First Opeth Purchase?

BWP or Still Life
Then the other one
Then Morningrise + Orchid
Then Deliverance + Damnation
End with MAYH .

AceRoccola said:
Well, the only reason i don't just get Orchid is that i've heard it isn't as good as the rest of their stuff, and i don't want to start out with a lesser album or anything..
trust me, you won't be happy without Orchid :D
it may be lyrically immature but it has some killer songs

I can't believe no one's said My Arms, Your Hearse. Fucking BRILLIANT display of Opeth's ability to put a concept to an album, and in my eyes, no less a good starting point than Blackwater Park.

Oh FFS! :yell:

If you've already said you'll be getting al of Opeths works in short order, wouldn't it be better to get the albums in chronological order so you can experience the progression of the band!!? :eek:

Get Orchid Dammit!! :mad:

Orchid isn't very accessible.....I'd probably recommend Morningrise first....

My Arms Your Hearse is best though, and if it clicks with you properly, it will get hundreds of listens from you.

Blackwater Park and Still Life are both incredible too.

Deliverance and Damnation are not good starting points.

Scourge of Malice said:
Morningrise :) .. its how "The Jester Race" is to In Flames and how "Slaughter of the Soul" is the At the Gates
...and what "Master Of Puppets" is for Metallica and "Reign In Blood" for Slayer, I fully agree, but I would still advise to buy BWP first, cause Morningrise, however supreme, doesn't give a good crossection of the band's current sound.

BWP is the best one to start with I think.

Spike said:
Oh FFS! :yell:

If you've already said you'll be getting al of Opeths works in short order, wouldn't it be better to get the albums in chronological order so you can experience the progression of the band!!? !:eek:

Get Orchid Dammit!! :mad:
Gotta agree with this too, when you buy another album first, you might not appreciate the first albums, cause you get "too" used to their new sound... So yeah, get "Orchid" first :).

MadTinus said:
...and what "Master Of Puppets" is for Metallica and "Reign In Blood" for Slayer, I fully agree, but I would still advise to buy BWP first, cause Morningrise, however supreme, doesn't give a good crossection of the band's current sound.

BWP is the best one to start with I think.

And? they are still the best ones?
So what your saying is no one should suggest Morningrise cause its not a coressection of the bands current sound?

I think i'll get bwp and/or Still Life...just because of all the Nu-Metal kids want bwp comments :Smug:

I see suggestions to get bwp and i see orders that tell me to Orchid...and nothing pisses me off more than someone ordering me around..

Not that anyone cares TOO much, but i finally got out to the record store today. The filthy sons a bitches didn't ahve Still Life(or anything previous for that matter) so i ws left with Blackwater Park, Deliverance, and Damnation. I bought Blackwater Park and Deliverance, naturally, as well as some Arch Enemy and Strapping Young Lad. Haven't started on them yet cause its late and i want to be able to play them louder than i can right now lol.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the help, even if the bastards didn't leave me much choice...