First powerlifting meet yesterday...

Dudes be careful with that accutane shit, I've seen commercials recently in the U.S. to get people in on lawsuits against the company that makes it

I agree and disagree with you guys on the low bf% thing, on one hand I can see how you're never gonna pack the weight on if you don't eat and abs on a skinny guy just makes them look like an african child, on the other hand I think half these powerlifters just look like colossal fat shits that could use dropping twenty pounds so they don't look like utter vegetables. Being able to bench 500lbs or whatever is cool but looking like a fat fuck, not being able to tie your shoelaces or jog twenty yards is most definitely lame.

I come from a different school of thought though, lifting HYOOGE amounts of weight isnt something that's particularly useful to me on a daily basis, the only time I lift anything is when I go to get my shopping, I'd rather look ripped to fuck and reap the benefits that come with that.

The goal is to be un-rapeable.
My goal is 260lbs now.
Always aiming to get as strong as humanly possible, and I aim to do it with the least amount of fat. Somewhere in the 12-15% range I'd say.

Abs are super important in most of the big lifts so it's important they get a blasting but the whole douchey "6pack" thing is gayer than AIDS.
The other side is true too though. 20 inch arms are cool but if you're fucking 30% bodyfat who gives a fuck. Go choke on a snickers bar fucktard.

Every power lifter I have seen has looked super strong. Some were fat too. They are indeed a physcial extreme in the same way a marathon runner is the extreme of enudrance sports.

My recommendation is to measure the success of your workout routines by your increased perfomance, not the way you look. If your lifting weights for stength measure how much your lifts go up after 6-8 weeks. If your into runnging keep track of increases in your run times etc.

If your just working out to pick up chicks, stop and join a gigging cover band instead.

As for gaining mass weight training. It is really really hard for a skinny dude to gain significant muscle mass without gaining some fat along with it. That is why bodybuilders have bulking cycles of training and cutting cyclyes.

I just wanna look like Van Damme :lol: But obviously I've gotta get as beefy as him before I can get as cut, so I have no problem with a bit of fat until I break 300 on the bench and squat (some time next year if I'm lucky :loco: )

EDIT: Though I don't think I'll be shaving my chest, at least not regularly - I dunno, kinnnda gay :lol:

The only powerlifters who are fat fucks are the ones in the top end weight class. Any lifter who actually has a weight class with a top limit is not even close to fat.

This is what a strong and in shape dude looks like:
LeanJimWEndler.jpg

I want to be strong and in shape and look strong and in shape, no interest in looking like a Calvin Klein model homo.

I don't want to look like Benedikt Magnusson:
409794.1076538183498.benni2.jpg

...but he's basically the strongest motherfucker on the planet so I can't give him a hard time for being fat when that's what it takes to be the best at his sport.

Every power lifter I have seen has looked super strong. Some were fat too. They are indeed a physcial extreme in the same way a marathon runner is the extreme of enudrance sports.

My recommendation is to measure the success of your workout routines by your increased perfomance, not the way you look. If your lifting weights for stength measure how much your lifts go up after 6-8 weeks. If your into runnging keep track of increases in your run times etc.

If your just working out to pick up chicks, stop and join a gigging cover band instead.

As for gaining mass weight training. It is really really hard for a skinny dude to gain significant muscle mass without gaining some fat along with it. That is why bodybuilders have bulking cycles of training and cutting cyclyes.

+1000 to all of this. I measure my progress in the weight room by pounds on the bar, not inches on the waist. If you are strong and in shape, you will look strong and in shape. But I just can't get into looking at your abs in the mirror everyday and hoping your jeans fit a little looser. Losing weight if you are obese is great, good for you, of course. But look good by being a badass, not a douchey gym bro.

Last edited:
I agree with being strong, but I don't see a problem with trying to look halfway decent. What's "gay" about wanting to look good? I mean at least physically. My face is....a lost cause haha

And yeah I do calf raises so what. No point in having weak stick calves. My body wants to be thin and weak looking so I combat that with total body bullshit.

This is all very interesting to me because in Scotland being gay is when you stick your cock in another mans arse.

Sorry, but IMO that bearded dude's traps are a little ridiculous, any non-powerlifting enthusiast would classify that in the "freaky" category!

To be clear, right now I'm totally in the "increase numbers above all else" mentality, and will be almost certainly through the rest of this year; I guess I'm saying I don't expect to always be that way, cuz I don't really aspire to be a powerlifter - I just want to look like Dolph Lundgren :lol:

I agree with being strong, but I don't see a problem with trying to look halfway decent. What's "gay" about wanting to look good? I mean at least physically. My face is....a lost cause haha

And yeah I do calf raises so what. No point in having weak stick calves. My body wants to be thin and weak looking so I combat that with total body bullshit.

