first time using drum kit from hell & 5150

Apr 18, 2008
first time using drum kit from hell demoing a song for my brothers band.i posted a sample of the song... im really proud of this so far

i think we got a pretty nasty sound out of it, we replaced basically everything but the cymbals

guitars are 1 take each side 5150, peavy windsor cab w/ v30's mics 57/equation102mix 50/50 blend c4, eq on parallel bus no other processing...

bass di/impulses

im really liking this tone

i kinda wish the overheads sounded a little more real ....imo i really didint expect this to sound this good when we started dkfh

www.soundclick.com/seven40studios

Cut everything below 30 to 35hz. I sometimes cut at 50hz. Depends on how the bass drum and bass guitar are sitting in the mix. We need that low end so we can feel the bass, bass drum and the snare crack. To much metal today has lost that low end. Especially the kick and snare.

i bounced down the wrong mix that was a headphone mix i accidenially put up.. im bouncing the right mix now yes and was hp at around 100hz to allow for a louder headphone mix...

i still have to mix it -. we just finished tracking at 1:30am

i was excited,so i posted a clip of what it sounded like right after tracking

Better low end. I agree about the kick. Im not one for a clicky kick (its personal taiste). But it is a few db too loud. The low end is alot better :) How are you triggering the drums. With a midi keyboard controller ? The cymbals need the velocity upped.

Better low end. I agree about the kick. Im not one for a clicky kick (its personal taiste). But it is a few db too loud. The low end is alot better :) How are you triggering the drums. With a midi keyboard controller ? The cymbals need the velocity upped.

the more velocity on the cymbals the more they sound triggered a few volume adjustments and some automation should take care of it when i get to mixing

we use guitar pro for writing and transfer the midi to dkfh seamless transfers of the drums.. i also have a 61key triton and 88 key fantom we use to trigger drums alot...

the kicks does need to come down a bit.. thats the drummers kick from his kit as well as the snare and the toms im trying to keep it as close to the sound they normally have there not really fans of programmed drums...there drummer is top notch, can play every thign just like a machine if he wants to..

i would have like to use a deeper kick but ya know do what needs to be done to make someone else happy ...

I can relate. I try to keep people out of the mixing room when I mix. Bass players and drummers are always fighting over space. :)

I can relate. I try to keep people out of the mixing room when I mix. Bass players and drummers are always fighting over space. :)

you are not kidding i end up having the bass peaking at 0 if the bass player is sitting in the room as i mix

i do unattended mixing sessions now, and only bring someone in if i feel like i need a member of the group there for something

99 percent of the time i never have a problem the other 1 percent. i got ppl that have never been to a studio trying to make mix decisions thinking there andy wallace in 5 minutes

i put the final version of the song up.. i have about a half hour in mixing it. I could have put more effort into the mix, but its only a pre-production track...

i did the least amt of plugin processing i have ever done on a mix trying a few different things to maintain the punch in the mix with the use of no plugs...
as a drawback i think i was a little heavy handed on the compression in the mastering process due to the amt of time i had to spend on it................

im really not found of the cymbals from dkfh especially on the 16th and 32nd notes..anyone know of any way to combat this????????

the whole process on this song was rushed to death .we had some free time from other sessions,and said fuck it lets try out some new toys kinda deal. They will be rerecording this again in less than a month ..............

let me know what ya think for 2 1/2 hours total time spent recording,mixing, and mastering ???

www.soundclick.com/seven40studios