Five Former Members Of In Flames Unite In The Halo Effect

A bit disappointed with that TBH. If you like that boring old generic melodeath I guess you can say it's okay-ish.

But I really expected they would do something brave and life-changing like Siren Charms or STYE.

Damn, that's pretty cool. Nothing seriously inventive or progressive (And it doesn't need to be), but it's still some fantastic riffing that I'd love to see on their next work.

Listening to DotL instrumentally, I can say that with Stanne's vocals removed from the equation the only songs that sound anything like In Flames are:

Conditional
A Truth Worth Lying For (guitar in the chorus is literally a variation of the OFTW chorus melody)
The Path of Fierce Resistance (although I'd say like a weird mixture of Reroute and newer IF)

Nothing else sounds anything like IF, even Last of Our Kind, which Jesper wrote.

Last edited:
320057758-3017549228382314-8147411455273423790-n.jpg

Maaaaan I wish I could go to this. I'm not a huge Meshuggah fan and Scar Symmetry without Christian is pretty meh, but seeing those four bands share a stage would be really cool.

Listening to DotL instrumentally, I can say that with Stanne's vocals removed from the equation the only songs that sound anything like In Flames are:

Conditional
A Truth Worth Lying For (guitar in the chorus is literally a variation of the OFTW chorus melody)
The Path of Fierce Resistance (although I'd say like a weird mixture of STYE and Battles)

Nothing else sounds anything like IF, even Last of Our Kind, which Jesper wrote.

Dude, the song Days of the Lost might as well be called Embody the Invisible 2.

Reactions: shad0w__
Some photos with classical instruments on their SM. Hopefully we'll get some new music soon...

I've been listening to The Path of Fierce Resistance a lot lately. Wasn't sure about it originally, but I quite like it now. Definitely has a stronger IF vibe than a lot of the other DotL tracks.

At first, it was good and that was it. Now, I also appreciate it more than I did. The while album is still amazing. I've been listening to it the whole week.

« Conditional » is the real surprise to me, really nostalgic melody. But the album lacks of agression and it’s not very enjoyable production wise. A faster second album with some folk melodies would be great ! :heh:

It’s like nobody wants to be thrashy/aggressive again these days (In Flames, Soilwork, At the Gates…)

Reactions: eochaid
DotL was, in many ways, more of a tribute to the early-to-mid-2000s style of MDM, which was as a whole very mid-tempo. I think next album will likely be a bit more varied, I'd definitely like to see a lot more of those traditional Swedish folk melodies brought back on a couple of tracks.

For me, as long as the songs keep on hooking me at an emotional level, I don't care even if they keep on repeating the same formula once and once again.

There are bands enough experimenting with different sounds and pushed Ng the boundaries to their limits. And I listen to some of those bands. But, music, at this level, I must feel it, not just listen to it. In that regard, DOTL is perfect for me. So GS like Conditional or FWIB are now among my favourite songs ever.

The good thing is that, depending on what I need to listen at the moment, I can pick old IF, I can pick Dimension Zero, I can pick Passenger and I can pick THE. I see all of this as complementary. And that is a good thing.

New For me, as long as the songs keep on hooking me at an emotional level, I don't care even if they keep on repeating the same formula once and once again

Very true, the thing is the emotional level was so high with pre ASOP albums that it makes THE sounds a bit bland.

(Although "Conditional" is a real success from this perspective)

Reactions: eochaid
From an interview with Anders for a Spanish magazine.

The vocalist ends by stating that he'll listen to them if they're still a band after putting out five albums, and that he's already listened to Dark Tranquility, which is what he's been told they're most like: "Let's say they make five albums and they're still a band, so that's when I hear them. Really, I'm not curious. People tell me what they sound like, tell me they sound more like Dark Tranquility than In Flames, and I've heard Dark Tranquility before, and I like them. ”.