing those bands, which really aren't metal. Well, not all of them.

jdelpi said:
Are you dissin' Scott and Charlie's favorite bands?

Why yes, yes I am.

See my comment re: hopefully a new album w/ Joey will breathe life into their writing, because it's clear as day they're completely out of touch with the modern "metal" scene. They've got the nu-metal thing down pat, though. :tickled:

Nu-Metal????:rolleyes:
I have never heard so many leads in a nu-metal band then. You are a metal genius. Please keep teaching us the way, Master Jedi. You seem to have forgot *cough* I'm the Man? You are right in that your "classic" Anthrax knows nu-metal real well. You are too funny

MadeInNewJersey said:
I'm not debating that at all; your tastes are your tastes. I'm not bashing your tastes at all. But it is funny that your argument about some older metalheads not giving a "chance" to new metal bands or whatever was supported by listing those bands, which really aren't metal. Well, not all of them.

What's metal and what isn't? That's pretty subjective.

MyHatred said:
Nu-Metal????:rolleyes:
I have never heard so many leads in a nu-metal band then. You are a metal genius. Please keep teaching us the way, Master Jedi. You seem to have forgot *cough* I'm the Man? You are right in that your "classic" Anthrax knows nu-metal real well. You are too funny

Now I'm going way off topic, but I always found it funny that Anthrax was credited with being pioneers on this when I'm the man sounds like it was done as sort of a joke.

Yeah, I don't know how or why "I'm the Man" entered the picture, especially since it so clearly was a joke. Then again, MyHatred is none too bright.

Anyway, I guess you could say it's "subjective" what is and what is not metal, but uh, not really.

Anthrax = metal
Korn = nu-metal

See? Simple.

Also, for the record, I've never once stated that Anthrax was nu-metal, so once again, MyHatred could use a course in reading comprehension as well. All I said is that based on the bands Scott & Charlie listed in their "best of 2005" comments, and based on comments made on the Alive 2 DVD, it's clear they've lost touch with the MODERN METAL SCENE.

Cheers whitey, for being civil.

MadeInNewJersey said:
Neither did I. At all. And then he goes and mentions Slipknot, System Of A Down and Damageplan as examples of new stuff. :tickled:

A Yankees fan & a Sox fan agreeing on something. Next thing you know dogs & cats will be living together. It'll be anarchy!

hahahaha, we are good until April.. But then you and Damon can go @$&*@! yourselves!!

One way or another, what's left is pissed off fans. Had they made it clear in the beginning (I mean, either announcing that they were gonna make a permanent reunion, or that they were just gonna make some money and then bring Bush back) , everyone would have respected it. Instead they decided to give the fans this "we don't know" bullcrap - a thing unseen before. Well I would still bet that the following album will be in the reunited lineup, which would leave the Bush fans pissed off and alienated, but, the more I think of it the more I get the feeling that it will actually be Joey who's gonna get screwed in the end, and that would leave all the reunion fans pissed off and alienated.

johnnieCzech said:
One way or another, what's left is pissed off fans. Had they made it clear in the beginning (I mean, either announcing that they were gonna make a permanent reunion, or that they were just gonna make some money and then bring Bush back) , everyone would have respected it. Instead they decided to give the fans this "we don't know" bullcrap - a thing unseen before. Well I would still bet that the following album will be in the reunited lineup, which would leave the Bush fans pissed off and alienated, but, the more I think of it the more I get the feeling that it will actually be Joey who's gonna get screwed in the end, and that would leave all the reunion fans pissed off and alienated.

Speak for yourself Johnie, I'm not a pissed off fan. I'm more psyched about Anthrax than I have been for years...I liked BOTH eras about equally, but damn, I don't find it annoying not to know what's happening next, I find it actually kinda intriguing and suprising.

It makes a nice change not to know exactly what's happening. Maybe I'm just so old that I hanker after the mystique of having to wait for next fortnights issue of Kerrang! to get my half baked tittle tattle. Now everything is immediately cast in type print and put forth on the internet for every little scrap of information to be dissected again and again and again...

I think that if I felt as "alienated" as many of the folks here claim to fee, I'd move on to another band forum. Sure, I think Anthrax are completely top tier, but there ARE other bands they could worry about.

Carcassian said:
Speak for yourself Johnie, I'm not a pissed off fan. I'm more psyched about Anthrax than I have been for years...I liked BOTH eras about equally, but damn, I don't find it annoying not to know what's happening next, I find it actually kinda intriguing and suprising.

It makes a nice change not to know exactly what's happening. Maybe I'm just so old that I hanker after the mystique of having to wait for next fortnights issue of Kerrang! to get my half baked tittle tattle. Now everything is immediately cast in type print and put forth on the internet for every little scrap of information to be dissected again and again and again...

I think that if I felt as "alienated" as many of the folks here claim to fee, I'd move on to another band forum. Sure, I think Anthrax are completely top tier, but there ARE other bands they could worry about.

Yeah, I agree. But there WILL BE pissed off fans after the situation turns out. One way or another. Because of the anticipation.

I totally agree with Johnny. That's the whole reason I joined this forum after lurking for years; the reunion. I NEVER believed it would happen. I was like, WTFGHITS (what the fucking goddamn hell is this shit)! Totally without explanation, out of the blue. I think it's pretty clear that I'm not alone in this.

Now we have lots of reunion and Joey-era fans here. So what will happen if they go back to the WCFYA lineup, as unlikely as that seems? Or they make a record with Bellardini and Spitz, but it isn't what they were expecting, which is 80s-era thrash? A LOT of disappointed fans.

So, Anthrax is between a rock and a hard place, they've painted themselves into a corner.

Maybe so, maybe not. i don't think theyve finished themselves at all. I won't be expecting an 80s thrash album, I will be expecting something similar to WCFYA but with the twists associated with Joeys vocal range and Dans playing.

Even if the new record isn't a reunion line up record I'll still be here. The band rules whichever line up, and for me it's win/win no matter what happens, as long as something does.

Carcassian said:
and for me it's win/win no matter what happens, as long as something does.
Yeah, I guess at this point, as long as they make a new record, I'll be there.

johnnieCzech said:

I'm not a pissed off fan at all! And did you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, they really DON'T know?! I mean, they are human. Maybe they're just taking a day-by-day approach and seeing how things go?

Regardless, if Bush did come back, I highly doubt you'd see fans of the "classic" era bitching & moaning like you see going on for the last, oh, year from the latter day fans. I bought WCFYA and enjoyed it pretty much. Without Joey, they'll never be able to make an album like STD, ATL, etc., in my opinion, but it doesn't mean I just flat stop supporting the band.

One of the things that I remember happening about Joey being sacked in the first place was that the band made claims that they fired him because they were being limited in the type of material that they could write to match his voice.

Are we going to step backwards?

sumairetsu said:
One of the things that I remember happening about Joey being sacked in the first place was that the made claims that they fired him because they were being limited in the type of material that they could write to match his voice.

Are we going to step backwards?

And thus, Carcassians law is proved once more.