I would be lying if I said I didn't care at all about how I look, don't get me wrong! But training for me is a lot more enjoyable to look at as a skill I'm trying to improve rather than some pursuit of vanity and trying to see how sexy I can look... Oogling other dudes bodies and wishing I looked like them is what I think is a bit off, haha... I just want to be a strong and athletic dude who feels healthy and great, and being strong and athletic usually means you look strong and athletic too which is a welcome side affect.

Body building is not something that interests me in the slightest, posing in a thong for other dudes to judge how you look is definitely strange, I dunno. Training purely for aesthetic purposes is what I think is lame I guess. Everyone wants to look their best but getting caught up and obsessed with your appearance is a little pathetic, I dunno. I like feeling like I look good and the extra confidence it gives me but I get way more stoked about smashing a squat PR in the gym than I do about how sexy I look in my Under Armor compression shirt in the mirror after my last set of curls.

And real men train their calves with power cleans :Smokedev: ;) Haha...

Sorry, but IMO that bearded dude's traps are a little ridiculous, any non-powerlifting enthusiast would classify that in the "freaky" category!

To be clear, right now I'm totally in the "increase numbers above all else" mentality, and will be almost certainly through the rest of this year; I guess I'm saying I don't expect to always be that way, cuz I don't really aspire to be a powerlifter - I just want to look like Dolph Lundgren :lol:

I definitely don't want people to think I am saying "get fat so you can get strong, who cares how much of a fat slob you are" because I'm not! But people are just so fucking obsessed with having a 6 pack even if it means they are a skinny weak fuck and it's a shame.

Eat healthy foods, lift heavy and stay conditioned and let your body weigh whatever it wants. I think the 12-15% BF range is plenty lean for anyone especially if you actually build a decent frame under it. The 170lb guys trying to cut to 8% are what is scary :S

I'm not a bodybuilder. I'm not a powerlifter. Unless you compete in these avenues I don't think it's right to say you are one. It's not like playing guitar where anyone that knows some chords can claim to be a guitarist.

I train because I enjoy it and I do enjoy the aesthetic properties of it. Maybe even a little moreso than the strength aspect. I don't shave and tan and stand onstage. I just want to get as large as I can and lift as much weight as I can and do it whilst looking fairly attractive hahaah.

I enjoy symmetry in my training. To me nothing looks weirder than untrained body parts. It just screams lazy to me.

I love the clean and press lately. My new favorite exercise.
I eat as much as I can and I stay consistent with my training and I let it happen. I would like to have more definition because it makes me feel better. I like not feeling like a slobby cunt. I don't think I look like a model or anythin. I'm packing a decent amount of "powerfat" myself.

I'm also not really built for power. I have to do what I can. It looks from your vid that you are decently gifted genetically for the sport..lucky bastard. Hhaha. Not to say you don't work hard as well. ;)

I'm sitting at around 18-19 per cent body fat right now and HATE IT.
Body fat for me goes to the waist/gut, breasts and face first, so when I take off my shirt, it looks like I have gyno (I actually don't) and my face is rounded than what it could be, and having a lean face is considered much more attractive.
Not really interested in cutting down to 6-7 per cent Fitness model/comp mode natural bodybuilder territory. You tend to lose strength below 9 per cent body fat too, another reason why I don't want to cut that low.
Don't care about abs so much, but want to be lean enough that my pseudo-gyno goes away and my face appears leaner and less round.

Tom Martin recently broke Ed Coans record for the deadlift for 181lb competition weight. No slouch in the squat and bench press either.
He's also a track athlete and because of that, stays quite lean (I recall him saying he was 10 per cent body fat a few months ago on bodybuilding.com in the powerlifting/strongman forum).
Definitely just one guy that proves you can be natural, strong as fuck and fairly lean without looking like the 'pretty boy' type that Adam hates :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a bodybuilder. I'm not a powerlifter. Unless you compete in these avenues I don't think it's right to say you are one. It's not like playing guitar where anyone that knows some chords can claim to be a guitarist.

I train because I enjoy it and I do enjoy the aesthetic properties of it. Maybe even a little moreso than the strength aspect. I don't shave and tan and stand onstage. I just want to get as large as I can and lift as much weight as I can and do it whilst looking fairly attractive hahaah.

I enjoy symmetry in my training. To me nothing looks weirder than untrained body parts. It just screams lazy to me.

I love the clean and press lately. My new favorite exercise.
I eat as much as I can and I stay consistent with my training and I let it happen. I would like to have more definition because it makes me feel better. I like not feeling like a slobby cunt. I don't think I look like a model or anythin. I'm packing a decent amount of "powerfat" myself.

I'm also not really built for power. I have to do what I can. It looks from your vid that you are decently gifted genetically for the sport..lucky bastard. Hhaha. Not to say you don't work hard as well. ;)

You're manly enough in my books brah, no worries, hahaha...

