Firewind in NYC this Saturday - Who's Coming?

To my ear, Firewind isn't just generic, their boring. The former is forgivable, the latter isn't. Obviously, songwriting quality is completely subjective. So obviously, opinions vary. In addition, with Power Metal bands, it's all about the singer. And Apollo does nothing for me.

I've been a fan since the 1st album and have enjoyed each singer. My only complaint about them is that they seem to have moved away from heaviness, riffing to just writing catchy, hook laden hard rock/ metal songs. Not that it's a bad thing per se but I enjoy the heavier material more. I WILL be at the show on Saturday since I am a dedicated fan.

I'd love to see these guys again. I am enjoying the new album, particularly the guitar solos. I can see how some people would call them generic, especially in the lyrics. 1 song in and they are rhyming desire and fire. Note to power metal bands: everyone pairs those two words.

I'd love to see these guys again. I am enjoying the new album, particularly the guitar solos. I can see how some people would call them generic, especially in the lyrics. 1 song in and they are rhyming desire and fire. Note to power metal bands: everyone pairs those two words.

As Zod pointed out before, nobody should be rhyming desire and fire. :lol: Hammerfall started it. I was hoping they'd be the first and last. :lol:

As Zod pointed out before, nobody should be rhyming desire and fire. :lol: Hammerfall started it. I was hoping they'd be the first and last. :lol:

I missed that post. While I'm no power metal historian, I'd be shocked if someone didn't rhyme the two before Hammerfall did.

In addition, with Power Metal bands, it's all about the singer. And Apollo does nothing for me.

I think Apollo is a great singer and really enjoy him in Firewind (as I did in Majestic and also on the latest Spiritual Beggars). Just wondering, what are some of the singers you like?

Well, back to the original question, Dave, Michelle and I have been planning to go for awhile now. We all really like the band and have been looking forward to it. Gotta check with them today and make sure they can still go - kids, you never know.

So, if catchy melodies, engaging riffs and solid vocals is generic, I guess I like generic metal. Looking at some of the other bands I love, I suspect that is the case. Gus's playing is something I can absorb and get into instead of jarring and yanking me in different directions, and I've seen far worse repetitive lyrics than that. Brainstorm is way worse, and I like them too. ;) Guess I'm just simple-minded.

So, does anyone want to meet up pre-show?

Well, back to the original question, Dave, Michelle and I have been planning to go for awhile now. We all really like the band and have been looking forward to it. Gotta check with them today and make sure they can still go - kids, you never know.

So, if catchy melodies, engaging riffs and solid vocals is generic, I guess I like generic metal. Looking at some of the other bands I love, I suspect that is the case. Gus's playing is something I can absorb and get into instead of jarring and yanking me in different directions, and I've seen far worse repetitive lyrics than that. Brainstorm is way worse, and I like them too. ;) Guess I'm just simple-minded.

So, does anyone want to meet up pre-show?

Put me down for that! I'm coming down to NY with my bud Fabio, I think you met him at the Epica show last year. We'll definitely be there earlier and can meet you, Dave and Michelle. Is your husband coming as well? Haven't seen him in forever!

Put me down for that! I'm coming down to NY with my bud Fabio, I think you met him at the Epica show last year. We'll definitely be there earlier and can meet you, Dave and Michelle. Is your husband coming as well? Haven't seen him in forever!

*eyetwitch*

When we went to the Nevermore show we ate and drank at Pizza Pub on 3rd. Cheap beer and drinks and pizza deals as well as bar food. But if you want something with a little more atmosphere, there are a few other places nearby. So far, Matt's not going. Tried to talk him into it, but don't think it's going to work. Matt, "I saw them at Sweden Rock in '06. Not going to get better than that."

Specifically Power Metal? The first few that come to mind are...

Eric Adams
Lance King
Urban Breed
Matt Barlow

Well, save for King who is a high-pitcher, the others are mostly mid-rangers than can go high when needed. I do enjoy all these guys (my least fave would be King, as I'm not too high on high-pitchers but I still can enjoy his stuff). So, our tastes for singers aren't that different, save for Apollo as it seems...I would say that Apollo would be my fave against these 4 you named (tied with Urban Breed).

When we went to the Nevermore show we ate and drank at Pizza Pub on 3rd. Cheap beer and drinks and pizza deals as well as bar food. But if you want something with a little more atmosphere, there are a few other places nearby. So far, Matt's not going. Tried to talk him into it, but don't think it's going to work. Matt, "I saw them at Sweden Rock in '06. Not going to get better than that."

That's good to know. I'll keep you guys updates as to when we'll get there.

As for Matt, how about trying to convince him to come by saying that Ozzy's guitarist will be playing with Firewind? :lol:

As for Matt, how about trying to convince him to come by saying that Ozzy's guitarist will be playing with Firewind? :lol:

I swear to you, thats how I sold most of my tickets. People don't know who Firewind is, but they know who Ozzy is. They don't even listen to Ozzy, but he's a famous name, so..

I swear to you, thats how I sold most of my tickets. People don't know who Firewind is, but they know who Ozzy is. They don't even listen to Ozzy, but he's a famous name, so..

I believe it. Even Gus G. himself must take advantage of that for self promotion, so there's no reason why you couldn't do it also.

I would say that Apollo would be my fave against these 4 you named (tied with Urban Breed).
Better than Barlow? That's just crazy talk. :loco:

I've always said, singers are a very personal thing. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why a given singer resounds so strongly with one person, but not another with seemingly similar tastes.

My Nephew is having his First birthday that same day. Love to go, but you only have one first birthday. :) Otherwise, I would be over there.