Five Former Members Of In Flames Unite In The Halo Effect

Listened to the album a bit now, I wish I was as hyped as everyone else is about it =/
There are some real bangers though. The Needless End, Gateways and Last of Our Kind are the three really good tracks for me, especially the first two. It just feels to me personally it's to much same sounding stuff throughout the album. Plenty of melody to be found on the album, maybe I've just grown tired of that style of lead guitar playing. Like on Shadowminds and Days of the Lost, I just find it meh in the choruses etc, like I've heard it 500 times before already. I prefer tremolo riffs much more. I'm glad you old dogs like it though! It's a well written album within the genre, just personally didn't grab me as much as I'd hoped. But The Needless End for me is almost a perfect song. So I will for sure be listening to at least a couple of the songs regularly

Reactions: A88
Unfortunate my friend, but I think some people are realising this kind of music just isn't to their taste anymore. At least not in the same way it used to be, and that's fine. Tastes sometimes change as we grow older. Sometimes they don't. For some the older MDM stuff from the 90s/00s is enough and they don't need more. For some of us we still do want and appreciate having more top quality music in that vein.

That's similar to what it happens to me when listening to 80s Heavy Metal, or Trash Metal. The most of that is not for me anymore.

I liked fantasy/epic power metal back in the day. Nowadays even new albums in this style that get a lot of praise don't interest me much. That's the way it goes. Sometimes you just don't get the same buzz from something that you would have many years ago.

Yeah, it's normal. I'm having a bit of a problem with metal in general. I'm rarely excited by a new album or a new band these days.

Jesper Strömblad Official

Back in the studio. Riffs to be made
1f918.png

And again, thank you all for the fantastic response on our debut album. I'm so overwhelmed and grateful that we have the best supporters in the world
2764.png
1f91f.png

Good stuff.

Reactions: eochaid and DE4life
I still prefer metal over other genres. But I also feel that music, in general, is becoming less and less interesting.

The vast majority of music I listen to is from the 80s, 90s and 2000s. Songs I've been listening to for a really long time. In the past decade new stuff has been a trickle on top of what I already have. From an MDM perspective it feels like I already heard the pinnacle of the genre 20 years ago, so it's going to be difficult for anything new to even get close.

Reactions: eochaid
I managed to listen all new melodic death albums in the last few days.

- THE - excellent
- Arch Enemy - good or very good
- Soilwork - random Soilwork album #47, with some cool touches and a catchy song from time to time
- Amon Amarth - boring beyond belief

Amon Amarth is one of those bands that just hasn't evolved at all. It's like At The Gates. I don't think any of their stuff is bad per se, but it just isn't interesting anymore. When I listen to a new Amon Amarth song, the reaction is just "oh, yeah, that's Amon Amarth."

Amon Amarth is one of those bands that just hasn't evolved at all. It's like At The Gates. I don't think any of their stuff is bad per se, but it just isn't interesting anymore. When I listen to a new Amon Amarth song, the reaction is just "oh, yeah, that's Amon Amarth."

But I wanna hear Jester Race part 14!! That's what @eochaid said. :D

It's devastating the lack of new prominent bands when it come to.mwlodeath.

If we take a look at the "top" or most awaited albums from the genre (that are being or will he released in a near future) all of them (the members) are on their late 40s or 50s. And it's not as if the genre is not relevant, the fact that THE reached number 6 in Germany is evidence enough against it. It's more like... What's that? Lack of quality? Lack of new ideas? Maybe they're being too influenced by the dinosaurs to have a voice of their own? The new bands don't reach to everyone the same way as these "old guys" do.

In the end, it feels as if, once these old bands are over, melodeath will lie in the irrelevance.

Most bands just incorporate MDM into their sound now, as opposed to it being the core of their sound. There are very few bands who build their music specifically around MDM. Arch Enemy, Nightrage, Night In Gales, Be'lakor, Insomnium, Amon Amarth... all bands 15+ years old. Most newer bands are metalcore, deathcore, etc with MDM sprinked in here and there.

Listened to the album a bit now, I wish I was as hyped as everyone else is about it =/
There are some real bangers though. The Needless End, Gateways and Last of Our Kind are the three really good tracks for me, especially the first two. It just feels to me personally it's to much same sounding stuff throughout the album. Plenty of melody to be found on the album, maybe I've just grown tired of that style of lead guitar playing. Like on Shadowminds and Days of the Lost, I just find it meh in the choruses etc, like I've heard it 500 times before already. I prefer tremolo riffs much more. I'm glad you old dogs like it though! It's a well written album within the genre, just personally didn't grab me as much as I'd hoped. But The Needless End for me is almost a perfect song. So I will for sure be listening to at least a couple of the songs regularly

That's understandable. And I swear I think I'm damned to always think of Anaal Nathrakh before anything else when tremolo's brought up. They're pretty fantastic though, if nothing else.

Unfortunate my friend, but I think some people are realising this kind of music just isn't to their taste anymore. At least not in the same way it used to be, and that's fine. Tastes sometimes change as we grow older. Sometimes they don't. For some the older MDM stuff from the 90s/00s is enough and they don't need more. For some of us we still do want and appreciate having more top quality music in that vein.

I still prefer metal over other genres. But I also feel that music, in general, is becoming less and less interesting.

The vast majority of music I listen to is from the 80s, 90s and 2000s. Songs I've been listening to for a really long time. In the past decade new stuff has been a trickle on top of what I already have. From an MDM perspective it feels like I already heard the pinnacle of the genre 20 years ago, so it's going to be difficult for anything new to even get close.