The clean and press kicks ass, I like doing it as a conditioning workout now and then with around 100lbs or so, tabata style. It will flatten you :lol:

I'm sitting at around 18-19 per cent body fat right now and HATE IT.
Body fat for me goes to the waist/gut, breasts and face first, so when I take off my shirt, it looks like I have gyno (I actually don't) and my face is rounded than what it could be, and having a lean face is considered much more attractive.
Not really interested in cutting down to 6-7 per cent Fitness model/comp mode natural bodybuilder territory. You tend to lose strength below 9 per cent body fat too, another reason why I don't want to cut that low.
Don't care about abs so much, but want to be lean enough that my pseudo-gyno goes away and my face appears leaner and less round.

Tom Martin recently broke Ed Coans record for the deadlift for 181lb competition weight. No slouch in the squat and bench press either.
He's also a track athlete and because of that, stays quite lean (I recall him saying he was 10 per cent body fat a few months ago on bodybuilding.com in the powerlifting/strongman forum).
Definitely just one guy that proves you can be natural, strong as fuck and fairly lean without looking like the 'pretty boy' type that Adam hates :lol:

I hear you on the gut, all my fat goes there, you couldn't pinch shit anywhere on my body except the belly :lol: Now that I'm done that meet I'm shifting my focus to be a bit more balanced between strength training and conditioning plus cleaning up my diet just for the sake of feeling better... No real interest at all in losing any weight (in fact I wouldn't mind gaining some) but excess fat is still wasted weight. I have a prowler sled at home so that will be getting some serious miles this summer, should be fun.

I've seen some of Tom Martin's videos before, friggin' strong dude, crazy watching such a tall dude with such long limbs deadlift so much weight!

Anyone interested should check out http://www.70sbig.com if you get a chance, great website about being big and awesome :lol:

I would be lying if I said I didn't care at all about how I look, don't get me wrong! But training for me is a lot more enjoyable to look at as a skill I'm trying to improve rather than some pursuit of vanity and trying to see how sexy I can look... Oogling other dudes bodies and wishing I looked like them is what I think is a bit off, haha... I just want to be a strong and athletic dude who feels healthy and great, and being strong and athletic usually means you look strong and athletic too which is a welcome side affect.

Body building is not something that interests me in the slightest, posing in a thong for other dudes to judge how you look is definitely strange, I dunno. Training purely for aesthetic purposes is what I think is lame I guess. Everyone wants to look their best but getting caught up and obsessed with your appearance is a little pathetic, I dunno. I like feeling like I look good and the extra confidence it gives me but I get way more stoked about smashing a squat PR in the gym than I do about how sexy I look in my Under Armor compression shirt in the mirror after my last set of curls.

And real men train their calves with power cleans :Smokedev: ;) Haha...

I definitely don't want people to think I am saying "get fat so you can get strong, who cares how much of a fat slob you are" because I'm not! But people are just so fucking obsessed with having a 6 pack even if it means they are a skinny weak fuck and it's a shame.

Eat healthy foods, lift heavy and stay conditioned and let your body weigh whatever it wants. I think the 12-15% BF range is plenty lean for anyone especially if you actually build a decent frame under it. The 170lb guys trying to cut to 8% are what is scary :S

Yeah don't get me wrong I like it when I'm adding more weight, I just don't feel obliged to compete with anyone on that level other than myself and the aesthetics thing - I dont really care what other guys look like, in general I just want to be the best that I can be.

I do agree with the whole oompa loompas in thongs thing though, I mean I'd take being your lardy looking powerlifter over Jay Cutler or equivalent carrot hulk orange bastard.

On the fat thing, I get mad love handles and a huge ass, I barely get any on my gut. I dunno where the fat arse comes from - mad black woman genes evidently.

And I am currently that 170lbs guy :lol: but as I'm only 5'8" I'm sure you can forgive that one.

@ those guys who don't care about abs.. have you ever had proper abs? It's kinda awesome getting up in the morning and seeing a full 6 pack and the rest of the body is equally ripped (bathroom has great lighting which helps). If you haven't had that then I can understand why you wouldn't care. Additionally, my face carries a lot of baby fat (apparently I look 17, at 21 even with a bit of stubble going :/ I think I look older so fuck em), so getting fatter would only make me look younger (plus, dat jaw). Additionally#2, I don't see the point in carrying any additional fat, especially if you want to be decent at 'athletics' in general, not just lifting. Weighing 200 pounds+ at 15% bodyfat would be awful for any sort of cardio I'd imagine, or most other athletics. Earlier this year, I climbed a tree using just my arms. I can only do that because the weight I'm carrying is almost all muscle.
Hence I'm aiming, atm, to get to about 170-75lbs at 8-10% body fat. Seems attainable, will provide me with a physique that not only looks badass but is good at ALL kinds of athletics.