Firewind in NYC this Saturday - Who's Coming?

I don't think I will recognize everyone who is going, so either please post/send a picture or if you see me please walk up and introduce/say hello. I'll have some of my sampler CDs with me also to give ya if you don't have one already.

Well, I was totally set to go, then Michelle got sick, so she and Dave aren't going. Really don't want to do the hour drive up and back by myself. :( Very disappointed.

Well, I was totally set to go, then Michelle got sick, so she and Dave aren't going. Really don't want to do the hour drive up and back by myself. :( Very disappointed.

Seems that our group of regulars crumbled for this show, huh? That's a shame.

I guess I'll see everyone in two weeks when the bards arrive in Times Square... :)

Seems that our group of regulars crumbled for this show, huh? That's a shame.

I guess I'll see everyone in two weeks when the bards arrive in Times Square... :)

I know. Crowd's gonna be might thin w/o us, lol. What happened to you in soccer, btw? As for the BG show, Ben's future in-laws are throwing an engagement party for him and his fiance on the 21st in San Diego, so we'll be there. They also announced the date of the wedding to be September 15, 2012. Sure hope that isn't the same date for ProgPower XIII. :confused:

I know. Crowd's gonna be might thin w/o us, lol. What happened to you in soccer, btw? As for the BG show, Ben's future in-laws are throwing an engagement party for him and his fiance on the 21st in San Diego, so we'll be there. They also announced the date of the wedding to be September 15, 2012. Sure hope that isn't the same date for ProgPower XIII. :confused:

We will all miss you at Blind Guardian. Mighty congrats to Ben and his fiancee for the engagement.

However, as the bearer of the bad news, I am sorry to say that...

" North America's premier progressive and power metal event returns to Center Stage in Atlanta, Georgia Sept. 14-17th, 2011."

Today doesn't seem like a good day for anyone, huh? :erk:

A few last-minute questions for locals:

1) How easy are taxi cabs to take from the Gramercy to Penn Station and vice-versa, and how much would it cost?
2) If worst comes to absolute worst, are there any decent hostels in the area? (alternatively: anyone from the Middlesex/Hartford county areas of CT who are going who'd be willing to give a ride back if I provide appropriate gas money? :cry:)

If it comes down to it I might be able to e-mail the people who run the competition I won and ask them to release the tickets - I'd really hate to see them go to waste. I had everything set a few days ago and it all sort of fell apart, haha.

Today doesn't seem like a good day for anyone, huh? :erk:

A few last-minute questions for locals:

1) How easy are taxi cabs to take from the Gramercy to Penn Station and vice-versa, and how much would it cost?
2) If worst comes to absolute worst, are there any decent hostels in the area? (alternatively: anyone from the Middlesex/Hartford county areas of CT who are going who'd be willing to give a ride back if I provide appropriate gas money? :cry:)

If it comes down to it I might be able to e-mail the people who run the competition I won and ask them to release the tickets - I'd really hate to see them go to waste. I had everything set a few days ago and it all sort of fell apart, haha.

First of all, where in CT are you? Penn Station, really? We usually get to NYC by train (Metronorth). There's a few train stations (even on the CT/NY border) that are easy to drive to and trains run real late. Unless you have no car, you shouldn't have a hard time getting to a station.

Cabs in NYC are not that expensive. Last time I cab'd from GCT to the venue, it was around 6 bucks.

Plus, why Hostels when you can find 24hr open Pubs? :lol:

First of all, where in CT are you? Penn Station, really? We usually get to NYC by train (Metronorth). There's a few train stations (even on the CT/NY border) that are easy to drive to and trains run real late. Unless you have no car, you shouldn't have a hard time getting to a station.

Cabs in NYC are not that expensive. Last time I cab'd from GCT to the venue, it was around 6 bucks.

Plus, why Hostels when you can find 24hr open Pubs? :lol:

Ah, yeah, it'd be much cheaper/safer to get from New Haven to GCT than from Amtrak to Penn Station. :lol: Don't know why I didn't think of Metronorth before. I'm twenty minutes east of Middletown, so the closest train station is Meriden or Wallingford - and unfortunately, not only do I lack a car, but pubs probably wouldn't be an option since I'm 19 but look 16...

I might be able to make this work, though. We'll see. :Spin:

So, how'd it go last night? Who went? Did Akumu get to go and how did that work out? How was the band and how was the crowd? VERY disappointed I missed it.:(

I caught only the last song of Desdemon. A new one called INTO DARKNESS I think. Very good. The band from Florida, Absence or something? Wasn't really my style. Power Gloce was funny and entertaining. Surprisingly a mosh pit got going for them, and then later they had the crowd start a Russian Cossack Dance pit.

Firewind was excellent, and that is coming from someone who only owns one album and can't even name a single song off that album. So that tells you the mix was really good, the songs were entertaining, the band put on a great show, etc etc etc.

My favorite aspect being not gus G, but the keyboardist/guitarist. He was a real showman. Even soloing on keys with his right hand and guitar with his left at the same time.

Someone on Facebook provided this link to a live video from the NYC show on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JstkLYBxps&feature=player_embedded

My sister actually shot this video. I was standing right next to her.

It was a fantastic show. Crowd was probably around 400+ people I'd say. Not great, but better than it possibly could've been. Certainly didn't feel empty or anything.

Setlist:
01.The Ark of Lies
02.Head Up High
03.Destination Forever
-keyboard solo-
04.Angels Forgive Me
05.World on Fire
-guitar solo-
06.The Fire and the Fury
-drum solo-
07.Insanity
08.Chariot
09.My Loneliness
10.Mercenary Man
11.Brother's Keeper
12.Til the End of Time
13.Tyranny
Encore:
14.Heading For the Dawn
15.I Am the Anger
16.Falling to Pieces

My sister actually shot this video. I was standing right next to her.

It was a fantastic show. Crowd was probably around 400+ people I'd say. Not great, but better than it possibly could've been. Certainly didn't feel empty or anything.

Setlist:
01.The Ark of Lies
02.Head Up High
03.Destination Forever
-keyboard solo-
04.Angels Forgive Me
05.World on Fire
-guitar solo-
06.The Fire and the Fury
-drum solo-
07.Insanity
08.Chariot
09.My Loneliness
10.Mercenary Man
11.Brother's Keeper
12.Til the End of Time
13.Tyranny
Encore:
14.Heading For the Dawn
15.I Am the Anger
16.Falling to Pieces

250-300 people in Montreal yesterday I'd say. Exact same setlist, save for Chariot which wasn't played for some reason (a shame, as it's one of my faves from Days Of Defiance). Great show. Apollo rules, as do Gus and Bob Katsionis. Bigger reaction for the mosh pit: I Am The Anger.

The t-shirts looked great and were affordable at $15. However, no XL remained so I could not buy one. Just too bad. Bands should bring on more stuff.