First Single Announced!! and it's not forsaker

?? we dont call out bloodbath songs to discourage the band, more like try to have Akerfeldt make a joke about it (which he usually does) he thinks its pretty funny, escpecially if we get the entire venue chanting bloodbath.

Beneath the Mire > advent

Ghost of Predition a pop song? thats just blasphemy

and no im pretty it was more like, "yo can we put da lotus eater in dis sick azz game mr akerfeldt?" mike says "i dont fucking care" which imo is just as bad

and i absolutly DO NOT condemn any band for being less kvlt or tr00 or whatever, didnt i just GR was my favorite opeth album? omfg keyboard sellouts!!!11 its the point when a band reachs the point that they just release shit because they know it will sell that i dislike a band.

i do agree with your last point though

arrrogant.jpg

I totally understand where you're coming from. I think you guys are being to hard with him.
The same thing happened to me with some bands, like Within Temptation. One of my all time favorite goth/doom album is Within Temptations Enter.
I bet that 95% of WT fans nowadays don't know/had listen this album. The rest is history, they completely sell out to became some kinda Evanescence and make the big bucks. They write great "pop" songs, but Enter will always be their masterpiece for me.
Whats happening to you is the same thing, except that i don't think Opeth sell out, eheh. They're still pretty heavy and use the growls. But yes, the last album received alot of hype and i don't know why, because it doesn't compare to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th album by them.
But this is happening to me alot lately, so many bands that i love and that release good albums (acording to reviews), but that i just cant seem to like them as before.
My Dying Bride, Type o negative, Paradise Lost, all these bands had their masterpieces, i even love Paradises Lost Host, but i just cannot feel the same with their latest releases that i felt in the days of Gothic, Icon, Draconian Times, October Rust, Turn Loose the Swans, The Angel and the Dark River, etc etc.
Hell, TGCD by Katatonia is highly acclaimed everywhere i look, and even though i like the album alot, it doesn't compare to my love for BVD, DO, TD, and LFDGD.

I guess the problem is me. Anyway, i have gone completely off topic with this, sorry.
And forgive my English, its not my native language. Anyway its better than your Portuguese. :p

I'm with you on Within Temptation there..

Just watch the Black Symphony DVD. While being a very cool, pompous bombastfest the crowd is just... bad... an event like the Black Symphony should have people going bloody insane but no.. totally wrong crowd for that. Pity really.

Good thing though is that we can all enjoy what they did. And annoying fans should never be an obstancle to go to a concert of a band you like(ed).

I totally understand where you're coming from. I think you guys are being to hard with him.
The same thing happened to me with some bands, like Within Temptation. One of my all time favorite goth/doom album is Within Temptations Enter.
I bet that 95% of WT fans nowadays don't know/had listen this album. The rest is history, they completely sell out to became some kinda Evanescence and make the big bucks. They write great "pop" songs, but Enter will always be their masterpiece for me.

This is off-topic. But I have to completely disagree here. Within Temptation (my current favorite band for 4 years) improved just as much as Katatonia did. ENTER had 4 decent songs on it. "Enter", "Restless", "Pearls Of Light" and "Candles". Everything else (to me) on that album was garbage. Within Temptation has a beautiful sounding vocalist and I hated how they always had the guy puking out death growls over her. The best move that they ever did was getting him to shut up. As I have said before, I cannot recognize grunting/growling as any type of "singing" or even "music". If I want to hear growling, then I will just tease my dog. I completely applaud Within Temptation from moving away from that style. I discovered them the exact same way I did Katatonia. I heard Within Temptation several years earlier but the grunting ruined them. I shoved them to the side and never listened again until someone suggested I check out THE SILENT FORCE several years later. I did and was completely blown away by their growth and went back and ordered MOTHER EARTH and ENTER and was very disappointed with ENTER. MOTHER EARTH grew on me over time though (minus "The Promise"...I still hate that song). So in my opinion Within Temptation (and Katatonia) changed for the better, while sadly bands like Lacuna Coil seem to be changing for the worse.

