First Listen of perfection....

The first time I heard Opeth I was at a cousins house for the summer and the song When from MAYH was on some sort of Relapse compilation or something similar. I heard that and I have been hooked ever since.

the first time i heard opeth was wen i was like 13!, im 18 now, the song was to bid you farewell and i fell in love withthe band ever since then.

my mate gave me a tape of still life wen it first came out and within a month the tape was warped so mike's screams sounded 10 times longer than they are already :D

Perfection would certainly be one way of putting it!

I first heard Opeth after reading a rather emphatic review in the Plastichead mail-order catalogue and my first thoughts...? Well, I was used to listening to a lot of early Black Metal as well as a lot of progressive rock, so when I heard the music, and especially the vocals, it was like I had found a combination of the the two genres of music I loved the most.

From that moment I was hooked and they rapidly became one of my favourite bands of all time! Iwent out and bought Orchid & Morningrise and the releases of Still Life & Blackwater Park have caused much anticipation!!

Unfortunately I missed them the last time they were here in the UK, so I looking forward to seeing them this year (hint, hint ;) ) in every venue I can possibly get to! :D

I first downloaded "Silhouette" via Napster. Then I downloaded "Requiem". Message to all those who are unfamiliar with Opeth: those two songs are not an accurate representation of Opeth. I bought my first Opeth album, "Orchid", from Border's Books and Music in Northridge in Novembre of 2000, since it had those two songs on it. Truthfully, I normally hate growling in Metal, since, up until that point in time, I had only heard stupid crap hack bands like Cannibal Corpse, Slayer, Slipknot, stuff like that. So I never liked growling, but I've always just sort of known that there was a proper way to growl. A proper "growling method", if you will. I had no idea what "proper growling" was supposed to sound like, but I knew that whatever it was, nobody I had heard knew how to do it. Then I heard "In Mist She Was Standing". I immediately thought, "that's how you do it...". This was my first true Opeth exposure. First I was in shock, then I was in awe. Within 10 seconds, I liked them, and within 5 minutes, I was a die-hard Opeth freak. I went on to order "Morningrise" and "MAYH" through Century Media mail order, and, to my utter shock, I got "Still Life" and "Blackwater Park" from The Wherehouse (what I used to call "The Mtv of music stores) of all places. The music never grows old. Every time I listen to it, it always bursts with electricity. This was how I got onto Opeth.

I can't remember for the life of me when I first heard of Opeth, but the name stuck. I think it was on the Candlelight website. When I was visiting family in St. Louis, I found MAYH for something like $10.99 US.. Listened to it that night and fell in love with the concept (the whole last-word-title thing). The dual-guitars and driving beats which kindly gave way to the softer passages. I loved it. To death.
I found morningrise a few months later back home, for something like $30 Canadian. My circle of friends wasn't really into metal, with a few exceptions, and to date, none of them are into Opeth. Which pisses me off, really.

Anyway, I ordered Orchid from cdplus.com, and found the others when they came out. Love all of them differently now, and I find they have more repeat value than pretty much anyone. MAYH was my favourite, but I like morningrise and still life quite a lot. Not to demean the others! Just a preference :)