First time mic'ing up a real amp+cab, help me out here!

Morgan C

MAX LOUD PRESETS¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
So I finally got to mic up a real amp and cab yesterday. Minus one time where I mic'd up the back of a Line6 amp with a Beta52, this was my first time.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/EnglGuitar.mp3

Details:
ENGL 4x12 amp
SM57
ENGL.. Powerball I think, I'll confirm later.
Guitar is some expensive Japanese brand, will get more details later.

Recording setup was as follows:
We were just using the guy's equipment, and he didn't have a proper mic stand, so we literally lay it horizontally on a chair.. not much choice there. However, there were some pretty major differences moving the mic around, and we got a pretty good position.
The room is big and not very parallel.. it's an architects house. However, it had solid wood floors and pretty bare walls, no treatment. Do you think that it'd be better to record in this room or a small one covered in mattresses/blankets?
Finally, master was only on like 1 because this was done @ 7pm at night. Dunno if there's a big difference raising the volume.

Not going for a typical metal tone here, and I'm not gonna get a 5150 sound with an Engl. The music is kinda industrial, melodic.. hard to describe. Interesting.

edit: no EQ on the clip. I think there's a highpass/lowpass at 80 and 12k but I'm not sure whether it was bypassed or not, it sounds like its on.

The low end sounds odd to me. Sounds like a big cloud underneath the guitar, I'm not sure what that is but you might look into it.

Finally, master was only on like 1 because this was done @ 7pm at night. Dunno if there's a big difference raising the volume.

Short answer: yes

Sort-of long answer: grab some read on attenuators and tube power amp section, you'll be glad you did in the long run. It's not just a matter of quieter/louder on tube amps

that's indeed a bit weird sounding, even for the PB.

almost like there's the DI signal running along with a lowpassed highly distorted signal.

Have you tried the other speakers in the cab as well?

A good start might be knowing what amp you're working with :lol:
I listened last night and it didn't sound very good (Couldn't download it now)... To me it sounded like it was going through a tubescreamer twice

that's indeed a bit weird sounding, even for the PB.

almost like there's the DI signal running along with a lowpassed highly distorted signal.

Have you tried the other speakers in the cab as well?

The master was only on 1, so the 'DI signal' is probably bleed from the actual guitar being played alongside. You can also hear some drum bleed at the end. I'll need to try with much higher master volume.
There's a lowpass but its only at like 12k.. I might need to play with the mic position a bit.
Didn't get to try the other speakers in the cab just yet.

A good start might be knowing what amp you're working with :lol:
I listened last night and it didn't sound very good (Couldn't download it now)... To me it sounded like it was going through a tubescreamer twice

:/
No tubescreamers. I'm not even sure whether to use a tubescreamer or not.. they tend to make it more djenty and that's really not what this amp needs.

Can't really say what is wrong with these. Only reason I am commenting is because I have a similar issue when I mic my Engl and I don't know what it is so would be interested in a solution as well. I have played with the mic position for some time now and it always has that "boxy" kind of sound to it that I can't seem to fix. My master is set at about 1.5 so that could be a problem but anything past that makes my windows rattle lol.