Battlelore is just one more (of the countless potentially fantastic bands) who needs to make their grunter be quiet. The music and female vocals in that band are outstanding but the grunts completely slaughter any appeal that the band would have for me. It literally makes me feel sick when I hear grunting/growling. I cannot fathom how any human being can find enjoyment in such an unpleasant, horrible type of audible vomit. I suppose some people can only find peace in brutal sounding chaos and noise. It's the main reason why I listen to a lot of mainstream bands. They are nowhere near as talented as most metal bands (musically) but their vocalists are far more appealing to me than most of the current metal music out there. I cannot take any song seriously that uses Cookie Monster vocals. I thank God that Katatonia stopped that stuff and learned to actually sing and now they are all the better for it. I can only hope that other great bands will take some influence from them and do the same.
Jack

well.
growls are an acquired taste.for me they are simply another way of adding to the music.

George Carlin said that Singing is basically a form of pleasant controlled screaming and that screaming seems a better way of delivering emotion; and I think he's right. Yes, singing is indeed very emotional. But some things just have to be screamed.

Or growled. Imagine a Death Metal or Gorgrind band exclusively doing clean vox. With them lyrics, it just wouldn't work..^^

This is off-topic. But I have to completely disagree here. Within Temptation (my current favorite band for 4 years) improved just as much as Katatonia did. ENTER had 4 decent songs on it. "Enter", "Restless", "Pearls Of Light" and "Candles". Everything else (to me) on that album was garbage. Within Temptation has a beautiful sounding vocalist and I hated how they always had the guy puking out death growls over her. The best move that they ever did was getting him to shut up. As I have said before, I cannot recognize grunting/growling as any type of "singing" or even "music". If I want to hear growling, then I will just tease my dog. I completely applaud Within Temptation from moving away from that style. I discovered them the exact same way I did Katatonia. I heard Within Temptation several years earlier but the grunting ruined them. I shoved them to the side and never listened again until someone suggested I check out THE SILENT FORCE several years later. I did and was completely blown away by their growth and went back and ordered MOTHER EARTH and ENTER and was very disappointed with ENTER. MOTHER EARTH grew on me over time though (minus "The Promise"...I still hate that song). So in my opinion Within Temptation (and Katatonia) changed for the better, while sadly bands like Lacuna Coil seem to be changing for the worse.

Battlelore is just one more (of the countless potentially fantastic bands) who needs to make their grunter be quiet. The music and female vocals in that band are outstanding but the grunts completely slaughter any appeal that the band would have for me. It literally makes me feel sick when I hear grunting/growling. I cannot fathom how any human being can find enjoyment in such an unpleasant, horrible type of audible vomit. I suppose some people can only find peace in brutal sounding chaos and noise. It's the main reason why I listen to a lot of mainstream bands. They are nowhere near as talented as most metal bands (musically) but their vocalists are far more appealing to me than most of the current metal music out there. I cannot take any song seriously that uses Cookie Monster vocals. I thank God that Katatonia stopped that stuff and learned to actually sing and now they are all the better for it. I can only hope that other great bands will take some influence from them and do the same.
Jack
I'm sorry but you're just being an ignorant selfcentered moron,that's why I hate Nu Metal elitists:erk:

I don't think I could consider myself a nu-metal elitist. I do like some nu-metal bands for sure, but lately I am actually becoming bored with them. However, I need you to explain how me giving my opinion of hating grunts/growls in rock music is being self-centered? I could actually call you ignorant as well for stating that anyone who listens to nu-metal bands is a 'nu-metal elitist'.
Jack

You know FlawedCoil82, Katatonia hasn't exactly moved away from growls, they still play Murder live with Jonas doing the growled vocals. I just can't take you seriously with so many terrible generic commercial rock bands in your signature.

I can already tell based on the album cover that it will sound like some constipated demon on an acid trip. **pushing play**. I mean do people seriously consider this music? I can vomit into a microphone and get this exact same sound. In fact, I wish I had a microphone so I could record my voice doing death grunts like this. It is not hard to do since I already have a very deep voice and can manipulate my throat for that disgusting guttural sound. I use it to make fun of bands like this with my brother whenever we turn on the Heavy Metal station on Time Warner's Music Choice just for some laughs.
Jack

You know FlawedCoil82, Katatonia hasn't exactly moved away from growls, they still play Murder live with Jonas doing the growled vocals. I just can't take you seriously with so many terrible generic commercial rock bands in your signature.

