First leg of the Spiffy World Tour comes to an end

Spiff

I have the power
Apr 14, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
Well, I'm back in Brisbane after a gruelling, marathon-ish trip from London which lasted almost 31 hours. Some things I might mention, in no particular order:

* I may be the first Bridgeman to have circumnavigated the globe (not just going to the other side of the world and back, I mean actually going AROUND the world, Magellan style). In April I went from Brisbane to Tokyo to London. Earlier this week I went from London to Los Angeles to Auckland to Brisbane. The world seems like a very small place now!

* I spent 2 hours in LA, and I didn't get shot. Granted, I stayed in the airport, but still...

* Saw a security guard at Heathrow with a huge muthatrucka of a gun. Quite intimidating.

* From LA to Auckland I had 3 seats to myself, which meant I could lay down and get some sleep. Unfortunately, whenever I decided to try and sleep the plane would experience turbulence... lots of turbulence. I got about 1 hour of sleep. I was hoping "A Beautiful Mind" would put me to sleep for the full 12 hours, but it was the third movie shown, so it wasn't really worth it. God, I hate that movie.

* Bought a large fries and large Coke at Burger King in LA International Airport (where the big jet engines rooooaaaaar) and it cost me about $US4.50. That's about $8 in real money. How do these companies sleep at night?? In beds covered in $100 bills, probably.

* Flying to LA, I had the theme tune to the classic 90s sitcom "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" in my head ("So I rolled up to the house 'round 7 or 8 an' I said to the cabbie, 'Yo homes, smell ya later!'..." that line was repeating over and over).

I've wondered if this trip can be deemed a failure, and then I had a wee think about it. I've travelled all around the world. I flew over Greenland, which I never thought I'd do (lots of snow and ice and mountains, if you're wondering). I flew over mountains, deserts, oceans, icebergs, forests and cities in a matter of hours. If doing stuff like that constitutes a failed trip, then I'll take ten!

Failure? Ive sat on my ass in my bedroom the whole time and you think going half way around the world and seeing a shitload of stuff is a failure? Bah! :D

Eight dollars for a large fries and coke?... They must have put the prices up to scare away terrorists :eek:

Glad you made it back ok :D

$4.50US ain't too bad, it'd cost about £4.50 for the same here I think... gotta love those huge-arse burgers at burger king, tho!

I was wondering whether you were going to do a Mr Bean at LA, with the finger under the jacket trick, and make the LA security monkeys think you were up to no good ;)

No real plans as yet. I'm going to have a month off, then I have to return to the UK to go to some bloke's wedding, and then... well, I'll come back home again, but I don't know how long I'll stay over there yet. Probably a couple of weeks.

But I'm notorious for leaving everything til the last minute! I can't let anyone down, can I??

Nah, don't want to spend too much time in the UK - I'm much more comfortable in Australia. Best country in the world, even if few decent bands ever tour Australia!

Speaking of which - any word on decent gigs in the next few months?

No word at all sadly Spiffy :cry:

Leaving everything to the last minute means more time to laze around, and thats got to be good :)

It's in November this year.

The guys tell me it's later so it doesn't clash with HSC exams and stuff like that. Dunno the exact date yet, but I'd say after a few more bands are confirmed they'll post it up (unless they have already and I haven't seen it!)