I've gotten way more into shoegaze, hardcore, and extreme metal as time's gone on. I still absolutely love MDM, but other things like progressive metal, nu metal, and any sort of alt metal have just fallen by the wayside for me. I think there's absolutely a place for new, incredible MDM (And even stuff like classic rock and thrash, which are also long past their glory days), but nothing really quite reaches those heights anymore. Sure, something like Parasite Inc. is good, but... The musicianship just doesn't stack up to what we got from the older bands back in their prime, and I say that as someone who hadn't even been born at that point, so take that for what you will. They still very much have the passion- Even Anders and Bjorn- but they don't have that same sort of youth, drive, or creativity that they used to. There was a hunger to do whatever they wanted (Nordstrom also helped, but you get the picture). Dark Tranquillity, Arch Enemy, and Insomnium (Maybe a few others, but I can't think of them) carried the genre in the early 2000s, sure, but nobody else really elevated the music past those influences that would be taken into the second wave of metalcore. You don't get "Zombie Inc." or "Lethe" anymore, you mainly have stuff like "Pulse of the Dead" and "Stargazer Syndrome" from modern bands and "Shadowminds", "The Reticent", "Overgivenheten", and "Spectre of Extinction" from legacy bands. There's some awesome bands out there like Thousand Eyes and Orbit Culture these days, but they're still rather different from old school melodeath. I dunno, that's just my ramblings about all of this. I don't think I know all of it as well as you guys do, seeing as how you're much more knowledgeable about the MDM scene, but I'd like to believe I have basic idea of things, if nothing else. I'm just happy that THE's carrying the torch of the classic Gothenburg sound, even if it's rather safe in that regard.

Also, I'm not sure where else I'd get to talk about them, but Blood Stain Child's pretty fucking cool too. Idolator's definitely the best album to jump into if you like the Gothenburg sound, but it's far simpler with minor trance/EDM elements to counterbalance that. They tip the scale of MDM and electronic way further towards the latter later on, so just a heads up there. Their most electronic album (Which is my least favorite album of theirs, though it's their most popular one) is produced by Ettore of Disarmonia Mundi and features both members of the band. I also have to recommend Nebularium by Disarmonia Mundi as while their first outing isn't really described as melodeath, it is to me, and therefore it's my favorite MDM album and album overall of all time. Of course, the band completely changed their lineup after it because we can't have nice things. But I guess this is me getting rather off-topic.

Reactions: eochaid
There are some pretty solid Japanese MDM bands out there. The Japanese took to the genre a lot earlier than a lot of other places. Arch Enemy were very popular in Japan before they became popular elsewhere, and bands like IF and DT had Japanese tours really early on in their careers. In fact, one of the most well-known old school In Flames bootlegs is a Japanese show, Club Citta 1998. What I like about the Japanese MDM bands is that they tend to stck with the higher-pitched screaming/shrieking style of vocal, whereas American and European bands tend to favour the more shouty metalcore approach. I think the latter is easier on the voicebox long-term, but the former sounds way better to me in general.

Malice Mizer are a pretty cool Japanese band from the 90s and early 00s. They aren't MDM, more like gothic rock and metal, but I always thought they had a really unique and interesting sound.

As is often the case with Japanese bands they go in heavy on the performance aspect as well, which some will love and others will think is ridiculous.

There are some pretty solid Japanese MDM bands out there. The Japanese took to the genre a lot earlier than a lot of other places. Arch Enemy were very popular in Japan before they became popular elsewhere, and bands like IF and DT had Japanese tours really early on in their careers. In fact, one of the most well-known old school In Flames bootlegs is a Japanese show, Club Citta 1998. What I like about the Japanese MDM bands is that they tend to stck with the higher-pitched screaming/shrieking style of vocal, whereas American and European bands tend to favour the more shouty metalcore approach. I think the latter is easier on the voicebox long-term, but the former sounds way better to me in general.

Malice Mizer are a pretty cool Japanese band from the 90s and early 00s. They aren't MDM, more like gothic rock and metal, but I always thought they had a really unique and interesting sound.

As is often the case with Japanese bands they go in heavy on the performance aspect as well, which some will love and others will think is ridiculous.

Yeah, Ryo's (Their old vocalist and bassist) vocals were a somewhat higher screaming, and I fucking loved it. Sadew's (Their current vocalist) vocals are pretty good too, but they're pretty much just confined to metalcore shouts on the studio albums he's been in. I have no idea why though, since he can scream like a motherfucker, as evidenced by this video. They're like In Flames in that every album is rather different, which I quite like, though their lineup is a massive revolving door. It's no Fleetwood Mac, but they've had I think five different vocalists now? And that's not even talking about how Sadew left around 2008-10 before coming back in 2017-19. "Ag2o" is easily my favorite song by them, from the gorgeous guitar tone, nice but not overdone trance elements, and contrasting vocals, though "Final Sky" (Which is a pretty awesome song) is easily their most popular one- So much so that there are four different studio versions of it, with only one of their vocalists not having a version that she sung on.

Oh yeah, Idolator has two different versions- One for the European (And Japanese? I forget which version they use.) tracklist and one for the North American tracklist. The NA version drops two fucking awesome songs, though I prefer its order over the EU version.

If you know any cool Japanese MDM bands, please let me know. I'm in a serious need of them.

Last edited:
I came across Serpent recently, who have a pretty old school MDM sound. You can tell they were pretty heavily influenced by the European MDM style of the time - production is a little on the raw side.

Vocals are a mixture of lower growls and Alexi Laiho-style screams.

Lost Eden and Ares are also pretty good.

Reactions: Xpyro125
I came across Serpent recently, who have a pretty old school MDM sound. You can tell they were pretty heavily influenced by the European MDM style of the time - production is a little on the raw side.

Vocals are a mixture of lower growls and Alexi Laiho-style screams.

Lost Eden and Ares are also pretty good.

Serpent's got my favorite of the three songs, but they're all pretty good. I'll look into more from these bands, I appreciate it.