And when he does those songs, that's when I would be taking a bathroom break. :) Seriously though, I have no choice but to listen to a lot of mainstream bands because their vocalists actually sing. That's a sacrifice I am willing to make as long as they realize that music should have a certain amount of beauty and melody in it. Not just some hateful guy with no appreciation for melody barfing in my ears. :puke:
Jack

And when he does those songs, that's when I would be taking a bathroom break. :) Seriously though, I have no choice but to listen to a lot of mainstream bands because their vocalists actually sing. That's a sacrifice I am willing to make as long as they realize that music should have a certain amount of beauty and melody in it. Not just some hateful guy with no appreciation for melody barfing in my ears. :puke:
Jack

Yeah because there is no bands out there who use growls and have beautiful and melodic music... Oh wait there is tons of them! Have you heard of a little band called Opeth? Or what about Swallow The Sun? Agalloch? Ikuinen Kaamos? October Tide? And what about the band named Katatonia? Ever heard of them? I could go on and on with this but fuck it! You are an idiot.

Why can't we all just get along?:Smug:

Anyways, I used to be the same way about those kinds of vocals, but now I can put up with them and respect them. I still can't listen to bands with solely death vocals, but bands like Opeth and Orphaned Land are among my favorites. People have a wide taste in music so get over the fact that some people listen to stuff you can't stand...it's not worth arguing over on a forum on the internet.:)

...anyways now for a weak attempt to get back on topic....I wonder how soon until they release the single/video since the album is now out in someplaces...still waiting for mine:(

Yeah because there is no bands out there who use growls and have beautiful and melodic music... Oh wait there is tons of them! Have you heard of a little band called Opeth? Or what about Swallow The Sun? Agalloch? Ikuinen Kaamos? October Tide? And what about the band named Katatonia? Ever heard of them? I could go on and on with this but fuck it! You are an idiot.

Once they bring in the death growls though, that is when I lose interest. I liked DAMNATION by Opeth but nothing else worked. I don't like the contrast between melodic vocals and grunts. It sounds like (for lack of a better visual description) if someone walked into an art museum and threw a bucket of paint all over the masterpiece paintings, ruining them forever. That is what grunting/growling does to every song that it appears in for me. The song "The Justice Of Suffering" by Swallow The Sun would have been fantastic because I LOVE the chorus with Jonas. But all the nonsense I have to listen to in order to get to those choruses is what I don't like. Most of the time I just skip straight to the choruses and bridge.

Soundjunkie, when was I ever ahead? I am well aware that I am within the lions' den here since I am in the very small minority on this forum. That's why it bothers me that such a fantastic, melodic band like Katatonia remains hidden within a flood of bands who typically would never appeal to anyone outside of the underground heavy/death/black metal scene. 99% of the bands within these genres I am more than happy to let metalheads keep to themselves. But Katatonia is definitely something special.

Bound2fate, I actually agree. I will just keep my opinions to myself from now on since I will not be able to change anyone's opinions about music and vice versa. The important thing is that we all love Katatonia and should just agree to disagree on everything else except them. :)

But yes, I do wonder when they will be releasing the music video for it. And if there will be a b-side track on the single. I hope not because then it will make me angry knowing it is missing from the album and suddenly remind me that the album is incomplete. :mad:
Jack

Jack

Ok, but this is a metal forum, and you're not really a metal fan, are you?
Growls are part of metal. And the growls in Enter were BEAUIFUL, they were the perfect companion to her voice. Like in Theatre of Tragedy and such great goth/doom bands.
So in your opinion they evolved, in my they sell out. They are still great songwriters, but they write POP SONGS with some distortion in the guitars.
It suits you because its not really METAL. But i love metal, and Enter was beautiful all the way through. And the fact that you dont put Deep Within in the lot of amazing songs in Enter amazes me.

So, in conclusion, all this discussion with you here is pointless. The thing is that you're not a metal fan. A band doesnt "evolve" when they stop the growls. I have completely different opinion about you in music. For me 80% is about the music, 20% about the vocals. There are many bands that when i heard them the first time i hjated because of the vocals (clean vocals). My dying bride, novembre, to name a few. after their MUSIC got to me they turned how to be some of my favourites. I love Stainthorpes voice now, but i still hate Novembres vocalists voice. But i love the band because i love their music, and i can aprreciate the band as a whole, i dont let the voice ruin it for me. Hell, i prefer a voice i dont like doing great harmonies that a beautiful voice that doesnt musically moves me.

Katattonia let go of the growls and i still love them. WT no. They are not a metal band anymore. And even though i love many non metal stuff, it tends to be sad stuff, different stuff. And WT are in it for the big bucks, and even though their songs have quality, that happy jumping shit just doesnt do anything for me anymore.